I Want A Body Wave (Seriously)

Hair_Goddess

Hey everybody. I'm new here and I'm looking for a good hair salon that does body waves (e.g. Wave Nouveaus or Avlon Ferm Curls). I've been wearing 16-18 inch hair weaves for the past 2 years and now my natural 4b hair is just as long as my hair weave when straightened. I love the wet and wavy look and I can't think of any other way to achieve this look besides getting a body wave perm.

I haven't had a body wave perm since I was a teenager and I never had a problem with them. I can't do texturizers or straight perms because the sodium hydroxide always makes my hair fall out.

Please let me know about any good hair salons/hair dressers in Manhattan or Brooklyn that still does body waves. Also, since it's been awhile since I've had a body wave, could someone remind me of how to maintain it (e.g. what are the best moisturizing products to use, how often to wash my body wave hair, when and how to straighten it, etc.)Thanks!

Rain20

Not that many people have body waves on this forum. Try BlackHairMedia.com and read the curl section. I think the thread is "post pictures of your curl". Also I think you can go to the website for these body waves and find salon locations that have stylists that know how to use these products.

nakialovesshoes

I have a curl but I'm unofficially transitioning. I'm in Atlanta but my stylist's sister also does hair in NY - not sure what part though. They're both national educators with Design Essentials, which is the highest level you can achieve as a stylist. PM me if you'd like her info & I'll contact my stylist & get it for you. For maintenance I use the Design Essentials products as well as products that I used when I was natural. HTH...

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Not that many people have body waves on this forum. Try BlackHairMedia.com and read the curl section. I think the thread is "post pictures of your curl". Also I think you can go to the website for these body waves and find salon locations that have stylists that know how to use these products.

Yes, this has really good information on body waves, curly perms and gorgeous pics. Enjoy! I've got a perm as well.

Second2None

Hey Nakia,

:drunk: Not to hijack the thread,:drunk: but i noticed you're unofficially transitioning. I remember you were very satisfied with your initial results with your curly perm, did that change over time, or you just ready for something different?

I have a curl but I'm unofficially transitioning. I'm in Atlanta but my stylist's sister also does hair in NY - not sure what part though. They're both national educators with Design Essentials, which is the highest level you can achieve as a stylist. PM me if you'd like her info & I'll contact my stylist & get it for you. For maintenance I use the Design Essentials products as well as products that I used when I was natural. HTH...

nakialovesshoes

Hey Nakia,

:drunk: Not to hijack the thread,:drunk: but i noticed you're unofficially transitioning. I remember you were very satisfied with your initial results with your curly perm, did that change over time, or you just ready for something different?

Actually I love my curl hence the "unofficially" transitioning. What I don't like is the length I've been retaining. The curl made me very lazy with my hair so I haven't retained the length that I should have. 1st & foremost I'm a length whore so I decided to stop with the chemicals for 18 months & wear cornrows under a wig for the next 18 months to hide my hair & amp up my growth. At the end of the 18 months either I'll continue transitioning or I'll end my transition & touch up my curl.

Also I wanted to attempt to live a more holistic lifestyle sans chemicals & I thought that natural hair would be a better fit but I'm the President of the Hair Indecisive Club :drunk: so who knows. Only time will tell...

Second2None

You do your research so I'm sure you'll make the right choices, whichever you decide :yep: Happy Growing :yep:

Actually I love my curl hence the "unofficially" transitioning. What I don't like is the length I've been retaining. The curl made me very lazy with my hair so I haven't retained the length that I should have. 1st & foremost I'm a length whore so I decided to stop with the chemicals for 18 months & wear cornrows under a wig for the next 18 months to hide my hair & amp up my growth. At the end of the 18 months either I'll continue transitioning or I'll end my transition & touch up my curl.

Also I wanted to attempt to live a more holistic lifestyle sans chemicals & I thought that natural hair would be a better fit but I'm the President of the Hair Indecisive Club :drunk: so who knows. Only time will tell...