I used direct heat for a month and my length is shorter??

kgard7777

This can't be, I blowdried and flat ironed my hair for a month on a weekly basis. When I started this I was bsl now I am an inch or so above bsl now due to breakage I suppose. But in a months time???? please help

This means when I finally reach my goal of mbl or wsl then I wont be able to use direct heat without going back up to shoulder length or something:nono:

I don't have any offerings of help - but that last statement about reaching goals and then not being able to use heat without the risk of going back to sl or APL made me say WOW! That would not be good!
I hope somebody has some advice. Could it be newgrowth shrinkage??

Everyone's hair can not handle direct heat that often. As much as I enjoyed my pincurls I saw the same thing you noticed after a month which is how I ended up on my 'no heat for one year' regimen (which I will complete in 2 months time). When I finally use heat again I will view it as a treat that I do a few times a year versus a few times a month that can lead to a severe setback. Sorry you had that experience. :hug2:

I think you might need to look at your techniques and products that you use.

I cannot use direct heat on a regular basis. and I am ok with that - but Everyone's hair is thier own.

good luck

In the past I would cowash and bun everday and use heat 1 to 2x per month but I got a little heat happy this time. I had no clue this would happen and I use Chi silk for heat protection :(

This can't be, I blowdried and flat ironed my hair for a month on a weekly basis. When I started this I was bsl now I am an inch or so above bsl now due to breakage I suppose. But in a months time???? please help

This means when I finally reach my goal of mbl or wsl then I wont be able to use direct heat without going back up to shoulder length or something:nono:

This happened to me before LHCF -- kept braids for 1 year (1st year law school back in the day) and hair went from SL to below APL when I finally relaxed. Six months later, hair was back at SL. Now I know it was because of weekly blow frying -- even though used good products (Nexxus girl all the way and still!) and only blew fry freshly washed hair once a week and no other heat, lost all that length in 6 months.

Conclusion: MY hair cannot take heat; thus, if I want long hair, heat is out, period. . .

This is horrible! Are there any other sl or longer ladies that had this experience when you finally rewarded yourself for reaching a goal?

This is horrible! Are there any other sl or longer ladies that had this experience when you finally rewarded yourself for reaching a goal?

I chopped my hair in 05 to mid back , just above bs, I had been using heat somewhat regularly on and off for a couple years prior, it just didnt 'feel' good anymore no matter what I did, so I chopped it. I think now it was the heat

:eta: and it still was not as often as once a week , more like every couple/few months

You need to learn how to achieve the same styles you like MINUS the heat:look: Heat works for some and then it does not work for others. Do your ends a favor, kill the heat? K? Your hair will thank you in the long run.

Last edited:
I was doing the blow dry weekly and flat ironing once weekly thing too and though my hair didn't get shorter it wasn't getting longer...it stayed the same for about a good 6 months before I realized I was probably killing whatever progress I had with all that heat...

Long story short...if you like the look that blow drying and flat ironing gives you, you can achieve it in a less damaging way...i.e Rollersetting

Once I found rollersetting...it truly changed my hair...I haven't looked back since.....

Instead of blowing AND flat ironing weekly, how about using large rollers and sitting under a hooded dryer? It may take a lil more time, but your hair may thank you in the long run. The larger the roller, the less curl you'll end up with, say if you want a straight style. You could then go over your roots w/the flat iron, and/or the very ends of your hair if you want a super straight look w/o any bump. Just a thought.

Thanks ladies for the tips.. I actually would only rollerset and flatiron for a long time but I couldn't achieve that Dominican swing like I can with a blow dryer and flat iron but at this point I dont care about that and will just use the blowdryer/ round brush 1x a month from now on.

Instead of blowing AND flat ironing weekly, how about using large rollers and sitting under a hooded dryer? It may take a lil more time, but your hair may thank you in the long run. The larger the roller, the less curl you'll end up with, say if you want a straight style. You could then go over your roots w/the flat iron, and/or the very ends of your hair if you want a super straight look w/o any bump. Just a thought.

This is what I do...I rollerset with the grey rollers, flat iron the roots, and wrap or cross-wrap the hair. After sleeping on it for one night, my hair is pretty straight, but still has body. When I first got my flat iron, I flat ironed my entire head twice and then I started seeing frayed, white-ish ends, which are signs of heat damage. That stopped me from even considering flat ironing on a regular basis.

Chile ... I feel for ya. I have fine hair, so heat and my hair don't play nicely together at all. I can see a little damage after one or two sessions ... and that's WITH a so-called heat protectant. The kicker is: I only flat iron once a month; any more than that and I would surely lose my progress.

I know where your coming from. me and my flat irons are far from friends. About a month ago I used one and the next day I could feel my ends bein all crispy and fried.

Heat and my hair dont get along at all. At the moment I dont have a hooded dryer so there is no heat in my regimen. rollersets and wraps air dry, deep conditions just sit on my hair for a long time.

:whip: No more direct heat for you! lol. As some members stated, some people can do this and others can't. I don't recommend it for anybody personally.

Dust yourself off and try again. You can grow it back... you already know that though. And If i even catch you looking at a blowfryer... I'm going to come out there and and give yous 'a thrashin' :lol:

Thanks anky for the pep talk.. I promise I learned my lesson.

btw where are your lovely updates. In your fotki I dont see anything for 2008?

I use direct heat once a week and don't notice any breakage. My hair grows fine I just have to stay away from those scissors. I blow dry then flat iron weekly. Now ever since I got these highlights I noticed breakage but I nipped that in the butt with co-washing twice a week. I don't know what to tell you. Sorry if I wasn't of any help.

same thing happened to me! I was weaved up for about off and on 4months then in april i relaxed and was bsl! Got way too excited one month later, and i had lost about 1.5inches:nono: heat is eviil

Back