Perm, deep condition and then neutralize and wash?

Wolftrap

This is what my stylist did yesterday. All she did was rinse out the perm and then put deep conditioner in my hair for about 10 minutes and then rinsed it out. Have any of you had this done? I sat under the dryer for about 10 minutes and when my stylist saw me she freaked out and made me get up. She said I was just supposed to sit with the conditioner but not under a dryer. I wonder if I did any damage by sitting under there. Does anyone know?

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
This is what my stylist did yesterday. All she did was rinse out the perm and then put deep conditioner in my hair for about 10 minutes and then rinsed it out. Have any of you had this done? I sat under the dryer for about 10 minutes and when my stylist saw me she freaked out and made me get up. She said I was just supposed to sit with the conditioner but not under a dryer. I wonder if I did any damage by sitting under there. Does anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl that was a big no-no. I don't want to get you all worried but the chemical was still working when you were under the dryer and the heat probably helped the process along.

I have heard of this method (conditioning b/4 neutralizing without heat!

Wolftrap

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl that was a big no-no. I don't want to get you all worried but the chemical was still working when you were under the dryer and the heat probably helped the process along.

I have heard of this method (conditioning b/4 neutralizing without heat!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't mean to worry me???? Oh goodness (fainting) I am worried now. She should have told me not to go under the dryer. Now I'm gonna be thinking my hair is gonna fall out. I gotta do something now. I don't know what but I've never been overprocessed before. Does this mean I need bootcamp?

Nice

Hey Wolftrap,

I am really sorry about the misunderstanding with you stylist. That wa very unprofessional of her not to instruct you correctly. I would give her a call and ask her what are the possible effects of you sitting under the dryer for 10 minuted b/4 getting hair neutralized and what actions you should be taking.

I don't know anyone that this happened to b/4. How is your hair doing right now?

Neroli

What kind of perm did she use? I know with affirm lye mild(and design essentials relaxers) the relaxer is washed out, then a conditioner is put on for 10 minutes (this conditioner is very low ph and begins to immediately neutraliz the chemical as well as replenish moisture and protein while hair is still very fragile and weak). IMO, that is why affirm and design essentials are superior relaxers. I call this a "neutralizing conditioner". After the conditioner is rinsed out, THEN the neutralizing shampoo is used. However, the shampoo doesn't have to work that hard because a lot of the relaxer already neutralized by the condtioner and less washing/manipulation of the hair is need to rinse the relaxer completely out. After the neutralizing shampoo, the same conditioner is put on again another 10 minutes, no heat, and that's rinsed out. Then the leave-in and rollerset.

A lot of the newer relaxer systems are incorporating this "neutralizing conditioner" because it conditions as well as immediately begins to neutralize the relaxer. I'm not sure about the setting under the dryer though, I've never sat under the dryer until AFTER my rollerset . . . so not sure about that one. . .

Wolftrap

Nice- Right now my hair feels fine. My ends are little rough but that's cause I need a trim. I will keep an eye out to see if I notice any other changes

Neroli-she used Vitale relaxer for sensitive scalp.

alliyah4eva203

i did this for my last retouch. something about the cuticles being open so they can absorb the conditioner more. but you are definetly not supposed to do it with heat

Tracy

Use a heavy duty protein to mitigate any damage. The conditioner is a low PH, so it shouldn't do any MAJOR damage....

But the heat was a bad idea. Don't worry though. Use a strong protein once every two weeks or so for a month and a half or so...not Aphoghee...but Nexxus Emergencee or Elasta Breakage Control Serum should do it.

BchBlondeHoni

I have done this method too...but not with heat
. I usually relax, deep condition, then neutralize...etc...I think you can combat any possible damage and just do the protein treatments. Don't worry.

Connie

My stylist rinses out the perm, deep conditions (without heat) for 10-15 minutes, then neutralizes and washes. Your stylist should've been paying more attention to what both you and she was doing.

Connie

My stylist rinses out the perm, deep conditions (without heat) for 10-15 minutes, then neutralizes and washes. Your stylist should've been paying more attention to what both you and she was doing.

cocoa2122

That is the order that my stylist usually did the process. He said to deep condition right after perming because that is the point where the cuticles are mostly open and ready to receive the conditioner. I sat under the dryer and never had any bad side effects from it. My relaxed hair was at its healthiest while going to this stylist. I'm natural now, but if I could put my stylist in my back pocket and tote him around when I move after college, I would have probably been relaxed a little longer.

cutebajangirl

Did she put you under the dryer or did you take it upon yourself to go under the dryer and turn it on? I used the Fiberguard system and you are supposed to be deep conditioned post relaxer for no more than 5 minutes and then neutralized. I think the heat is a concern because you are not supposed to use heat with conditioning at ANY stage in the relaxing process. So I wouldn't be too worried about the heat activating residual chemicals etc, although that is a valid concern. I third the protein treatments although I would use Dudley's DRC beause that is my fav.