I went back to grease on the hair, not scalp

nijilah

Hello all,

For the past month, I have been using grease (Liv or BB Super grow). Now let me start by saying that I have not used grease for maybe 4 years now and I have been natural for 3 of years and occasionally having trouble with dryness AND having trouble getting past bra strap.

Oh and thus far, my experience has been positive and as a child, my mother only used grease, blue magic, and sometimes vaseline. I had long thick hair and it was never dry, that I recall.

1st try: I blow-dried my hair after applying LIV. Then I flat ironed. I wore my hair like this for 2 weeks which was difficult because I was my hair usually every 3 days. Every other night, I applied sta-so-fro and bb super grow on the last few inches. At night, I slept with my hair in a few plaits with rollers at the end. I wore my hair out in nice loose waves during the day. Yes, the hair was weighed down, but I have extremely thick hair. Very few people have hair more thick than mine. Also, the hair did not revert in the shower, only the edges did.

2nd try: I did a braid out by just washing, deep conditioning then applying bb super grow. I got a very nice defined braid out like I got when I was a child.

I didn't grease my scalp at all. My scalp is not oily nor dry.

Pros: hair looked nice; didn't revert; holded styles.
Cons: Greasy hair. Something that I never liked as a child.

Oh yeah, if you use grease or used it as a child, what brand did you use?

Mochalolita

Howdy! I just went back to using grease after a few years of quitting it. I'm going back the things that I used as a child...which in my case means the Original Sulfur 8 hair grease. I don't use it on my hair, just my scalp. Makes it feel good and I think helps aid in growth. It's actually allowing my hair to hold styles better, too. Just gotta make sure to use a light hand...it's a hot mess when I don't, lol.

Hugs,
Crys

Britt

I've been using Nature's Blessing recently. Not really for grease, but moreso for the smell and added shine.
Since I wear a ponytail daily, I spray my edges with S-Curl and then apply a little grease on top of that.

bajanplums1

on thing that helps me when I use grease is to heat it slightly, it absorbs faster and I use less on the scalp and hair. My favorite grease has always been b & B super gro. I really works on my hair. I also like Isoplus Castor Oil, Currently, I am using, African Formula Shea Butter Superlite with Biotin. I'm trying to sneak in biotin every where!

nfynit_812

Back in the day, my mom used to use Dax on my hair!!! My hair grew so much-the smell was so strong and it was so heavy!! I couldn't imagine using that for my hair now /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Back in the day, my mom used Queen Bergamot on my hair. I loved the way this stuff smells when she applied to my hair. That made my hair grow like crazy. She also sometimes used Hair Rep grease. I remember my mom taking a container of hair grease and melt it on the heater. And I have to agree with the other girl; melting the grease makes it easier to absorb into the hair and scalp.

Right now I use Blue Magic Coconut Oil Conditioner &amp; Hairdress. I love the smell!! I usually mix it with castor oil, pure unrefined coconut oil, EVOO, ORS Carrot Oil and some of my conditioner. I only apply it to the hair and ends, never on the scalp. It's not too heavy or greasy on my fine 3a/b relaxed hair. This makes my hair lay down smooth along with applying my gel curl activator. I do this when wearing a bun or my ponytail with my ends tucked to prevent split ends and dryness during the colder months ahead. </font>

TigerLily

Yeppers, just went back to the grease over here! /images/graemlins/wave.gif When I was little, my mom used Hair Rep mixed with mineral oil. I used some Blue Magic bergamot yesterday on my scalp and my scalp/hair thanked me!!

*Oh grease, I'll never leave you again! Please forgive me!* /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lovelymissyoli

I went back to grease 2 months ago after giving it up in June. My hair thanked me! I hadn't put grease in my hair since having braids (I use to roll some down each of my braids to keep the hair inside the braid moisturized). Anyways, I use it on my ends because that’s where I experience the most problems. Even though I haven’t used grease on my scalp since June, I’m considering doing it again because I saw a really good grease/herbal hair food mixture that I want to pick up from the bss.

Faith

I went back to grease last month (thanks to KT's pics...lol). I slap on some world of curls, scurl or unbraid spray and then I smear on some grease and myhair has been soft and sleek. No gel needed.

inthepink

I remember my mom using Crown Royal, Sulfer 8, and Palmer's Coconut.

There was also this one grease in a jar where you had to use a knife around the edges to open it...I can't remember the name though.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I remember my mom using Crown Royal, Sulfer 8, and Palmer's Coconut.

There was also this one grease in a jar where you had to use a knife around the edges to open it...I can't remember the name though.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">Hairlove, I believe the one in which you pry the top off with a knife is Hair Rep. That was one of our staples my mom used on our own hair. </font>

lilred26

I too recently went back to grease. The grease my mom used on my hair whe I was growing up was Vo5. Now that my hair is colored this works great and also makes my ends fell great. I also noticed my scalp just eats this stuff up so I will be using this from now on.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I have gone back to grease too! I have this concoction of grease,WGO and biotin. I am noticing the difference in my hair since I have gone back to grease!

