I'd like to introduce myself.....

SexyGyrlNY

I\'d like to introduce myself.....

Hello to everyone! I happened to stumble upon this site while looking for tips on how to maintain healthy hair and I must say that you ladies on this website have definitely left me impressed (and motivated)! Right now my hair is permed (my hair type looks most similar to Tracy's and brownrelaxedhair), and just past my shoulders. My goal is to have it reach bra strap length by Oct 03’. Right now I am currently taking GNC's Nourishair vitamin, Biotin, MSM and a regular women's multivitamin. I used to just wash my hair every other week, but since I've been reading through everyone's posts, I've upped to to once a week. I must admit though, I am a blow-dryer and a flat-iron fiend (I know, I know...I'm trying to get away from it)but it seems like everything else that I do besides blowdrying it seems to produce results that are less than desirable (puffy boufant hair, or super frizzy) so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to being a part of this board and attaining healthy long hair like so many of the ladies on this board.

Blackndiangirl

Re: I\'d like to introduce myself.....

Hi SexyGyrl,
We are glad to have you here,everyone is really nice and you will learn alot of good information from the board. Happy Hair Growing /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LondonDiva

Hello SexyGyrl

Welcome to the board.

One question....You say you use blowdryers and heat on your hair. How do you find your hair is holding up with the use of those two products. I personally prefer my hair blowdryed and ironed I find the smoother it is the less hair that comes out over time. Some people benefit from using heat and their hair can withstand it, others can't. I have what I would call tuff hair, in the sense that it seems to be able to take all kinds of abuse and still remain on my head. I'd appreciate your view on heat appliances for your tresses. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crysdon

Welcome!

The reason for the frizziness could be that your hair doesn't have enough moisture in it. Hair frizzes by sucking up the water in the air <font color="red"> (humidity) </font color> to replenish what it's missing <font color="green"> (moisture).</font color> I've had that problem before and wondered why I was the only person on the train with big puffy hair and knowing it was straight before I got there.

I started drinking 64 oz of water every day and moisturized my hair more often.

Try roller sets. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

Hi SexyGyrlNY,

Welcome to the board!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SexyGyrlNY

Thanks everyone for the welcome...
LondonDiva- as far as using blowdryers and other heat appliances on my hair, I'll go as far to say that as long as I do it in moderation (I may bump my ends with a flat iron once or twice a week) my hair is generally ok. And like you, my hair does come out alot smoother and not as puffy as it would otherwise.

sweetcocoa

Hello and welcome! My hair does better if I stay away from direct heat. Since I've been taking flaxseed and evening primrose oil capsules, I noticed more moisturized hair(and skin). I'm learning alot of my hair health has to do with what I can do from the inside.

Hi SexyGrlNY! Nice to 'meet' you. Seems like I have another twin then /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I used to use blowdryers and curling irons thinking it was the only way to keep my hair straight but I eventually switched to learning how to rollar set as my hair was gradually breaking at the ends from the irons. I'm really glad I learn't. For me, I rollar set (using smooth rollars with the caps on) and after the hair's dried, I wrap it and go to bed. The next morning the hair comes out straight but with more body than when using curling irons. Any thoughts to trying this out?

To get rid of the frizzy's has just been trial and error over the months plus finding people to help me e.g this board and friend's advice etc. Being we're similar hair types, what shampoos and conditioners do you like using? (NOT that I"m looking for anything, trust me I now have enough to maintain a mini salon /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I personally love anything that gives a good satiny slip to the hair, therefore products with silicones of some sort in. These help add to producing a smoother and frizz free hair dry experience. Also, a teeny drop of serum on the hair ends before rollar setting helps seal the ends, again helping to avoid the frizzies /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Following this board, I've learnt so much its not funny. This time last year I would never have thought of taking hair supplements or flax seed oils etc since no hairdresser tells you these things. Have you considered an essential fatty acid to help moisturize from the inside out?

Anyway enough of my rambling message, I need to get ready for work /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

See you soon.

caramelbarbie

<font color="blue"> Welcome SexyGrylNy!
Like some others have suggested taking an essential fatty acids has really helped not only my hair but my dry skin. The one I take has fish, flax and borage oil. (The borage oil I read some where is great for the hair). Also what are you using as your leave in? I think when trying out air drying the leavin you use is really important. I'm still looking for one that works best for me. I just bought the Ic fantasia hair and scalp leavin thanks to Tracy /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm going to try it this weekend.

Tracy

Hello twin /images/graemlins/grin.gif As ever the ladies have given great advice. Do try to cut down on the heat appliances tho. Particularly on my hair twins this method of styling can mean sudden disaster. You wake up one morning and seemingly overnight - the ends are white, and dry looking and all your hard work is undone. You mayn't see it right away - but it's waiting....LOL!

I understand your pain tho - fine hair can be a bit unruly. I don't know about yours but mine takes on whatever shape it put into - so God help me if I put a ponytail in for 10 minutes - before you know my hair has an indelible ponytail mark. This is why I stuggle with the use of heat. Always trying to get the "crimps" out...even from wrapping.

Have you considered protective styling (wearing the hair in a bun or a twist of some kind that takes the ends up and out of the air) This has meant the difference for many of the ladies here as far as eliminating the use of heat styling tools. Because you aren't always trying to style it. You just pull it up and go.

Hasn't worked for me. But my New Years resolution is to endure 6 months of ugliness (I look atrocious with my hair up. And it gives me awful headaches to boot when I pull it tight to TRY to get a look going) to see how quickly I can get to my goal. My time frame is the same as yours. Bra-strap (or as close as possible by next year Fall (October was my month too) - so we're double twins. Perhaps we can resolve to do some protective styling together? Welcome! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

caramelbarbie

Re: 6 months of ugliness.....paging Tracy

<font color="blue"> "But my New Years resolution is to endure 6 months of ugliness."
Hey Tracy!
I know how you feel. I've been wearing my hair up for 5 weeks now. I hate it! /images/graemlins/frown.gif The draw string ponytail it the only thing that helping me stick with it and support from the gals here on the board. I'll wear my hair down for Christmas and newyears if I get it off. I hope I see some result when I get it relaxed in dec. /images/graemlins/confused.gif The new guy I'm dating(for the past 6 months) hasn't even asked me whats going on with my head. He thought that the ponytail was my hair....until i told him. LOL Now I have a collection....well 3 one short, med and super long......I think he misses putting his hands in my hair....now when he does, he feels bobby pins! LOL I'm thinking about having the air talk with him......

adrienne0914

welcome to the group, sexygyrl! i've had alot of success with protective styles. you should try those more to help cut down on the heat. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

hairfanatic

Hi SexyGyrlNY,

Welcome! It sounds like you have a great regiment going. As far as the blowdrying and flat ironing is concerned.

You can do roller sets with the magnetic rollers.
You can let your hair air dry oppose to blowdrying then, follow up with the flat iron.
You can also do what I do, blowdry on cold, you will notice your hair is not breaking with the cold air.
I also pull my hair down with my hands sometimes, hold the ends and let the air of the blowdryer run through my hair.

All heat doesn't have to be bad if you use a flat iron with temperature control.