I want to switch from Lye to No Lye...Help!

ocean74

Hello Ladies,

I'm currently 20 weeks post relaxer:grin:. I'm thinking of using a "NO-LYE" (Elasta QP), but I've been using Olive Oil (ORS) Lye relaxer.

Lately I've been using Elasta QP products and I really like em', so I'm kinda interested in trying their relaxer...

I guess my question is...Will it damage my hair switching from LYE to NO LYE?

Have you ever tried switching? If so, how was your hair afterwards?
Have you ever tried Elasta QP? If so, did you like it?

Thanks In Advance...

Neala21

My twin sister just made the switch to Elast Qp- I applied her retouch relaxer just last saturday for her while having 101 degree temperature.

She loved her results. Oh she switched from Mizani Butter Blend Lye Relaxer to Elasta Qp Lye. So if you want to stay with lye Elasta QP does have a lye relaxer which she bought at sally's in a jar for like 6.00 or so.

Now orginally me and her were both relaxed with Ors No-lye and made the switch to Mizani BBlend Lye. I love my Mizani BB and don't plan on switching. My twin says she loves how Elasta makes her hair feel and its cheaper compared to Mizani BB which can cost 200 for the entire line versus her paying 50.00 and under for the entire Elast qp line and able to get it Sally's

But making the switch can lead to dryness and breakage. You have to be very careful not to overlap the two. I was able to tell the difference between the two because no-lye left my hair dried and lye had my hair more moisturized but it was a personal choice.

If lye isn't giving you trouble I would say keep with lye just change brands as it better for the hair harsher on the scalp and no-lye is easier on the scalp but harsher on the hair. Some ladies have been successful in making the switch from lye to no-lye and vice versa. Me being one of them. And some ladies switch all the time between the two.

You have to weigh your options. Just protect your previous relaxed strands and I think you will be all good.

Rapunzel2B

I switched from lye to no lye. I have been using no lye now for a couple of years and lye was applied to my hair against my wishes. I was so afraid I was going to lose all my progress. My last perm in March I switched back to no lye and I am approaching 7 weeks posts and my hair is as healthy as ever. I didn't have any breakage, increased shedding or anything.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I would only recommend this switch if you have a sensitive scalp. Otherwise, a no-lye relaxer is going to be more drying to your hair than a lye relaxer. But no-lye relaxers are easier on the scalp.

locabouthair

Make sure you use a chelating shampoo to remove calcium buildup from the no lye relaxer. that's what causes the dryness.

clarity2008

BUMPING....I'm thinking of making the switch. I remember years ago when I used no-lye, my hair was much softer and less frizzy. Can the experts chime in and give some more advice/tips? TIA

kizzylonghair

I would only recommend this switch if you have a sensitive scalp. Otherwise, a no-lye relaxer is going to be more drying to your hair than a lye relaxer. But no-lye relaxers are easier on the scalp.

I agree totally with Super, I have switched between with no adverse side effect, with all that regrowth you should have no danger overlapping so you should be ok

*CherryPie*

I switched with no problems. I don't like Lye relaxers, they are way too strong.

I know there are a lot of people talking about how no lye will dry out your hair- that's not true for everyone. And there's always ways to avoid the mineral buildup-using a good clarifying/chelating shampoo once in a while.

Rnjones

Buuuuuumping.

The past 3 relaxers I have used lye and it does not get me as straight as I want to be so I want to switch back to no lye. Any ladies had any issues or have any tips?