I relaxed on Wednesday...dying to wash my hair...should I?

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I relaxed on Wednesday I'm dying to wash my hair. Trying to decide if I should or shouldn't. The reasons I want to wash are because my hair always feels limp after my relaxer and the first wash always adds some body back in. I really need to give myself a protein treatment and a deep moisturizing treatment. I also want to check out my texture (I'm transitioning to texlaxed...I think I have 2-3 inches of texlaxed hair).

Should I wash/protein treatment this soon?

Isis

I wash and deep condition every 3 days anyway, including after a relaxer. I feel Saturday is good for washing and deep moisturizing conditioning so it's nice and fresh for Easter. No protein treatments though for a couple of weeks after a relaxer. I learned that on this board.

RabiaElaine

Isis said:
I wash and deep condition every 3 days anyway, including after a relaxer. I feel Saturday is good for washing and deep moisturizing conditioning so it's nice and fresh for Easter. No protein treatments though for a couple of weeks after a relaxer. I learned that on this board.

Why is that? Can you explain??

Thanks

Isis

RabiaElaine said:
Why is that? Can you explain??

Thanks

I had to look up some threads in my saved LHCF notes :fan:
This is page 9 of the No Hardcore Protein for 2 weeks after relaxer thread where Tasha shares some info. Supergirl started this thread and answered some of my questions just like yours on page 7 and 8 about when to use protein after a relaxer and made some good points. You may want to start reading it from the beginning. This is a good thread to save. :yep:

Somehow the protein (unless it's very mild, like in my Humectress) can chemically affect the relaxer results if used too soon. I can't remember the details on how this works but I'll re-read this thread too.:)

ETA: I bumped the thread for you.

Last edited:

Northern_Belle

I have always used aphogee after relaxing ... that is after rinsing out the relaxer and using the neutralizing shampoo, and I have never had a problem. If you have never done this and you don't know how your hair would react, maybe it's best that you wait. I've heard some of the ladies hear say that they've had problems using protein after relaxing.

Good Luck!

carolina_belle

Washing should be fine, but I would hold off on the heavy protein. I had some serious reversion with heavy protein a couple of days after a relaxer. I was surprised because before that experience, I firmly felt that relaxed hair couldn't revert. Had to learn the hard way, though.

Synthia

EquineLova said:
I have always used aphogee after relaxing ... that is after rinsing out the relaxer and using the neutralizing shampoo, and I have never had a problem. If you have never done this and you don't know how your hair would react, maybe it's best that you wait. I've heard some of the ladies hear say that they've had problems using protein after relaxing.

Good Luck!

I just relaxed today and immediately after shampooing I sprayed on some Ultra Sheen Duo-Tex protein conditioner...that gave my hair lots of body and strengthened it. After a quick moisturizing conditioner, I then did the Aphoghee Intensive Reconstructor (not the hardcore treatment ..the reconstructor you leave in for 3 to 5 minutes). So, that was a second, but quick protein fix -- it has Keratin in it.

Anyway, my hair came out feeling marvelous. And Yes, I do plan to wash my hair tomorrow since I'm a daily washer.

I've washed my hair the day after relaxing for years with no problem ...I like to really make sure I give my hair excellent conditioning after relaxing.

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Synthia said:
I just relaxed today and immediately after shampooing I sprayed on some Ultra Sheen Duo-Tex protein conditioner...that gave my hair lots of body and strengthened it. After a quick moisturizing conditioner, I then did the Aphoghee Intensive Reconstructor (not the hardcore treatment ..the reconstructor you leave in for 3 to 5 minutes). So, that was a second, but quick protein fix -- it has Keratin in it.

Anyway, my hair came out feeling marvelous. And Yes, I do plan to wash my hair tomorrow since I'm a daily washer.

I've washed my hair the day after relaxing for years with no problem ...I like to really make sure I give my hair excellent conditioning after relaxing.

Do you use a lye or no-lye relaxer?