If we left our hair alone?

sexyeyes3616

i have always wondered is blk women left thier hair in its natural state would our hair health be a lot better ? I mean if instead of relaxers when we wanted straight hair we just blow dried it straight and used a flat iron like curly haired white chicks do? i mean now morethan ever we have non chemical ways of straightening our hair.....if we didnt use chemicals would our hair be strong enough naturally to stand up to flat irons and blow dryers better?

WhipEffectz1

Personally, I think that if we did leave our hair alone then it would grow and be healthier. I also believe that most black women are known for having short hair because of incorrect procedures in relaxing and too much manipulation of our fragile tresses.

RosesBlack

I can't speak for others but mine would probably be kept in a super short style. I've been relaxed, natural, bone straight relaxed, and now texlaxed and I find texlaxed my hair is healthiest.

gloomgeisha

WhipEffectz1 said:
Personally, I think that if we did leave our hair alone then it would grow and be healthier. I also believe that most black women are known for having short hair because of incorrect procedures in relaxing and too much manipulation of our fragile tresses.

I'd have to agree. I used to think that Black hair just "didn't grow", never realizing that the profuse new growth I was trying to control through pressing, blowdrying,and bad perming technique was the "growth" I had been dreaming of. My hair is longer now than it's been since I was a child.

And now that I know how to take care of it, style it, maintain it, and pamper it in its natural state, it's definitely stronger, softer, more moisturized, and fuller than I could have imagined.

It doesn't hold styles too poorly either.

LocksOfLuV

I don't know. I really don't.

On one hand, I KNOW for a fact that anything closer to it's natural state is better (for strength) as far as hair is concerned.

BUT then again, us with coarser/curlier texture, it is said that our hair is naturally drier and more weaker because of the texture. I don't know how well black women in general (outside of hair boards) would deal with this. Especially considering Pink Oil Moisturizer is the number 1 bought moisturizer by black women and a lot of ladies say that it doesn't do diddly squat for their hair. So I will say that *I* think retention would still be an issue.

And then there is the issue of tangling, ruff combing, etc. So I don't know. Some people's hair thrive because it is relaxed and they are able to handle it better (me) and treat it more gentle.

ETA: Either way our hair would be weakened and whether people want to admit it or not we would still have issues retaining. So who knows?

Last edited:

senimoni

I think it just depends...one on your texture of hair, two ..how often you are trying to flat iron/curl it, and three your overall hair care.

PinkSkates

I've been relaxed and now I'm natural. The answer is yes, my hair likes being chemical-free. Now that I'm natural my hair is stronger, longer and healthier. Being relaxed was too much up-keep for me. I always felt like I was fighting a never ending battle.

curlie rae

From my personal experience, my hair has been way healthier since I have gone natural. When I had a relaxer, I was always fighting to keep it straight by using flat irons, touch-ups etc. which of course led to breakage and just pass chin length hair. Since going natural and staying away from the heat (only an occasional flat iron for trims and special occasions) my hair has flourished and I've retain length and thickness. If I had known the proper way to take care of my relaxed hair, things probably would be different.

MizAvalon

curlie rae said:
From my personal experience, my hair has been way healthier since I have gone natural. When I had a relaxer, I was always fighting to keep it straight by using flat irons, touch-ups etc. which of course led to breakage and just pass chin length hair. Since going natural and staying away from the heat (only an occasional flat iron for trims and special occasions) my hair has flourished and I've retain length and thickness. If I had known the proper way to take care of my relaxed hair, things probably would be different.

Wow, Curlie Rae, your hair is very pretty!:)

Isis

sexyeyes3616 said:
i have always wondered is blk women left thier hair in its natural state would our hair health be a lot better ? I mean if instead of relaxers when we wanted straight hair we just blow dried it straight and used a flat iron like curly haired white chicks do? i mean now morethan ever we have non chemical ways of straightening our hair.....if we didnt use chemicals would our hair be strong enough naturally to stand up to flat irons and blow dryers better?

I believe we've always had non-chemical ways to straighten our hair. Many of the ladies here(myself included) rollerset to straighten hair. Personally, if I didn't use chemicals, I would still stay away from using heat on my hair. Many black and white ladies, natural and processed, are also learning to either stay away from the heat, use minimal heat or use indirect heat on their hair. :)

glamazon386

sexyeyes3616 said:

Of course it would. My hair is 100 % healthier as a natural. And I leave my hair alone. I do get my hair flat ironed when I want to wear it straight.

sareca

I think it's a mistake to speak for 'black women' or all of anybody for that matter. Before relaxing my virgin hair in sept 05 I had trichorrhexis nodosa--it doesn't get any more damaged than that. I use heat 2X/month (if that) and I didn't have a relaxer. I'm texturized now and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been. For me low manipulation and proper conditioning that made the difference not whether or not I had natural or relaxed hair.

