I thought she was going to damage my hair

mlj

Hello everyone: I am a newbie, I just started my healthy hair journey in Dec 2008 . I am a newbie and granted I don't know alot and I am learning a lot Thanks to you Ladies here a LHCF

I went to the Salon The other day for a DEEP Condition treatment since my dryer went out. I asked for a wash and deep condition. The lady brought out Mizani Condition that said to leave on the hair for 2-5 minutes then rinse. I told her that wasn't a DEEP CONditioner:nono:. and That I wanted to be put under the dryer. She said that it could be used both ways..:perplexed. I say no. " I want a deep conditioner" so she goes in back and brings out some watery stuff called cuticle sealer( i have never heard of it) and said that was a deep conditioner. She said she used it all the time it was one of the best conditioner she had and she would put me under the dryer for 15 minutes with it on my hair. She said she had been doing hair for 30 years and acted like I was Insulting her when i refused to let her put it on my hair.
But my questions are:
1. A deep condition would say deep conditioner right? and specify longer than a 5 min with or with out heat Right?

2. can Mizani be used both ways?

3. Is cuticle sealer a conditioner.

I felt bad like I was putting up a fuss and was acting hard to please. So I ended up letting her put the Mizani conditioner on my hair (hey what can it Hurt) put me under the dryer for 15 minutes. My hair was so dull and lifeless:nono:

Hey This is longest my hair has been in my life (SL) and without breakage:grin: I was so afraid that she may Damage it:perplexed with her 30 years of KNOWLEDGE:ohwell:

Thanks

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Hello everyone: I am a newbie, I just started my healthy hair journey in Dec 2008 . I am a newbie and granted I don't know alot and I am learning a lot Thanks to you Ladies here a LHCF

I went to the Salon The other day for a DEEP Condition treatment since my dryer went out. I asked for a wash and deep condition. The lady brought out Mizani Condition that said to leave on the hair for 2-5 minutes then rinse. I told her that wasn't a DEEP CONditioner:nono:. and That I wanted to be put under the dryer. She said that it could be used both ways..:perplexed. I say no. " I want a deep conditioner" so she goes in back and brings out some watery stuff called cuticle sealer( i have never heard of it) and said that was a deep conditioner. She said she used it all the time it was one of the best conditioner she had and she would put me under the dryer for 15 minutes with it on my hair. She said she had been doing hair for 30 years and acted like I was Insulting her when i refused to let her put it on my hair.
But my questions are:
1. A deep condition would say deep conditioner right? and specify longer than a 5 min with or with out heat Right?

I felt bad like I was putting up a fuss and was acting hard to please. So I ended up letting her put the Mizani conditioner on my hair (hey what can it Hurt) put me under the dryer for 15 minutes. My hair was so dull and lifeless:nono:

Hey This is longest my hair has been in my life (SL) and without breakage:grin: I was so afraid that she may Damage it:perplexed with her 30 years of KNOWLEDGE:ohwell:

Thanks

It is my understanding that you can use any conditioner to deep condition, and I'm pretty sure that you would need to be under the dryer longer than 5 minutes. I'm of the opinion that deep conditioning needs to take place for at least 30min.

countrychickd

As I understand it, you would need to use a conditioner that specifically states that you can use it as a deep conditioner. In the instructions for some conditioners, there are instructions for a more intense condition which state to leave the conditioner in for an extended period of time. This is the conditioner you'll want to use. Other conditioners only pretend to condition the hair. These are the ones that state to leave it in for up to five minutes or less. Your hair seems like it's conditioned well, but in actuality it's not gotten the conditioning benefits that you would have wished. HTH!

msa

There's a lot of controversy over what a real "deep conditioner" is...

a) any conditioner left on for an extended period of time with heat
b)any conditioner left on for an extended period of time without heat
c)a conditioner specifically formulated for deep conditioning (ie the directions say so) left on for an extended time with heat
d)a conditioner specifically formulated for deep conditioning left on for an extended time without heat
e) deep conditioning is a myth and your hair can only absorb so much, so after the first few minutes there's no extra benefit, even if heat is used

So basically, everyone has their own definition. Personally, I don't really believe in DCing anymore. What you did at the salon could be considered deep conditioning. That conditioner may not have agreed with your hair.

