I wear glue and sewn-in weaves. My natural hair is thin

kyndlesmom

I normally have thick hair. But ever since I was 11 and got a relaxer my hair texture has never been the same as a child. Over my teenage years, I received the kitchen sink relaxers and went to the Domincans for a wash-n-set. As an adult, I wore doobie wraps and started rinsing my hair. My hair has had it's healthy times. Once I discovered sewn-in weaves and felt comfortable I've been wearing weaves full head and partial from 21 until now, I'm 27. My hair breaks off, grows, falls out- it's confusing.

1/08 - 3/08: Wore my hair washed-n-set with 4 glued tracks.

3/08 - 8/08: I had 2 sewn in weaves from April08 to Aug08. My hair grew but was very thin.

9/08 - 10/08- Wore my hair washed-n-set with 4 glued tracks.

10/08 - 12/08- Wore a partial weave with 4 tracks.

12/5/08- I took the partial weave out of my hair and it's really thin. Now I'm back to the glued tracks and wash-n-set.

I don't use any products in particular. Does someone have any advice for me? I trully need help, guidence, and assistance!

I'd like to wear my naural hair out. Have it healthy and healthy looking. Eventually I'd have to break away from the relaxers and rinses.

Black Hoya Chick

stop gluing in tracks. it rips hair out everything it is removed. if you can just switch to wigs for a while and protect the hair underneath in cornrows or flattwists or something

FeelinIt

What is your daily/weekly hair care regimen?
Do you use protein treatments?
How often do you relax?
How often do you deep condition?
How often do you shampoo?

What products do you use on a daily/weekly basis?

What styling tools do you use on a daily/weekly basis?

One thing you have to understand....our hair is already the weakest of the hair types. Once you add a relaxer to that and harsh styling practices, you will not keep the hair you have. To get healthy hair that will grow longer, you need to change out/implement some new products, styling techniques and tools.

But first, you have to assess where you are now before anyone can truly help.

TCatt86

It's glueing in tracks that's causing the hair to thin. Glue is taking the hair out along with the tracks. I would either stick to sew ins or like the above poster suggested braid it up and wear wigs.

mscocoface

You are going to need to change your mindset about ALL of this.

You need to remove all the glue, chemicals and coloring until you can get your hair in a healthy state.

That means really thinking long and hard about alternative ways to wear your hair. Until you can get your mind wrapped around that this is going to be even more difficult to achieve your goals.

I know it is hard, been here. Once upon a blue moon I loved the glue ins, weaves 24/7 and even relaxers and color. It all was killing my hair.

It was a difficult path but for the sake of healthy hair I promised myself for at least 365 days I was going to stick to a healthy regimen and then revisit my options.

Create a plan for the health and care of your hair.
Create a plan for how you will wear your hair (wigs, silk caps, etc.)
STAY WITH THE PLAN once you create it!

Best wishes to you. We are all here to give you support and assistance.

You can do this, start with your mind first, then the rest will follow.

I_shure_do_wish

What is your daily/weekly hair care regimen?
Do you use protein treatments?
How often do you relax?
How often do you deep condition?
How often do you shampoo?

What products do you use on a daily/weekly basis?

What styling tools do you use on a daily/weekly basis?

One thing you have to understand....our hair is already the weakest of the hair types. Once you add a relaxer to that and harsh styling practices, you will not keep the hair you have. To get healthy hair that will grow longer, you need to change out/implement some new products, styling techniques and tools.

But first, you have to assess where you are now before anyone can truly help.

She's on point with her response to your thread. You have to start answering some of those questions and from there start developing a starting point where you erase and the past and start off new. Our hair is the weakest of hair types something I myself had no idea of before I joined this form. I thought our hair was stronger than a 1a type but I was wrong. My biggest advice to you though is to drop the gluing and the constant manipulation your putting your hair through and learn how to properly moisturize your hair and start doing deep conditions weekly. Get to know and understand your hair is key to growing your hair.

Candycane044

You are going to need to change your mindset about ALL of this.

You need to remove all the glue, chemicals and coloring until you can get your hair in a healthy state.

That means really thinking long and hard about alternative ways to wear your hair. Until you can get your mind wrapped around that this is going to be even more difficult to achieve your goals.

I know it is hard, been here. Once upon a blue moon I loved the glue ins, weaves 24/7 and even relaxers and color. It all was killing my hair.

It was a difficult path but for the sake of healthy hair I promised myself for at least 365 days I was going to stick to a healthy regimen and then revisit my options.

Create a plan for the health and care of your hair.
Create a plan for how you will wear your hair (wigs, silk caps, etc.)
STAY WITH THE PLAN once you create it!

Best wishes to you. We are all here to give you support and assistance.

You can do this, start with your mind first, then the rest will follow.

Hi Op! I completely agree with mscocoface in that you have to devise a plan to help you nurse your hair back to health. There is a TON of information on this site that can help you with styles and regimens. Looking at this information may act as a starting point to help you come up with a plan. Good luck and HHG!! Also, if you have any additional questions, there are plenty of ladies here including myself who are willing to assist you.

yuriko

I have to agree, stop with the glue. You can put in track with a single cornrow under each track, and it will look exactly the same

ajacks

This sounds so much like me when I first began my quest for healthy hair. My hair was so thin and damaged from wearing glued in tracks and getting sew-ins on top of freshly relaxed hair. The ironic thing is that I am using sew-ins to grow out my hair as well, but I am doing it the healthy way: keeping installs for 6-8 weeks, washing and deep conditioning weekly, moisturizing braids underneath 3-4x a week, stretching relaxers for 6 months at a time and waiting 3-4 weeks between relaxers and new installs. It only took 6-months to see a drastic improvement in my hair.

What is your regimen? Do you want to continue using weaves or another protective style?