tips for managing without direct heat?

blessedandlucky

yes, it's that serious for me. :look: i want to stop using direct heat. i blowdry my hair 2-3 times a month and flat-iron 1-2 times a month.

i am going to airdry after my next wash. i'm alittle scared cause i'm about 11 weeks post-relaxer and can't even imagine how that's gonna turn out:nono:. i plan to air dry in plaits for a braid-out.

i really want to do this and am looking for help and support. what are some things/tips that you wish you'd known when you decided to stop using or limit your usage of heat? trying to avoid any setbacks.

thanks!

shmmr

have you tried rollersetting? perhaps its best to practice right after a relaxer, but the more you do it, the better it gets. Also, once you've got it down, new growth will lay flat if you do reverse rollersets. Have you tried a braidout then put it into a messy bun?

just some ideas..

Lovestyr

i think the best thing you can do is up your DC and shampoos....to help retain moisture....and just do protective styles...IMO going without heat isn't challenging. I only straighten my hair twice a year. like bone straight with a flat iron...other than that is up in a bun or rollerset.:drunk:

blessedandlucky

have you tried rollersetting? perhaps its best to practice right after a relaxer, but the more you do it, the better it gets. Also, once you've got it down, new growth will lay flat if you do reverse rollersets. Have you tried a braidout then put it into a messy bun?

just some ideas..

thanks! i haven't but i'm going to try it next time. i'll be going the way of the messy bun. i think i'm going to relax somewhere between week 12-14 depending on how the wash goes.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If you are into it, you should start bunning more often while you hair is still damp. It's much more healthy than any form of heat. Once you hair is dry you can pin curl, or bantu knots

Simply_Kelz

I used to depend on heat, now I rarely use it. I do a lot of cowashes, detangling in sections only once a week. I do braidouts, twistouts and bantu knots.

brucebettye

I have no tips for you because I wear my hair curly everday. However check out this website: keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com. Tracyee has beautiful relaxed hair and she does amazing braidouts and she has alot of good tips for not using direct heat. Also she has videos. I hope this helps.

Mylin

just some ideas..

Newbie here.... What are reverse rollersets?

Musicachic

I find that when I airdry my relaxed hair, besides having a good conditioner important is having good leave ins you feel good about. When I airdry in the past my hair would turn out like a bad horror flick. :hair: Now that I have found some things that make my hair dry smooth and straight for the most part I can handle airdrying. I think that is essentially what is the key. I usually just put my hair in a bunn and airdry. I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum generic from Sally's. Leave in also a little Nexuss Humectress generic also from Sally's. And then mango butter or Shea Butter... But you have to find what products work for you. I think I am just now getting the hang of it. And I am still experimenting with different products... then I will have stuff I know I can depend on always. :yep:

TrendySocialite

You can eliminate the blow dryer if you do the wet-to-dry flat iron technique.

I have done it several times. You basically air dry your hair 90-95% dry and then spray with heat protectant and flat iron. Very bouncy, light and not damaging. You may hear sizzling, but I don't believe it's burning your hair (some may disagree). It's evaporating the water.

This is one do using that method...

Katt73

I often blow dry my hair on a cool setting (no comb attachment...I just detangle with a shower comb every few minutes), then I roll it on either flexi-rods or satin rollers. No heat at all.

JJamiah

yes, it's that serious for me. :look: i want to stop using direct heat. i blowdry my hair 2-3 times a month and flat-iron 1-2 times a month.

i am going to airdry after my next wash. i'm alittle scared cause i'm about 11 weeks post-relaxer and can't even imagine how that's gonna turn out:nono:. i plan to air dry in plaits for a braid-out.

i really want to do this and am looking for help and support. what are some things/tips that you wish you'd known when you decided to stop using or limit your usage of heat? trying to avoid any setbacks.

thanks!

I just started forgoing the blow dryer to totally dry my hair, I air dry my hair 90-95% and blow dry for like 1 minute to get it straight. Literally ONE minute. I continue to flatiron with a protective spray, but right now I am 4 months post and wear my hair into a ponytail, using Designer Touch design Gel. I am trying to not have to use heat myself. I go to the DS to get a rollerset, and Deep Condition weekly!

prospurr4

thanks!

You can do it! :yep: It's been 3 years since I've used direct heat; December 2005 was the last time. My hair is much healthier, and I've had no setbacks.:nono:

During the weeks right after my touchup, I set my texlaxed hair on rollers gray-2" to straighten. When I reach 5 weeks post, I set on 1" rollers for a curly style that hides my new growth until I touchup at about 13 weeks. I also like putting my wet hair in twists for a twistout. I partially dry with a bonnet dryer, then finish by airdrying.

blessedandlucky

You can do it! :yep: It's been 3 years since I've used direct heat; December 2005 was the last time. My hair is much healthier, and I've had no setbacks.:nono:

During the weeks right after my touchup, I set my texlaxed hair on rollers gray-2" to straighten. When I reach 5 weeks post, I set on 1" rollers for a curly style that hides my new growth until I touchup at about 13 weeks. I also like putting my wet hair in twists for a twistout. I partially dry with a bonnet dryer, then finish by airdrying.

wow! that's very encouraging to hear. thanks!:grin: