I want a full sew-in as my next protective style...

MissFallon

I want a full sew-in as my next protective style...But I need YOUR help!

Problem is that I don't know how to braid. I am scared to go get it done at a salon because I had it done once before by someone who said she "knew" about hair and it messed me all up (had to cut my hair off). I figured that maybe one of you ladies would be able to do it for me (for a price of course:) ) I want the minimal amount of hair to be out for it to look natural enough but so that I wont be damaging my hair. I want someone who really knows about good hair care (and I know all you ladies do) to do my sew-in for me. Someone pleez help me cuz I need a new protective style cuz i've been looking at this bun since December 29th and I'm sick of it! If you want u can send me a pm saying how much you charge and when you could do it. I'm in NYC.

Also, for those ladies who use sew-ins as a protective style, how do you keep your hair in good condition while in the braids? What products did you use? What tips would you have for someone who is using a sew-in as a protective style?

Thank Y'all!:D

Last edited:

nikki86

im currently wearing a sew in problem is i can't seem to keep them longer than 3 weeks...... im currently wearing a deep wave type hair which is nice for a summer time style

while my hair is braided underneath i don't wash my hair at all i do however to keep the style trimed up and i condition wash the fake hair

i apply a light oil either doo gro oils or mtg oil to my hair underneath the weave.... i do notice with my sew in i get less shedding than when i get braids.... my sew in are done at a local african braid shop for a hundred dollars they don't cut or style but i honestly wouldn't want them too.......

i would advise you to get a style of hair that you don't mind shedding alot straight hair sheds the worse in my opion..... but all of them shed, don't get it twisted

i personally don't wash my hair becase it runs the risk of not totally drying underneath which can lead to mold so i go 3 weeks with out

now some peopel are gutsy enough to leave a we3ave in for 2 mths at a time... i however am not that person

MissFallon

nikki86 said:
im currently wearing a sew in problem is i can't seem to keep them longer than 3 weeks...... im currently wearing a deep wave type hair which is nice for a summer time style

while my hair is braided underneath i don't wash my hair at all i do however to keep the style trimed up and i condition wash the fake hair

i apply a light oil either doo gro oils or mtg oil to my hair underneath the weave.... i do notice with my sew in i get less shedding than when i get braids.... my sew in are done at a local african braid shop for a hundred dollars they don't cut or style but i honestly wouldn't want them too.......

i would advise you to get a style of hair that you don't mind shedding alot straight hair sheds the worse in my opion..... but all of them shed, don't get it twisted

i personally don't wash my hair becase it runs the risk of not totally drying underneath which can lead to mold so i go 3 weeks with out

now some peopel are gutsy enough to leave a we3ave in for 2 mths at a time... i however am not that person

I had two sew-ins that I left in for 6 weeks each. I had great growth but my ends were breaking off 5x faster than it was growing in (she didn't braid it all the way around to or to the ends). I was thinking about letting the Africans sew it in they said they charge 50 dollars but I'm scared they will braid too tight. I will only leave it in for 2-3 weeks at a time and then take it out, DC wait a week and then do it again. I'll look into it. (If you are in NYC) which African place did you go to? Is it a full sew in or just pieces? I only had pieces put in b4.

PaperClip

Hello.... I just took a weave out earlier this week after 3 1/2 weeks.... Which is a change for me because I would try to stretch them.... Now, I just want to get it out and take the cornrows down so I can get in my hair really good and cleanse and massage and such. Thanfully, I have a sista from my church who "hooks me up" on the sew-ins and before then, my faithful hairdresser did them before she moved out of state (I'm ok :( sniff).

Do you know how to braid/cornrow at all? I'm asking because maybe you could do what I'm doing this weekend: I just bought a quick weave/half wig. I'm going to braid/cornrow (not that great at it, but I can get the parts together alright) the top and back and leave the front out to blend w/the weave. I'm thinking I can work this weekly (meaning I take down the braids and then wash/deep condition and so on and then repeat this process).

The quick weave was $20 and this way I'm saving time in terms of sitting and getting the braids/sew-in done. I hope this perspective is helpful....

Success to you!

MissFallon

I have tried using the quick weaves and do not really like them. I have no clue how to cornow. If I did i'm sure I could figure out how to do my own sew-in. I have a couple of sets of clip in extensions but I want to give my hair a break for a while (although i do wear protective styles daily since Jan 06). I wanted a new look and figured a sew in would be good. Guess not...i'll stick with my protective styles until my lacefront gets here.:ohwell:

PaperClip

MissFallon said:
I have tried using the quick weaves and do not really like them. I have no clue how to cornow. If I did i'm sure I could figure out how to do my own sew-in. I have a couple of sets of clip in extensions but I want to give my hair a break for a while (although i do wear protective styles daily since Jan 06). I wanted a new look and figured a sew in would be good. Guess not...i'll stick with my protective styles until my lacefront gets here.:ohwell:

Ohh...ok.... I hope it works out.... Well, you can TLC your hair until the lacefront arrives.... That's something to look forward to! :)