Tuesday on Tyra....

Lady Kay 21

I just saw the commercial about this and thought it would be a really interesting show. This tuesday the Tyra show is having a show about what is "good" hair, and how different views on hair affect women in the black community. I am definitely going to tune in and watch this show. She is also going to be featuring natural and relaxed women and having them tell their stories about how their hair affects them...

Just thought I'd let you ladies know since this is often a huge topic on this board! :)

Ms_Twana

Thanks.

I sent her a message a long time ago telling her she needed to do something on black hair and educating black women on hair care. On one show she made a comment around the lines of black womens hair don't grow as long as whites. I'm glad she's finally doing SOMETHING!!! I even recommended she check this site out.

Zay-neey

ill watch, but sumtimes with these topics i too get a bit embarrassed.
im also hoping that she doesnt let another race , tell thier opinion. cuz sometimes they really just dont understand.

Jetblackhair

I'm kinda on the fence about these types of topics on national TV.

I remember when Sheri from the view talked about how she wears wigs and the next day I had a woman asking me if I wear wigs, because Sheri does. :ohwell:

PearlyCurly

Why does Tyra always wear cornrows when she wants to "show off" her natural hair.. like seriously:hardslap:

She cant do any other kind of style besides cornrows?!..

Last edited:

glamazon386

Why does Tyra always wear cornrows when she wants to "show off" her natural hair.. like seriously:hardslap:

She cant do any other kind of style besides cornrows?!..

She wore it up in a ponytail/bun type thing on that backwards day episode but you couldn't see how long it is. :ohwell:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I just watched the clip. I just knew she would have an extra ignorant person on...the one talking about our natural hair reminding her of chimpanzees:wallbash:... Okay, now I understand why the natural/relaxed debate gets heated at times.

that_1_grrrl

I just watched the clip. I just knew she would have an extra ignorant person on...the one talking about our natural hair reminding her of chimpanzees:wallbash:... Okay, now I understand why the natural/relaxed debate gets heated at times.

Lol. That's doubly ignorant because chimps have straight hair.

Considering it's Tyra, I think I will pass. Her shows are just so dumb.

Kay.Dee

Lol. That's doubly ignorant because chimps have straight hair.

Considering it's Tyra, I think I will pass. Her shows are just so dumb.
I know that's what I was thinking :lol: If anything, its hair should remind her of herself ...stupid :nono:
I know that show is going to be horrible, I don't feel like white people asking us questions based on this. But I will still record it on my dvr to see

Lucky's Mom

I cannot stand Tyra.

She's got some nerve trying to sell off these kinds of shows as legitimate.

If she stopped wearingthose wigs for 3 minutes, I might feel differently.
The message that she sends is - My hair is not worth you seeing. So I will spend LOADS of Cash to let you never see it.

Please. She cuts everyones hair on ANTM.....

Jealousy - perhaps?

PearlyCurly

I know that's what I was thinking :lol: If anything, its hair should remind her of herself ...stupid :nono:
I know that show is going to be horrible, I don't feel like white people asking us questions based on this. But I will still record it on my dvr to see

i was thinking that exact same thing... im like wait a minute chimps do not have curly hair:nono::lachen:

Jetblackhair

There was a Tyra episode, I don't know maybe 2 years ago where she showed what she looks like before she hits the makeup chair.

Her real hair looked liked 3c and it was somewhat wet with waves and elongated curls. She had it parted down the center and her hair came to her shoulders.

It was a quick scene, fast forward she came out on the show with her long lf.

Did anyone see this show? I remember thinking is that her real hair or a shorter lf.

LovinLea

i like tyra, although she's not a good interviewer, rushes things, and doesn't always use proper grammar.

i'll be watching, especially since she's all about embracing all different types, so hopefully she'll show all different types of AA hair. (they usually only show dreads and weaves)

BostonMaria

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies, I just sent Tyra a comment. And for all of you ladies that said you won't be watching because you'll be embarrassed...PLEASE watch. And if you don't like what you see....write her @ss and tell her about it. :grin: We can't let her get away with this stuff. I found the letter that I wrote to her last year. Here it is:

Hello. First of all, let me say that I LOVE the Tyra Show and the topics that are covered. I ESPECIALLY like the topics that hit the Black community. I watched the 2007 show that talked about beauty across all cultures. I also watched the 2008 show, 1st Annual State of the Black Women Union (or something like that).