Last edited:

justNikki

All I can say on this is after my BC down to less than an inch of hair Xmas eve '05, I got my hair flat ironed for the first time yesterday. I can't believe how much growth I've retained (my hair grows very fast, but I've trimmed about 4 inches total since the BC). The longest layers of my hair in back (after a professional trim) are just above APL...and to see the thickness of my hair down the length, I was so happy. Natural hair ain't no joke. But natural hair, just like processed hair, has to be cared for properly to get good results.

LocksOfLuV

maibaby said:
All I can say on this is after my BC down to less than an inch of hair Xmas eve '05, I got my hair flat ironed for the first time yesterday. I can't believe how much growth I've retained (my hair grows very fast, but I've trimmed about 4 inches total since the BC). The longest layers of my hair in back (after a professional trim) are just above APL...and to see the thickness of my hair down the length, I was so happy. Natural hair ain't no joke. But natural hair, just like processed hair, has to be cared for properly to get good results.

I agree.

We don't have hair like white people-who can blowdry every day, hilight and still have a decent length. I think that is key and we should remember that.

honeybadgirl

my hair is healthiest natural BUT i have been taking much better care of it since going natural. if i knew then what i know now, my relaxed hair would have really flourished also, i'm sure:grin:

Kimberly

I don't know. For me, I think it depends on the woman and the hair. I've seen lots of naturals with jacked up hair and lots of chemically treated ladies with beautiful, healthy (looking) hair.

I've not been natural in almost 30 years but my hair now is the healthiest it has been in a very long time (since my last wonderful hairdresser) becuase I'm learning how to care for it.

lana

I can't speak for others, but I was six years natural and my hair was strong, BUT my hair has been it's strongest and healthiest since I texlaxed. How do I know? Because it looks and feels GREAT! It's showing length that I never had before!

I left my hair alone and it did not look its best (in my opinion). I was natural and still had breakage, way more than now, still had dry hair, way more than now and still struggled with a need for constant upkeep.

So I think that everyone has to find what works best for them and stick to it. Texlaxing was the best thing I ever did for my hair.

guesswho

curlie rae said:

I agree with this 100%

But dang girl I love your hair I've never seen you before just beautiful wow!

CurleeDST

u going natural?

sexyeyes3616 said:

myco

sexyeyes3616 said:

I think this is actually two different questions. If someone wears their hair in a natural state and "leaves it alone", I think that it would thrive depending on their other methods of treatment (maintaining moisture, gentle handling, etc.)

But if their hair is natural and they are heat styling it on a constant basis to keep it straight, it has the same potential to be abused and damaged as someone who relaxes improperly.

I think poor haircare practices/understanding in general are the bigger issue with black women's hair. Much of what we've been taught over time is detrimental to our hair regardless of it's state.

C

chica_canella

sexyeyes3616 said:

Well, for me my natural hair can stand alone if my stylist didn't blowdry, press and then flat iron. Plus he can't deal with my natural texture anyway. But my hair would be healthier to get a relaxer then just moisturize shampoo, condition, rollerset and protective styles oppose to pulling while washing, conditioning, blowdrying, pressing then curling. That's worse to me.:look:

bravenewgirl87

WhipEffectz1 said:

I have said this same thing over and over. Also, probably if we left our hair alone... the market would make better products more suited to natural hair needs.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
curlie rae said:
curlie rae, I've never seen you before either! Your hair looks great! What styles did you primary wear while growing your hair out to this length???

curlie rae

Poohbear said:
curlie rae, I've never seen you before either! Your hair looks great! What styles did you primary wear while growing your hair out to this length???

Thanks! 85% of the time I wear my hair in a puff or what my friends call the "modified puff" and a bun. Everyonce and a while I will do a twistout like in my siggy but I haven't figured out how to keep it from getting dry and tangled by day 3. I need more styles cause I'm getting bored.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I have gone back and forth between relaxed and natural, and in both instances, I notice that when I don't manipulate or brood over my hair I get the best results.

Just last night my father sent me Christmas pictures that he had finally developed. My hair was long and that was well before my hair journey (I started in late mid-April of this year). I wasn't doing much to it but washing and setting once a week. I didn't obsess over moisturizers and products, and yet looking at my hair in those pictures, it looked healthy then.

And get this: I did use heat on my hair for Christmas and it looked healthy. I don't use heat now and my hair doesn't look any better than it did then. Furthermore, I didn't wear it in protective styles at all. I wore my hair down almost daily, rolling it up at night and sleeping in a silk bonnet. And still, those pictures showed health and shine.

So you might be on to something here. Again, even as I relax my hair, it didn't appear to be less healthy than when I was natural. And now, I'm hoping that keeping it in protective styles may prove beneficial. But, by and large, leaving it alone may be the best bet yet! I think less manipulation--whether relaxed or natural--is the key! ;)

PinkSkates

Originally posted by Bravenewgirl87:
I have said this same thing over and over. Also, probably if we left our hair alone... the market would make better products more suited to natural hair needs.

Amen! Let's face it; chemicals slowly weakens our hair and so does heat!