LYE or NO-LYE RELAXERS DO THEY EQUAL, THINNER OR THICKER TRESSES?

Nanyanika

i'M just making an observation here, i've noticed since switching from Elasta QP sensitive scalp no-lye, to silk elements lye my hair is thinner and sheds more yet elasta qp straightened better. I was wondering whether it is due to the different types of chemicals. sorry if this has been discussed before but has anyone noticed a difference in the density of the shaft when switching formulas. I would love to maintain thickness in my hair should i switch to no-lye in SE or go down in strength.

skegeesmb

I switched to No-Lye out of laziness for the past few months and my hair is crap. It tangles, when I wash I can't comb through it, and blowdrying it is a nightmare because I have tangles starting at the root.

My hair looks fine, but it's a battle to do it without getting breakage.

shocol

I think the Silk Elements has definitely thinned my hair, I was using Phyto before. That's why I'm doing my first stretch.

Nanyanika

skegeesmb said:
I switched to No-Lye out of laziness for the past few months and my hair is crap. It tangles, when I wash I can't comb through it, and blowdrying it is a nightmare because I have tangles starting at the root.

My hair looks fine, but it's a battle to do it without getting breakage.
your experience sounds a lot like what i went through with Elasta QP, however my hair was thicker than it is now, which relaxer and strength were you using before?

Last edited:

Nanyanika

shocol said:
I think the Silk Elements has definitely thinned my hair, I was using Phyto before. That's why I'm doing my first stretch.
this is what i'm beginning to think, i'm trying to strecth my relaxer too but its very difficult because of all the shedding, i think i'll try using a reconstructor every week now along with moisturiser conditioner until my next touch-up. I will probably continue with this relaxer however i'll leave it on less time. have you decided what strength you will be using at your next touch-up with SE? why did you stop using Phyto?.

Last edited:

GoGoChik

I've been using SE Mild Lye for my past 3 relaxers and my hair seems to be getting thinner as well. The relaxer only stays on for 12 minutes, but it processes super fast. I'm starting to think it's the Lye. I might try SE no lye next time.

I really like the Lye relaxer because it doesn't dry my hair out. Lye relaxers might be better for super-stretchers.

If I could get my mom's hands to move faster, I'd leave the SE lye on for a shorter time.

Nanyanika

GoGoChik said:
I've been using SE Mild Lye for my past 3 relaxers and my hair seems to be getting thinner as well. The relaxer only stays on for 12 minutes, but it processes super fast. I'm starting to think it's the Lye. I might try SE no lye next time.

I really like the Lye relaxer because it doesn't dry my hair out. Lye relaxers might be better for super-stretchers.

If I could get my mom's hands to move faster, I'd leave the SE lye on for a shorter time.
this is what i was thinking whether to change to no-lye, but its the dryness i can't handle, i can't belive how much thickness i've lost, i'm finding that my hair weighs downs with products more easily too.

GoGoChik

den1 said:
this is what i was thinking whether to change to no-lye, but its the dryness i can't handle, i can't belive how much thickness i've lost, i'm finding that my hair weighs downs with products more easily too.

I'm glad that you brought this topic up. I just got a touch up 2 weeks ago and my hair has been so fine and limp and I thought it was because my mom left it on too long. But, the relaxer was not really on my hair that long. So I guess it must be the lye. :ohwell:

I'm so upset because I got a good trim in December and my hair was thick again, the way I'm used to it being and now it's limp.

I'm going to try proteining my hair to death and see if that helps.

Nanyanika

GoGoChik said:
I'm glad that you brought this topic up. I just got a touch up 2 weeks ago and my hair has been so fine and limp and I thought it was because my mom left it on too long. But, the relaxer was not really on my hair that long. So I guess it must be the lye. :ohwell:

I'm so upset because I got a good trim in December and my hair was thick again, the way I'm used to it being and now it's limp.

I'm going to try proteining my hair to death and see if that helps.
girl, i'm so scared right now, my eyes are welling up with tears!! i don't know what to do...my hair is fine and limp and even my buns don't look right as my hair is wispy, I'm 10 weeks post but there is no way i can place another relaxer in yet... i'm thinking of dpoing treatment for 3 weeks then applying braids instead to give myself a break. careful with the protein, i'll be doing mild ones every week following with a moisturising conditioner

GoGoChik

den1 said:
girl, i'm so scared right now, my eyes are welling up with tears!! i don't know what to do...my hair is fine and limp and even my buns don't look right as my hair is wispy, I'm 10 weeks post but there is no way i can place another relaxer in yet... i'm thinking of dpoing treatment for 3 weeks then applying braids instead to give myself a break. careful with the protein, i'll be doing mild ones every week following with a moisturising conditioner

Maybe I should try the braid thing too. I was thinking about maybe going to get a trim or get some layers to make my hair fuller. I don't know what to do either. But, if you find something that works let me know.

Mom23

My experience has been the opposite. Lye leaves my hair with body and thickness, where a no-lye gets it too straight and it is always flat. I used a no-lye for my December touch-up, but this month I touched up with Lye and my hair is better already. I also got alot more breakage with the no-lye. :ohwell:

Nanyanika

GoGoChik said:
Maybe I should try the braid thing too. I was thinking about maybe going to get a trim or get some layers to make my hair fuller. I don't know what to do either. But, if you find something that works let me know.
The thing is my ends aren't thinned out, its just the overall apperance of my hair is thinner, as soon as i work out what the issue is i'll let you know.

Nanyanika

Mom23 said:
My experience has been the opposite. Lye leaves my hair with body and thickness, where a no-lye gets it too straight and it is always flat. I used a no-lye for my December touch-up, but this month I touched up with Lye and my hair is better already. I also got alot more breakage with the no-lye. :ohwell:
Do you find that your hair has more elasticity with lye? i find that the lye doesn't dry and break off my hair like no lye, however my hair has more body.

