I think everyone should read this: From Ent.Board "Tyra Show"

Missi

Blossssom said:
of a white woman? LOL!

It was another "race-related" theme where she had women of four different races and "alleged" cultures on the show telling America what was acceptable in their community (men basically) and what was not.

I almost died when Tyra said her natural hair was similar to the "curly" haired white woman's, and the white woman didn't have a curl to be found ANYWHERE in her head!

LOL!

That show was a hot mess! Tyra has become so fake; it's unbelievable.

Oh and THEN an Asian woman with the blonde hair was about to put the 'gorilla' looking black woman on notice about HER "hair", but Tyra quickly moved on because that discussion would have led to "So Tyra, why do YOU wear somebody else's hair?" LOL!

I was on the floor! If you missed it, you need to catch it. That entire episode was hilarious.

The worst panelist was the white girl, though. I'm pretty sure she got her a$$ kicked after the show.

And then at the end of the show, Tyra had the nerve to call herself "natural"... or "sort of" touching her wig. Heehee!

when it came to the hair section: Tyra did stop the guest on her show from getting on our hair: She had an Asian woman w/ blonde hair: and the ladies said BLONDE hair doesn't look good on Asian women: The black lady said: Blonde hair isn't ur natural hair: ur being fake. The black lady is wearing a weave and the Asian girl was definitly bout to get on her:
Tyra had 4 women on stage and none were black: same goes for the breast and booty.
Tyra said she had that soft kind of straight hair: closer to white women: and she said that Black girls always told her that they want her hair: As the camera passed thru the crowd: most of them had neck length hair:: I would say its 50/50 between healthy looking (full) and damaged (see thru/thin looking hair). I felt like I wish someone from this board would have been there to step in and speak up on why our hair commonly short but explain why and say how it can easly be fixed: Mainly the hair part was really cut out on us: Maybe we need to go on these shows: COME On my NIKO"S COUSINS

AwesomelyNappy

I think that between her and Oprah, that somebody needs to do an in-depth truthful show on Black Hair. Myths, Truths, and History. It should be a two or three part series because i dont think you could cover all the mis-information and the truths in just one hour... lol i dont know... I think that a majority of people still have horrible misconceptions about black hair (just last week on Shear Genius, the white man didn't know a thing about black hair and overloaded it with product and grease because he thought we didn't produce any oils or something, the white lady pick the black girl with the straightest hair of the models -maybe 2c, 3a/b because i think she was too intimidated by the "kinker" types, and one of the black men gave a 4 something hair type a relaxer because he said it "needed" it....sheesh!). I hear all the time that black hair cant grow long unless you're mixed with something directly or down the line....

Tyra is a mess tho. I cant comment on her natural type because i cant remember ever seeing her without a weave or a LF. She needs to start using her power for good and not evil!!lol And her and that black guest judge or whatever cant talk because they both were sporting unnatural looking weaves.... at least make me BELIEVE its really yours before you start making judgements on other peoples hair!!!

and i think that asians or other nonwhites can look good with colored hair if its done right!

Lusa

Honestly IMO neither Tyra or Okra have the capacity to talk about the "Real Deal about Black Hair" coz they seemingly have blinders on their eyes. We would be better off setting up a blog or something to address these issues or finding another avenue to bring this issue to light.

Last edited:

sareca

Lusa said:
Honestly IMO neither Tyra or Okra have the capacity to talk about the "Real Deal about Black Hair" coz they seemingly have blinders on their eyes. We would be better off setting up a blog or something to address these issues or finding another avenue to bright this issue to light.

She said okra!:lachen:

Bint Yusef

Lusa said:
Honestly IMO neither Tyra or Okra have the capacity to talk about the "Real Deal about Black Hair" coz they seemingly have blinders on their eyes. We would be better off setting up a blog or something to address these issues or finding another avenue to bright this issue to light.
I agree they are both way too caught up in the matrix to really bring it. I can just see the water downed special now.

If anything they could perhaps pick the right panelist then they could shut up and not say nothin!:lachen:

Lusa

OnAHairQuest said:
I agree they are both way too caught up in the matrix to really bring it. I can just see the water downed special now.

If anything they could perhaps pick the right panelist then they could shut up and not say nothin!:lachen:

Disclaimer - I don't hate Okra or Tyra, this is just my opinion and observations.

Picking panelists would be fine with me, but the problem is those two hosts are not known for letting their guests speak uninterrupted. "Oh my god, I was just talking about this with Gayle the other day", "this is an issue my girls had to deal on the first season of ANTM"....SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

So, even if they picked some of our seasoned posters here or NP to appear on either show to dispel myths and show that black women can grow hair long (relaxed or natural), those ladies wouldn't stand a chance and would be drowned out in a minute which is sad.