Nonie

I haven't used grease myself because I'd have a hard time keeping it off my scalp and face (not good /images/graemlins/naughty.gif ), but I can see how it can be good for the hair. On the hair, it can provide good "protection" for the cuticle, reducing friction during combing and thus minimizing damage due to manipulation. Please give us an update down the road those of you using it, OK?

dreemssold

My grandmother used Dax on my hair (my mother doesn't know how to put a ponytail holder on /images/graemlins/grin.gif), but now I use Sulfur 8 on my hair...mostly when I do the baggie method (instead of Vaseline).

SouthernGirl

I've been going strong w/grease for about a couple of weeks now, and my hair REALLY LIKES it! I think it's perfect for winter b/c my hair doesn't get nearly as dry as it used to. I've been putting it on my scalp, hairline, and ends.

Shinka

I think I going to use my nature's blessing and see if it helps with my itchy scalp. I will only grease after a fresh rollerset. it's not really a grease it's more of an oil blend.

miracle

I've gone back to using grease on my hair and scalp, also. I'm rotating between At One With Nature, Softee Coconut and Blue Magic. My mom used to use TCB grease on our hair when we were small and it grew like weeds.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've just went back to using grease on my hair too. It's Black n' Sassy that I grabbed from my parents' house. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm thinking about trying LIV in the future.

lovelymissyoli

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I've just went back to using grease on my hair too. It's Black n' Sassy that I grabbed from my parents' house. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm thinking about trying LIV in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot of people talk about LIV and I've seen it in my local bss...what it is about this stuff?? What's so special about it (i.e. super moisturizer??)...someone fill me in...

options

Isn't it a common practice for Indian women to regularly use oil on their hair? I have been "off the grease" for years now, but I am rethinking it. I have started using shea butter in more copious amounts. I usually wash my hair weekly, deep condition it with a heating cap and let it air dry. Then I set my hair in twists. I put a substantial amount of shea butter on each section before twisting it. Yes, my hair is greasy for a couple of days, but it feels so soft, pliable and is not at all on the brink of being parched. I am thinking about going back to greasing my hair and scalp, but I don't want to use anything with petrolatum or mineral oil. I am thinking about trying that Black Seed Pomade. Any reviews on this product?

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Shinka said:
I think I going to use my nature's blessing and see if it helps with my itchy scalp. I will only grease after a fresh rollerset. it's not really a grease it's more of an oil blend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been lightly oiling my scalp with this for a few weeks now. I think it works well with S-Curl. Usually my hair would be a grease blob from using Nature's Blessing, but when I spray S-Curl on my new growth and lightly oil my scalp with NB, the combination goes well together. My new growth is a lot softer and the grease makes the s-curl last longer.

buffalosoldier

I bought some Liv yesterday - I slathered it on and my hair was like "Thank you Jesus!!!!"

The ingredients are a nightmare but it really moisturisers your hair.

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
I went back to grease last month (thanks to KT's pics...lol). I slap on some world of curls, scurl or unbraid spray and then I smear on some grease and myhair has been soft and sleek. No gel needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuppers...ever since I fell under the spell of my hair idol Kitchen_tician, grease re-entered my life! Coconut Softee has been a good friend, I forgot how much my hair liked it. I'm gonna treat myself to two nice big jars of Blue Magic for my holiday hair shopping soon. And that Surge Woojee Cream with the Mineral Oil, now it's my buddy.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nesha24

I have extremely thick hair as well. So much so that many salons have turned me DOWN when the see me coming. As a child my mom used vaseline and Luster Pink Lotion. I used that off and on in high school. Luster makes a really good glosser that really smooths the hair when you flat iron. Now I switch between Blue Magic, Olive Oil, and BB supergrow.

Cinnabuns

I use Blue Magic Hair Grease and I love the way that it makes the ends on my hair feel. But I don't use it on my scalp though.I sometimes mix it with a little Elasta QP Mango Butter or Shea Butter.

kitchen_tician

Yes, I love grease!!! I use Blue Magic (green), mostly on my scalp. My hair responds best to grease that doesn't have mineral oil in it and the (blue) Blue Magic has mineral oil in it. I also like Allways Supergro and Softee.

/images/graemlins/weird.gif Hip-Hip Hooray my fellow "Grease Monkeys"!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Thanks MonaLisa and Faith.

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
[ QUOTE ]
nfynit_812 said:
Back in the day, my mom used to use Dax on my hair!!! My hair grew so much-the smell was so strong and it was so heavy!! I couldn't imagine using that for my hair now /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif My Mom used that on my hiar too I hated the smell, I would plead for her to not put it on. I vowed I would never do that to my daughter's hair.