I straightened my hair with a temp control hot comb

dlove

only one concern-- my thick and coily 4b hair gets stuck at the ends when trying to pass thus leaving about 300 tiny broken hairs everywhere! On my back, shoulders, sink, and in the hot comb. I detangled in the shower, sectioned, plaited each section, let it dry for 60%, unplaited, combed out and blow dried each section, applied chi silk infusions before blowdrying on low heat, and gave that shot of cool air after my hair was dry. I did not get a smooth pass. It was always a snag or snarle only at the ends. BTW- I did an ACV rinse before my moisturizing rinse. After the hot comb press, I flat ironed (one pass) for bumped ends.

What can i do to remedy the broken ends? I tried pressing the ends first then the rest of the strands. I also tried small sections. On second thought, maybe my small sections weren't so small, about a thumbs length and width.

Also, how many Hot Comb passes is too many?

Thick haired 4b naturals that press to the rescue, please

Last edited:

dicapr

I always comb each section again before using the hot comb. If your hair is anything like mine, it starts to coil back on itself pretty quickly, even after blow drying. I blow dry each plat, the rebraid it to keep it streached. I comb each small section with a small tooth comb (about the size of the pressing combs teeth) right before passing the hot comb through it. That usually aboids the brakage that comes from tangels.

dlove

Thanks... I will do just that. Blow dry, plait again and comb with small tooth comb before the pass with the hot comb.

balisi

Has it been a while since you've had your ends trimmed? It sounds as though the comb got stuck at the point where your hair needs trimming.

dlove

The last time I had my ends trimmed was in early August by a professional.

In August, the professional also removed color (white substance placed in my hair to remove previous color rinses) and replaced it with an auburn permanent color which I hated and had it replaced with a dark brown dye 2 weeks later. As the grays come rolling back in in droves, 1 month ago I colored my hair with Bigen black:wallbash: . This made my hair hard.

How important is it for naturals to trim to their hair when they normally wear wash and gos?

aloof one

The last time I had my ends trimmed was in early August by a professional.

In August, the professional also removed color (white substance placed in my hair to remove previous color rinses) and replaced it with an auburn permanent color which I hated and had it replaced with a dark brown dye 2 weeks later. As the grays come rolling back in in droves, 1 month ago I colored my hair with Bigen black:wallbash: . This made my hair hard.

How important is it for naturals to trim to their hair when they normally wear wash and gos?

If you are going to flat iron I think you do need to trim because breakage could be sign that the ends of your hair needs to be trimmed.

have you seen Pinkskates' fotki? I snuck in there yesterday--- She explains how she hot combs her hair on it, shes a 4a, but I am 4a and 4b and she basically does the same thing I do to my kitchen. I have to blowdry it, then comb it out with a fine tooth comb after using the wide tooth comb. Then I hold my hair taut while I run the hot comb through it so it doesnt snag.

PuffyBrown

You know, Pinkskates presses her hair regularily, maybe you can pm her to shed some light on this thread?

I hope you get it all worked out.

dlove

:grin: Where in the world do you think I got my regimen from?
Pink Skates of course.:grin:

This is the very first time I pressed my own hair with a hot comb, like she suggested. I probably missed the "combing the hair with a fine tooth comb and holding the hair taut before the press" step.​

aloof one

:grin: Where in the world do you think I got my regimen from?
Pink Skates of course.:grin:

This is the very first time I pressed my own hair with a hot comb, like she suggested. I probably missed the "combing the hair with a fine tooth comb and holding the hair taut before the press" step.​

well i hope your hair comes out nice next time. Ive had the same experience, i kept hearing crunching and seeing little hairs fall off my ends. youll get it, i think the first time is always crappy for everyone:ohwell: i almost threw mine away

Country gal

I always comb each section again before using the hot comb. If your hair is anything like mine, it starts to coil back on itself pretty quickly, even after blow drying. I blow dry each plat, the rebraid it to keep it streached. I comb each small section with a small tooth comb (about the size of the pressing combs teeth) right before passing the hot comb through it. That usually aboids the brakage that comes from tangels.

Same hair. My hairstylist did the same thing when she pressed my hair.

dlove

Here is my Straightening Regimen:
1. Shampoo (only once)
2. Deep Protein Condition w/heat
3. Rinse, Do ACV rinse, rinse
4. Moisturize using a deep moisturizer conditioner
5. Rinse w/ cool water
6. Detangle in shower with water only
7. Section off hair into 6-8 plaits
8. Let hair air dry to about 60%
9. Use dime size amount of Chi Silk Infusion

10.Blow dry each plait, then re braid it to keep it stretched. Comb each small section with a small tooth comb and hold hair taut right before passing the hot comb through it. That usually avoids the breakage that comes from snags and tangles.

11. Use white paper towels to gauge how hot the hot comb is. If the Hot Comb turns the paper towels brown then it is too hot to put into your hair.

Is there anything I need to add to this to make my process run smoother?

Last edited:

dlove

well i hope your hair comes out nice next time. Ive had the same experience, i kept hearing crunching and seeing little hairs fall off my ends. youll get it, i think the first time is always crappy for everyone:ohwell: i almost threw mine away

Your reply really warmed my heart. I was really wanting to take the hot comb back to Sally's and going to a beautician. I believe in myself. I can do this and do it successfully. Thank you.

One a very positive note, I don't have any other breakage. The comb is free of "little bits"

Thank all of you ladies.