Mom23

den1 said:
Do you find that your hair has more elasticity with lye? i find that the lye doesn't dry and break off my hair like no lye, however my hair has more body.

I definitely have more elasticity with Lye. I just like Lye better overall for my hair. When I used no-lye, my ends would be dry too, no matter how much I moisturized, they would be dry and I'd get breakage.

shocol

den1 said:
this is what i'm beginning to think, i'm trying to strecth my relaxer too but its very difficult because of all the shedding, i think i'll try using a reconstructor every week now along with moisturiser conditioner until my next touch-up. I will probably continue with this relaxer however i'll leave it on less time. have you decided what strength you will be using at your next touch-up with SE? why did you stop using Phyto?.

I stopped using Phyto because of the cost, but I will probably go back to it in a couple of months. For my scalp and hair, Phyto is a gentle relaxer. I didn't smooth so it behaved more like a texlax. However, I think my hair was drier using it. I have to add oil to the SE so that it won't burn my scalp. But it does process really fast and my hair is not as dry. I'll probably use the SE regular for my next relaxer, but I'll get help putting it in. Before, I was doing it all myself so the front was always more processed than the back. Next time, I'll ask for help and won't leave it on my head any more than 7-10 minutes.

amwcah

SE relaxer most definately thinned my hair out. I left me feeling bald. I'm looking for a new relaxer. Actually, I'm also considering trying a lye relaxer after reading Robin's review from the C&G Method.

Nanyanika

amwcah said:
SE relaxer most definately thinned my hair out. I left me feeling bald. I'm looking for a new relaxer. Actually, I'm also considering trying a lye relaxer after reading Robin's review from the C&G Method.
you too!!! i think i'll probably begin to use mild or reduce timing of the regular strength instead. this may be partly my fault why my hair is thinner because i haven't used a reconstructor or any leave-in strengtheners for a while because i've been using henna i thought that was sufficent enough.

jasmin

I was using Silk but I switched to another relaxer because it normally reverts to quickly with Silk. However, since switching my hair has thicken back up. Maybe it's because it's time for a touch up but I don't see through my ends anymore. I'm still using lye.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I was just going to say maybe it's a mind thing, since you have been shedding lately you may think your hair is much thinner than it really is. I know I was one of the ones who went through that shedding craze this summer and I thought my hair was getting thinner also, but once I styled it and took comparison pics i didn't see nor did it feel thinner to me.

I personally can't do no lye relaxers they have left my hair dry, and underprocessed the few times I've used them in my life. Lye relaxers leave my hair moist, shiney, smooth, silky and full of life and body. I tried Silk Elements b4 and it was something about it I just didn't like. I know your latest pics look pretty thick to me.

ETA: I am having a hard time w/your password.
den1 said:
you too!!! i think i'll probably begin to use mild or reduce timing of the regular strength instead. this may be partly my fault why my hair is thinner because i haven't used a reconstructor or any leave-in strengtheners for a while because i've been using henna i thought that was sufficent enough.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I was just going to say maybe it's a mind thing, since you have been shedding lately you may think your hair is much thinner than it really is. I know I was one of the ones who went through that shedding craze this summer and I thought my hair was getting thinner also, but once I styled it and took comparison pics i didn't see nor did it feel thinner to me.

I personally can't do no lye relaxers they have left my hair dry, and underprocessed the few times I've used them in my life. Lye relaxers leave my hair moist, shiney, smooth, silky and full of life and body. I tried Silk Elements b4 and it was something about it I just didn't like. I know your latest pics look pretty thick to me.

ETA: I am having a hard time w/your password.
Hopefully, i will overcome this shedding phase soon, because its very frighful. seems like of a few people have notice a difference with SE compared to other lye relaxers. I've had no-lye before i experienced similar things as you have described. I've locked my album for a while, for the april fools hide your length challenge. what relaxer are you using currently?

Nanyanika

Mom23 said:
I definitely have more elasticity with Lye. I just like Lye better overall for my hair. When I used no-lye, my ends would be dry too, no matter how much I moisturized, they would be dry and I'd get breakage.
I love the feel of lye, its just that my hair is too flat

Nanyanika

shocol said:
I stopped using Phyto because of the cost, but I will probably go back to it in a couple of months. For my scalp and hair, Phyto is a gentle relaxer. I didn't smooth so it behaved more like a texlax. However, I think my hair was drier using it. I have to add oil to the SE so that it won't burn my scalp. But it does process really fast and my hair is not as dry. I'll probably use the SE regular for my next relaxer, but I'll get help putting it in. Before, I was doing it all myself so the front was always more processed than the back. Next time, I'll ask for help and won't leave it on my head any more than 7-10 minutes.
Phyto sounds good but its the expensiver and the no-lye dryness factor that keeps me away from this. i wish you luck on your next touch-up hopefully by then we both would have found a solution to this issue.

janeemat

Den, I think with no lye you just have to step up the moisture because from what I understand they can be drying. My stylist has been using the Affirm no lye on me for over a year and my hair has body and shine, it's not dry and it straightens very well. I always used lye prior to going to him and would always get chemical burns and have a cooked scalp. I suffered through this for years thinking that's how it was suppose to be. My stylist of 15 years never suggested switching relaxers from lye to no lye. All I can say now is I don't even no the chemical is on my hair when he's relaxing me. When I switched stylist, I stepped up my game of caring for my hair and it has worked well. I learned that moisture and protein is the key to keeping relaxed hair on the head. My hair is growing and is getting thicker.