I want to go natural. . . don't I?

HeChangedMyName

I want to go natural but am so unsure. I HATE not knowing what my natural hair is like because the last time it was chemical free was 1988.

I remember my hair always being frizzy and when I'd get it braided as a little girl, mine was the hair that looked like it needed to be rebraided in one day because of the thin wispy hair I had. Argh:wallbash:

Why does this have to be so complicated. How many months/inches would one need to have in newgrowth in order to really get a good gauge of what natural hair they'd be working with?

I know that my hair has multiple textures just based on the newgrowth between relaxers so, leaving one portion relaxer free isn't an option.

AlekHidell

Yeah, I was on the fence these last couple of weeks before I decided to transition. I can also tell I will be dealing with multiple textures as well. I made up my mind when I decided I would just deal with it (new growth) as it comes because my reasons for transitioning are turning out to be a lot less complicated than I thought.

Nonie

I want to go natural but am so unsure. I HATE not knowing what my natural hair is like because the last time it was chemical free was 1988.

I remember my hair always being frizzy and when I'd get it braided as a little girl, mine was the hair that looked like it needed to be rebraided in one day because of the thin wispy hair I had. Argh:wallbash:

Why does this have to be so complicated. How many months/inches would one need to have in newgrowth in order to really get a good gauge of what natural hair they'd be working with?

I know that my hair has multiple textures just based on the newgrowth between relaxers so, leaving one portion relaxer free isn't an option.

I'd say as long as possible, but even then you may not truly see your texture till you BC. I think transitioning as long as possible is the best way to know if you want to go natural, because you can still relax and not have thwarted your progress should you decide you haven't got the patience to learn how to deal the with multiple textures. Transitioning allows you to experiment with products and get to know what works on your natural hair and what doesn't, so that if you do decide to BC or trim gradually, it'd just be like you're meeting an old friend coz y'all started to get to know each other way back when.

Tiye

Well you can always stretch for a bit then in a hidden part of your head cut off the relaxed part.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. You can always pick a "swatch" and even if you continue to relax for a while leave that part alone to grow out then clip the relaxed hair and get to know the new growth. You can keep it in a braid most of the time where it wouldn't be noticed. This isn't going to give you the full picture because everyone has different textures in different parts of their head but if you aren't fully comfortable with the change you'd be getting a sample preview.

Ese88

Girl i am just taking it one day at a time. I am almost 8 months post and i am transitioning but there are days when i feel like relaxing and days when i'm so happy i made the decision to transition. I would say give it a go if yo can and if you don't like you can always relax

HeChangedMyName

Yeah, I was on the fence these last couple of weeks before I decided to transition. I can also tell I will be dealing with multiple textures as well. I made up my mind when I decided I would just deal with it (new growth) as it comes because my reasons for transitioning are turning out to be a lot less complicated than I thought.

I totally understand that. I don't have some deep spiritual overly elevated reason. I just like natural hair. lol But I like relaxed hair too. I love my DD hair. OMG. I think I do her hair so much just so I can play in her natural 4b tresses. :look:

Thanks ladies for the encouragement. I guess I'll see how it goes, I just got a relaxer at the beginning of this month so I have some serious time to think on this thing. If I do decide to transition, y'all will know. :yep:

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I thought I figured out my hair while I was transitioning, but it turns out that I didn't see what I was really working with until I cut all of the relaxed ends off. Good luck on your decision, whatever you choose it will be right for you.

glamazon386

OP, I think after about 3 months post you should be able to get some idea of what your texture is going to look like. You can see it really good at about 6 months. It usually looks different once you actually chop it but you should be able to at least see if you have curls, coils or kinks by then.

HeChangedMyName

OP, I think after about 3 months post you should be able to get some idea of what your texture is going to look like. You can see it really good at about 6 months. It usually looks different once you actually chop it but you should be able to at least see if you have curls, coils or kinks by then.

coils, curls, or kinks? That is the question and will make a world of difference depending upon what I have and how much if any trial and error I'll have to go through in order to find what works for me.

southerncitygirl

my hair is nothing like i imagined even though i have pic of how it was natural as a child. times have changed and there are so many products, the longer it gets the more i love it and want to play in it. remember it takes time to learn your hair.

Salsarisma

I'm 5 1/2 months post and stll have no idea what my natural texture is like. I'm going to take some texture shots and ask for advice. I'm clueless and still a little bit on the fence about relaxing in two weeks.