AwesomelyNappy

Lusa said:
Disclaimer - I don't hate Okra or Tyra, this is just my opinion and observations.

Picking panelists would be fine with me, but the problem is those two hosts are not known for letting their guests speak uninterrupted. "Oh my god, I was just talking about this with Gayle the other day", "this is an issue my girls had to deal on the first season of ANTM"....SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

So, even if they picked some of our seasoned posters here or NP to appear on either show to dispel myths and show that black women can grow hair long (relaxed or natural), those ladies wouldn't stand a chance and would be drowned out in a minute which is sad.

OMG!!! LMAO:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: you are so right its wrong!!!! I could totally see that happening!!! Its always about them!!! I about died when i read that because its so true!!!

Energist

It's a shame that we have 2 popular Black talk show hosts and they cannot even properly approach our community issues! I've got to give Oprah props though, because she is making the conscious effort. I've noticed that she's been having shows that make her "White audience" uncomfortable, because it focuses around Black issues. I appreciate that. She probably feels herself retired a bit now and does whatever she wants on her show, whereas before she had to cater to and tip toe around her White audience with shows to keep them watching :lol:

naijamerican

Energist said:
It's a shame that we have 2 popular Black talk show hosts and they cannot even properly approach our community issues! I've got to give Oprah props though, because she is making the conscious effort. I've noticed that she's been having shows that make her "White audience" uncomfortable, because it focuses around Black issues. I appreciate that. She probably feels herself retired a bit now and does whatever she wants on her show, whereas before she had to cater to and tip toe around her White audience with shows to keep them watching :lol:

I totally agree with your whole post, especially the bolded. It's so sad to me that such women, in such positions of power, continue to perpetuate myths about Black hair. Then again, if it wasn't for this board and for seeing pictures of such beautiful, healthy hair in people's fotkis, I wouldn't be able to believe it, either. Speaking of which, I hope to have my own fotki by the end of the summer! (Sorry, that was totally off topic but I'm getting excited about it!)

fuchsiastar

awesomely_nappy said:
I think that between her and Oprah, that somebody needs to do an in-depth truthful show on Black Hair. Myths, Truths, and History. It should be a two or three part series because i dont think you could cover all the mis-information and the truths in just one hour... lol i dont know... I think that a majority of people still have horrible misconceptions about black hair (just last week on Shear Genius, the white man didn't know a thing about black hair and overloaded it with product and grease because he thought we didn't produce any oils or something, the white lady pick the black girl with the straightest hair of the models -maybe 2c, 3a/b because i think she was too intimidated by the "kinker" types, and one of the black men gave a 4 something hair type a relaxer because he said it "needed" it....sheesh!). I hear all the time that black hair cant grow long unless you're mixed with something directly or down the line....

I saw that too! I was sooooo disapointed when he gave that girl a relaxer, but then I had to think about the task. They had 1.5 hours to get their hair in a straightened style, that would have been hard for anyone when you include a wash, and condition, and cut (or trim) and then flat iron or whatever. Even if he had rollerset the girls hair, it would have taken forever! I think her hairstyle was so old on her when he got done....he could have done much better with his sassy self!

glamazon386

I saw that episode and I really don't think that Tyra meant it like her hair is close to being straight. That woman was used for illustrative purposes. When they were talking about hair that womans hair was supposed to be frizzy/curly/unkept looking. To be honest, I think they could have picked a better person for that because I didn't see not a curl up in that woman's head. They should have found a white person with really curly hair. I took her comment about her hair looking more like that meant it looked more textured in comparison to straight hair. I think people are reading too much into this. And mostly the Tyra dislikers.

However I will admit that I thought that it was strange that she didn't do a comparison with black people and put some natural hair up there but if you notice when she did dark skin/light skin she used two latina women. I don't know if she was trying to steer clear of black people because she didn't want to get too deep and confuse her audience or if she didn't wanna go there because it's been talked about way too much. She did preface the dark skin/light skin thing by saying it's been prevalent in the black community then she went on to say that it happens in the latina community too.

The white lady on the panel needed to be smacked. She drove me insane. As well as the black lady on the panel. She looked a mess with that wig and that makeup. And while a lot of people didn't like what she was saying or don't agree y'all know a lot of it was true and it's what the majority of black people believe. Just because it's wrong doesn't mean that it isn't the reality. Every black person in the world isn't as enlightened as most of the people on this board. And that's the truth. Just like that post that got posted over here from BHM. We all might think it's crazy and wrong and whatever else. And it is. But we all have to realize that there really are people out there who think like that in 2007.

