I want temporary straight hair

twnz&1mo

Hey ladies I'm a curly girl 3b,3c,4a let's just say I got a lot of curls goin on and I want to wear my hair straight. When I do flat iron the are great, it's just when I go to wear it curly again, there are some pieces of hair that look like their in shock. That's the only way I can describe it. I've used heat protectant I have a tourmaline (Sensu flat iron) so I don't cause heat damage. Now I hear about this Rhoussal clay and Bentonite clay (sorry if I spelled them wrong), to loosen the curl pattern, and I'm interested in that. What products could I use to get temporary straight hair without putting my curls in shock.

Hey ladies I'm a curly girl 3b,3c,4a let's just say I got a lot of curls goin on and I want to wear my hair straight. When I do flat iron the are great, it's just when I go to wear it curly again, there are some pieces of hair that look like their in shock. That's the only way I can describe it. I've used heat protectant I have a tourmaline (Sensu flat iron) so I don't cause heat damage. Now I hear about this Rhoussal clay and Bentonite clay (sorry if I spelled them wrong), to loosen the curl pattern, and I'm interested in that. What products could I use to get temporary straight hair without putting my curls in shock.

Just because you use the bolded does not mean you can't get heat damage. Shocked or straightened bits of hair are tell-tell signs of heat damage.

Maybe you should try DCing or doing a protein treatment to get your curls to revert to normal.

The clays you mention will not give you straight hair, however they along with henna may loosen your curl pattern a little bit.

Unfortunently there is no quick and dirty solution to get temporary straight hair, unless maybe you BKT, but this process takes a little while to wear off, and its questionable if it wears off completely.

Last edited:
All I can suggest to you are flat ironing or rollersetting. Banding can get your hair kinky straight, but more kinky than anything else. Perhaps you are not using enough or a proper heat protectant...I just came off 2 back-to-back Dominican blowouts and had no heat damage. Also, try a protein treatment before you straighten...

Rollerset then saran wrap and sit under the dryer. Check out youtube for tutorials on this.

That may not be heat damage, but evidence of multitextured hair. If you hair feels fine to your satisfaction, don't worry about it.

The issue w/ clays is that they can be VERY drying. I don't know how much they loosen curl pattern and how long it takes for it to show, but I imagine it won't be temporary if it does work (kinda of like henna...once done, it's permanent). I distrust most of these "natural" methods of straightening tho because all of them sound incredibly drying which will lead to more problems. IOW, hot comb or flat iron are the solutons for temporary staight hair. LOL...African textures have few options for straightness.

You might look into henna if you really want to loosen the curl pattern gradually and w/o heat, but there's also the issue of color uptake. Indigo would keep things dark. Henna could be a long term solution.

I do henna occassionally, and the curl does loosen ok in some places and alot more in others. I guess I just wanted to try those clay's.

That may not be heat damage, but evidence of multitextured hair. If you hair feels fine to your satisfaction, don't worry about it.

The issue w/ clays is that they can be VERY drying. I don't know how much they loosen curl pattern and how long it takes for it to show, but I imagine it won't be temporary if it does work (kinda of like henna...once done, it's permanent). I distrust most of these "natural" methods of straightening tho because all of them sound incredibly drying which will lead to more problems. IOW, hot comb or flat iron are the solutons for temporary staight hair. LOL...African textures have few options for straightness.

You might look into henna if you really want to loosen the curl pattern gradually and w/o heat, but there's also the issue of color uptake. Indigo would keep things dark. Henna could be a long term solution.

All I can suggest to you are flat ironing or rollersetting. Banding can get your hair kinky straight, but more kinky than anything else. Perhaps you are not using enough or a proper heat protectant...I just came off 2 back-to-back Dominican blowouts and had no heat damage. Also, try a protein treatment before you straighten...

*off topic* Did you find that t-shirt that you were wanting?

But I'm not relaxed, will it still work?

If you are able to get your hair to lay flat and smooth while wet on the magnetic rollers, it should work for you. You'll likely need to use a little setting lotion and lots of water.

Clays are more for exfoliating the hair/scalp than for purely loosening your hair strands. I would try roller setting and tweaking your flat iron regime too. I only used bentonite clay and it didn't loosen my hair at all. henna did however after a few cowashes it went back to normal.

Back