I believe in the 2007 show, there was a part in the show when hair was being addressed. Tyra, girl you said something that REALLY disturbed me. You said something along the lines of women with Afro textured hair don't or can't grow long hair. And girl I'm here to tell you to do some research on that because you are SOOO WRONG!!

Okay, on to my show idea now. LOL!! Tyra, you should do a show on Black Hair or Black Hair and Self Image. It drives me absolutely insane to hear blacks say their hair can't grow long. It drives me absolutely insane to see little black girls with SEVERELY DAMAGED hair. It drives me absolutely insane to hear black people say, "you got good hair." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???

There is a forum dedicated to helping Black women achieve long, healthy hair. That forum is www.longhaircareforum.com. Please go there and do research on growing your hair long. Not only can RELAXED sistas grow their hair long, but NATURAL sistas (like myself) can grow their hair long as well. We just all need to educate ourselves on proper hair care for our particular hair type. I am BEGGING you to be one of the FIRST to attempt to educate our sisters. We have to stop thinking that we have to be half white to have long or beautiful hair.

There are several ladies on this forum that a lot of us consider to be EXPERTS on growing hair long. Most of these women have waist length hair and beyond. I know that some of them would LOVE to be guest on your show and share what they know. I’ll be waiting for this topic to air.

TYRA...HELP US OUT!!!!!

After reading what I wrote, I guess she may have listened to PARTS of what I wrote but not all of it. She totally left off the HAIRCARE part. And here is what I just sent to her today:

Hello Tyra and/or producers. I have not seen the episode on "good hair" yet, because it doesn't air until Tuesday. I do hope that I'm not disappointed by it.

I wrote in about a year or two ago and suggested that Tyra do an episode educating black women how to care for their hair, be it relaxed, natural, etc. Unfortunately, I don't believe that has taken place yet. I wrote in after seeing an episode where Tyra suggested that the hair of black women don't grow as long as white women. BOY DO I DISAGREE.

I am writing again to ask Tyra to educate herself, and other black women on how to care for our hair and we WILL have hair down our backs just like other ethnicities. Our hair needs to be nurtured because it is extremely fragile. Misuse of it will cause it to not retain length. Not simply because we are black. Please check out some hair boards, such as www.longhaircareforum.com. There you will see tons of black women, relaxed and natural, with waist and tailbone length hair. Something that is the unthinkable to many people.

As I said, I haven't seen the "good hair" show, so I don't know if it is an attempt to show people that your hair doesn't have to be straight or losely curled in order to be "good hair." All healthy hair is “good hair.” I hope that it doesn't add to the many stereotypical views that go along with African American hair.

Tyra, you believe that it is your mission to help young girls. You had shows on body image and showing your girls how to take care of themselves. Please show our young African American girls how to care for their hair and that black hair DOES grow.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I cannot stand Tyra.

She's got some nerve trying to sell off these kinds of shows as legitimate.

If she stopped wearingthose wigs for 3 minutes, I might feel differently.
The message that she sends is - My hair is not worth you seeing. So I will spend LOADS of Cash to let you never see it.

Please. She cuts everyones hair on ANTM.....

Jealousy - perhaps?

This is something that I've always had a problem with, too. For the first time this cycle, she didn't cut Natalie's (a Caucasian woman) hair.

Vonnieluvs08

I don't think that Tyra has any place in doing a show like this when she won't embrace her own hair. I understand that she is constantly working and probably does protective styles to give her hair a break but she never wears her own hair.

I agree with the comments about having an audience of non-black people asking questions about black hair. It reminds me of when I was in school and we had to do a tutorial on black hair (wigs, weaves, braids, natural hair, etc) so that the certain people wouldn't keep asking us questions or embarass themselves.

sexyeyes3616

I think it would be interesting to watch. I would like to see guests who have insightful and constructive perspectives. Not the whole show about self-hate and how "good" hair is better.

aprils13

I love to watch Tyra, Only when she has episodes about when its about fashion, new trends, and makeup. When the shows go deeper then that, ex skin bleaching episode, all she does is the put the people on blast, no help, no uplift.

Another thing, why did she have to name it, good hair vs bad hair. I hate those terms. After this show she should do a follow up show on embracing your hair and STOP comparing it to others.

I'm starting to belive she is selling out.