I THINKING ABOUT BRAIDS!!!!!!!!

deon19

Now I been thinking heavy about getting braids because I execise 5 days a week and 2 time day 2 days out of 5. The problem is :
1 I have color in my hair and I am worried that the braids will damage my hair .
2. I color my hair almost a year ago and that change ther texture of my hair. I am just getting back my good thick hair.
I think that braids will just be easier because I workout 5 days a week. The type of braids that I am thinking about will just be indiviuals .
I just wanted to get other opinions ,so Thank You
in advance.

Well, I think braids are great if you want to give your hair a rest. I got my hair braided last summer with single box braids. I wore them quite long. They were also done with human hair.

Take a look at this link: Grow Afro Hair long

She inspired me to get my hair braided as I had. I made my own briad spray with water glycerin and conditioner and sprayed every single day. After 3 months I removed the braids and found my hair was in great conditon. Prior to braiding it my hair had began to get very dry from being out is heavy sun.

Give it a rest but treat it while it is braided.

Maybe you should do your own, or practice learning how to do them. The kind where you plait halfway down, and leave the rest open is fun!

I've had mine done at the African shop, but find that they are too rough for my hair, and didn't agree with the fire being rubbed on all the braids at the end. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
deon19 said:
Give it a rest but treat it while it is braided.
How do you treat your hair while it braided?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the link. She gives alot of great advise for growing your hair with braids. And she is also very helpful if you write to her.

I still conditioned my hair with the braids. And I sprayed it daily with the conditioner and Glycerin mix. I added this mix to a spray bottle with water and sprayed my braids daily. I also rinsed my braids daily as well. This keeps your own hair moist.

In my opinion this lady's hair while long doesn't look healthy. It looks hard and dry. It doesn't have any shine to it. If that's what one's hair would look like after braids, I'd have to advise against it. /images/graemlins/barf.gif

/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm not trying to be mean, but yeah. This is perfect example of long hair vs healthy hair. Which is better? /images/graemlins/nono.gif Eventhough this website hs been mentioned a few times I have never commented on it before. I'm tired of biting my tongue. I'm going to start saying how I feel on this board. "Fantasy is what we want, but reality is what we need".... (Lauryn Hill) /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't want to see anyone who has long hair, or any hair for that matter, that looks as rough as the lady's hair on that webpage. That is not our goal here at the LHCF. /images/graemlins/look.gif

the picture when she just came outta braids looks dry but i thought it was becos of the 2 year back to back braiding. the pick with her hair all relaxed looks nice.

caramela, i dont think anyone will be offended with your views on robins hair.just let go, girl /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In my opinion this lady's hair while long doesn't look healthy. It looks hard and dry. It doesn't have any shine to it. If that's what one's hair would look like after braids, I'd have to advise against it.

I agree with you. I was looking at the picture on the site and
her hair does not look to healthly it just looks long. I not worried about the length I worried amout how it will look after the braid. But Thanks to everyone

Well, just don't leave the braids in past 2 months, definitely not 3, or you can damage your hair. I did, not saying you would, but I regret it to this day. My hair started loc'ing in some places, and that was not cool. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I had to get a couple of inches chopped off, and I was right back at shoulder length. It was embarassing having someone tell me that my hair was shorter now than when I first started out with them. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

OFF TOPIC:

Deon,

Your curls from the flexi rods are beautiful. /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

Hi Deon19 /images/graemlins/wave.gif

what kind of style you're thinking of getting? if you work out a lot, your best bet is an updo braid style, like cornrowed french roll or updo single braids....

deon19 said:
Now I been thinking heavy about getting braids

[/ QUOTE ]

*spooky look* Come......join US........ /images/graemlins/crystalball.gif

Leshia said:
deon19 said:
Now I been thinking heavy about getting braids

[/ QUOTE ]

*spooky look* Come......join US........ /images/graemlins/crystalball.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

since you have color be very careful cos your hair is even more fragile. maybe dont use the stiff synthethic hair, human is silkier and wont dry your hair out as much. PRIOR to using the hair (the day before) treat the fake hair with ACID rinse, (i will bump the instructions for you) to neutralise any alkalinity in the hair that may dry your hair out more. once you have the braids, wash, deep condition and moisturise daily and your hair will be beautiful when they come out of the braids.

Hmm, I feel like I should reconsidered getting braids done to my hair. I have to admit that I have a full head of healthy hair and I just want to keep away from relaxers and grow it long and more thick. I like conrows and I have no problem getting it but Iw ant more versatility...so what do you guys think. Should I get braids or keep researching?...

Not sure braid extensions would be the best way to go in your situation deon, here's why: I just took down single braid extentions this weekend because to me they were more of a hassle with frequent exercise than a help. They were heavy and when you work out a lot you need to rinse your scalp more which can cause the braids to get fuzzy real fast. I don't mind the fuzziness and continued to rinse my head as often as usual, but there's nothing more annoying that walking around with 5 pounds of wet braids on your head everyday. Also you said that you have color treated hair which probably means you need to deep condition it more often. That's hard to do with braid extentions in.
Not saying that braids are out of the question but I just wanted to share my experience. I really liked my braid style
but for me it was not condusive to frequent exercise.

Back