I Really need some help with this sew in weave

:sad: I'VE JUST REALIZED A THIRD OF MY HAIR IS DAMAGED due to sew in weave. I really enjoy my weave and want to continue wearing it while I grow my hair to my goal length. My hair is natural and simular to Rudy on the Cosby show :)ohwell: sorry I'm a newbie unfamilar with all the type labels). I know that in the past I wasn't taking care of it, but what else could be going on? most of it looks like major breakage my hair right now is between 1 1/2 and 10 in and all different lengths in between. Something is wrong in the process. My hair shouldn't be that bad off. I do admit I wasn't taking care of it but 1/3 of my hair is damaged. Does anyone have a link or thread of the do's, don'ts, what for's, and how to's of the sew in weave.

PLEASE HEP MEH! HEP MEH! :wallbash:

while you may enjoy your sew-ins (cuz I know i did), it may be beneficial to give your hair a break from them until you figure out what it needs the most.

One major thing is to keep your hair underneath moisturized and conditioned, that alone will help with the breakage.

while you may enjoy your sew-ins (cuz I know i did), it may be beneficial to give your hair a break from them until you figure out what it needs the most.

One major thing is to keep your hair underneath moisturized and conditioned, that alone will help with the breakage.
Thank you sis for your reply, :ohwell: I want need that sew in (ok maybe just a tad bit dramatic) your right I didn't moisturize, I've learned my lesson. You seem to have some experience, what's the best way to get moister to my scalp and hair will it's weaved. Any other do's and don'ts. Anything else you or anyone can offer will help :perplexed

co-washing it while you're in the shower can help; also, purchasing a spray-in moisturizer would help.

Simply stand under the shower water and let the water run through the scalp, then co-wash your hair underneath. You can do this by simply lifting up the weave and running the conditioner through your hair. try not to be rough or manipulate the hair. just slather the conditioner on and let your hair soak it up some. then simply stand back under the water to rinse it.

Then use your spray-in moisturizer (maybe mixed with a little leave-in) and spray ot thoroughly throughout your hair and scalp ( i think this is the perfect time to be heavy-handed with product).

Then style the weave without manipulating your hair too much.

This simple step really helped me maintain my hair without sacrificing progress.

co-washing it while you're in the shower can help; also, purchasing a spray-in moisturizer would help.

Simply stand under the shower water and let the water run through the scalp, then co-wash your hair underneath. You can do this by simply lifting up the weave and running the conditioner through your hair. try not to be rough or manipulate the hair. just slather the conditioner on and let your hair soak it up some. then simply stand back under the water to rinse it.

Then use your spray-in moisturizer (maybe mixed with a little leave-in) and spray ot thoroughly throughout your hair and scalp ( i think this is the perfect time to be heavy-handed with product).

This simple step really helped me maintain my hair without sacrificing progress.

Your a doll! Thank you!!!

I think I was being very careless and rough with my hair!

So we can get a better understanding, what exactly did you do to your hair and what did you use in it? Was your hair braided tight?

Actually, my stylist does braid on the tighter end, she's gotten better, next time (I've been breaking for almost 2 mos now) I'll have her braid even looser. Does anyone think I should use synthetic hair to support mine. I've always used my own to minimize breakage. my hair is natural. I know I haven't been gentle at all with my hair and that was part of the problem.
Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this.

Honey, I have a rule when it comes to my hair. You only get to jack my **** up ONCE.

If she is accustomed to braiding too tightly, let her learn to loosen it up on somebody else's head.

BTW, the way you describe the breakage sounds like a rough take-down process to me. How did you take it down? Did you use a seam ripper or scissors? This is one of the key reasons to use a net... it makes it way easier to cut the tracks off without cutting your progress off.

HTH

I was frustrated with undoing the knot and cut my hair when I last had a sewn in. I think you have to really take care of it while you have the weave. Make sure your hair is moisturized.

Honey, I have a rule when it comes to my hair. You only get to jack my **** up ONCE.

If she is accustomed to braiding too tightly, let her learn to loosen it up on somebody else's head.

BTW, the way you describe the breakage sounds like a rough take-down process to me. How did you take it down? Did you use a seam ripper or scissors? This is one of the key reasons to use a net... it makes it way easier to cut the tracks off without cutting your progress off.

HTH
:lachen: okay, I get the point. (It really isn't funny b/c I'm basically starting from scratch.) joyousnerd, but wouldn't a net be rough on my hair as well? This is something to seriously consider. Does anyone know the answer to this?

I was a former weave addict. I agree, you have to give your hair a break. I wish I would have done that more often. My hair liked it when I took a break from the weaves. Also make sure you deep condtion your hair and also keep it moisturized. I also agree with above too about taking hair down carefully. The net protects the your hair in my opinion. It also helps you distinguish what is your hair and what is not.

Back