The fact of the matter is people have to realize that Tyra and Oprah aren't really going to go that deep into black issues because they don't wanna rock the boat. It makes their white audiences uncomfortable. Especially with Tyra being a new talk show host I'm sure she doesn't want to lose viewers because she's always talking about black stuff. But as for Oprah, she should be stepping out more. She's been doing her show for what over 20 yrs now? She should be able to say and do anything she wants. But I think Oprah is still brainwashed just based on some of the comments she has made about her hair or our hair over the years. Remember when the viewers wrote in saying they didn't like her hair flat and she explained she just got a fresh perm? Or about her wearing the ponytail for a few days when she felt like her hair had finally got some length and black little girls had plaits sticking up all over the place like she did when she was a kid? A lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by those statements which makes me think she hasn't been enlightened yet and probably never will. I love both Oprah and Tyra though.

Last edited:

disgtgyal

wow thats crazy personally im not a big fan of tyra i've caught her talk show a few times and she just seems fulsome... i remember seeing a clip of her body image camp or something like that for lil girls to become comfortable in their skin and she was basically saying how she feels guilty becoz she knows a lot of her success is due to the fact that she was able to look "white" so that's y on most episodes of ANTM she wears natural hair styles and im jus like u're suppose to b teaching them self acceptance when if im nt mistaken have never actually worn ur real hair and ur natural hair color is darker than the weaves u wear... i just think she's sending mixed issues and she's trying way too hard to broaden her niche audience

Lusa

Honestly, I do not think that's has anything to do with either host not wanting to 'rock the boat'. C'mon now, I really don't see audiences being appalled by the subject matter that they would walk out or start 'okrasux.com'.

They are not discussing it because neither of them seems to be equipped with the right information on the subject. And they're obviously not surrounded by people that do. Most of us know what that's like, so I am not surprised in the least.

glamazon386

Lusa said:
Honestly, I do not think that's has anything to do with either host not wanting to 'rock the boat' C'mon now, I really don't see audiences being appalled by the subject matter that they would walk out or start 'okrasux.com'. .

They are not discussing it because neither of them seems to be equipped with the right information on the subject. And they're obviously not surrounded by people that do. Most of us know what that's like, so I am not surprised in the least.

lol@ okrasux.com... They will write in when there's something they don't like. They do it on Oprah's show all the time. Sometimes she even brings it up at the beginning of the show. If Oprah or Tyra really wanted to, they could do the research and get the right information. But we all know that they're not going to. That's too much like right. I think they're just trying to be safe. Especially Tyra. I just wish she wouldn't do controversial topics. If she's not gonna do it right then she needs to steer clear of it altogether. No sense in half assing it.

Dijah

I honestly think Oprah has no clue as to what is going on with her hair. I read her hair stylist book. He was the first black person I heard speak of washing hair every other day. I think his name is Andre? Anyway, he does her hair every day. She told a story of how when she started in broadcasting she was convinced to get a relaxer which tore her hair up. She cut her hair off and did not want to be bothered with it. Then she found her current guy at the beginning of her career. I think she told this story on Biography or some show about her life. So I guess he does it and she doesn't have to think about hair, hers or anyone elses. One of the spoils of being rich.

glamazon386

Dijah said:
I honestly think Oprah has no clue as to what is going on with her hair. I read her hair stylist book. He was the first black person I heard speak of washing hair every other day. I think his name is Andre? Anyway, he does her hair every day. She told a story of how when she started in broadcasting she was convinced to get a relaxer which tore her hair up. She cut her hair off and did not want to be bothered with it. Then she found her current guy at the beginning of her career. I think she told this story on Biography or some show about her life. So I guess he does it and she doesn't have to think about hair, hers or anyone elses. One of the spoils of being rich.

Yeah she used to have an afro when she was a newscaster. I don't remember if viewers didn't like it or the station but she ended up getting a perm and her hair fell out.

Missi

I felt the show opened up some eyes to people but I can tell the white section wasn't agreeing w/ the white lady

and um.........I don't know if you guys remember but the movie "HIGHER LEARNING" w/ Tyra in it: her hair was real: no weave: can't remember if it was relaxed or natural but no way in hell was that close to white: and I do agree w/ wat someone said above: she did pertray herself as white when she got into the modeling business: white person hair: white person body: light-skinned. I don't know any black (or white either) model that came up in Tyras time with a booty: some thick thighs: and natural hair: IN AMERICA...I think tyra gave it easy to herself