Most commercial products don't have directions that say leave on for more than 5-15 minutes. And I've yet to see a product that says to use it with heat, but I've heard that the Aubrey Organic conditioners say that. Generally, if something says to leave it on for more than a few minutes and it's advertised as restorative, penetrating, or "deep/deeply" moisturizing then it would probably be considered a DC.

Check out the DC challenge thread to see a comprehensive list of what people use for DCing.

CAPlush

Affirm 5 n 1 reconstructor states on the bottle to leave on the hair for 30 min for use as a reconstructor treatment. All of my conditioners which I use as deep conditioners state to leave on the hair for 10+ minutes with heat, such as ORS replenishing. Mizani's conditioners are notorious for giving blah results. Your best bet is to look on this forum for good deep conditioner recommendations, try out a few, and steer clear of the salon. Don't worry about deep conditioner "controversies" because that is not going to help/hinder your hair health. If you feel you need deep conditioners, do them. Use the money saved on new equipment and quality products. Salons just aren't compatible with long hair care journeys for most of us :nono:

mlj

Thanks Ladies, I have be so sensitive when it comes to my hair lately, Early in my journey I stopped going to the Salon and found products and a regiment that worked for me and my hair just took off:grin: So I am so afraid of an inbalance so i rushed out to get a salon deep conditioner becasue my dryer was broken, I have since purchase a new dryer and ordered a steamer:lick::drunk:

On the other hand My 9 year old DD hair is still a struggle:wallbash: so I knew how important using the right products that agree with your hair is. I have not found what her likes and responds well too:perplexed

But the thing about it is I pay attention to our now:look: I just don't think it's "Just the way our hair is". ( Breaking, Broken, Dry and Dull)So I am Learning, Learning Learning now Thanks to you guys and I just don't take it for granted that every stylist "KNOWS" how to take care of hair,

Thanks for the input

girlyprincess23

I've asked this question before and what was told to me there is an important difference between the conditioners that say five or less and the ones that say like 10-15 minutes. There is an ingredient in the latter that penetrates deeply. In the former, the 5 minute one, there are only ingredients that coat the hair (probably explains your dullness) to give it the look of being conditioned, but it is not deep conditioned as it does not have the proper ingredients to penetrate the hair shaft. The member that answered this question for me gave me the ingredient that made the difference and everything, I just can't remember the name but it may turn up in a search. But what I do remember is that there is a difference, the directions will let you know which one it is, and any of the deep conditioners can be used with heat for added benefit, and some of them do state that. But some of the conditioners that don't deep condition give excellent slip, like the herbal essences moisturizer in the blue bottle. Also some of them can do both.

BrownEyez22

I prefer/trust to use conditioners that say leave on for 15 or 20mins for my deep conditioning, but thats just me.

Many ladies on here use all types of "conditioners" to deep condition with.

Have you tried putting a baggie on your head and wrapping it with a hot/warm towel? Thats a way to deep condition when you don't have access to a dryer.

Bosslady1

You are right. An instant conditioner only coats the hair cuticle to make it appear healthy. It is a quick fix that hides the problem but doesn't help repair it. Just a camouflage. (like a silicone serum...shine and manageable)

A deep conditioner actually FIX the problem. Or atleast with consistent use tries to mend the problem.

I got this information from Cathy Howse. I am reading her book right now. I am on the last chapter.

Last edited:

SmartyPants

But my questions are:

Thanks

I think you would have been safer letting her use the Mizani and staying under the dryer for 30 mins.

mscocoface

Since your dryer is broke you can put on a conditioning cap and then wrap your head in a wet warm towel and then wrap another towel around the wet warm one.

The heat from your head will work just as well if you don't have a hair dryer. Also you can by one of those heating caps I believe they are less than $25.00

That will solve your issue of dealing with another stylist.