If you had one side shorter due to breakage what would you do? Please help

kgard7777

Due to overprocessing back in May of this year my hair has broken off alot.. and the left front side after I trimmed it up is a little past ear length and the rest of my hair is about at brastrap length...with a few breakage layers sprinkled in.. My question is what would you do? Keep wearing buns to disguise it and or curly rollersets to grow it out a few inches or cut all of you hair off to match that side? (That would really sadden me)

Has anyone had this problem before and just worked with their hair and breakage areas so they eventually blend? I do know that straight styles are out for awhile unless I pin that side or something :perplexed please help!

aprilj

kg, I'm having the same issue with my hair due to a bad braiding experience in August. My problem area is in the back/middle section of my hair. Right now I'm just babying the mess out of it by applying Shikakai Oil on my scalp and massaging that area. I did do a small trim and will con tinue to do so until my hair fills in a little more. It has been looking a little better with the trims that I have been doing. If it doesn't look bad, I would just do small trims baby that area and bun for a awhile and see how that works for you :yep:.

glamazon386

Just keep an eye on it. Tuck it under or pin it back so you can't see it. Since it's so much shorter than the rest of the hair, I wouldn't cut it.

Leslie_C

I wouldnt cut it either. Just wear it in styles that dont show it and it might even catch up (my hair grows at different rates).

I have the same problem now, my nape area on the right side broke off somehow and it was shorter and thinner than the other side of my head. But after really babying that area its starting to catch up with the rest of my hair.

loved

My left side has been shorter for a while. I'm beginning to think it's because I'm right handed and my hand automatically goes to the right for scalp massages, product application, etc.

At first, I was constantly cutting the right, but in May 07 I vowed to stop that because my goal is to grow and I know that a little uneveness is not as noticeable on longer hiar.

So I would say let it grow and if you want to wear it out, tuck one side behind your ear or pin it up or back so that you can't tell.

Amarech

Wow....as I read your post (OP) I was thinking of a cute grow out style you could try.

You could start wearing the longer hair in a low ponytail or a nice chingnon (sp? see my siggy). The shorter hair you could pin up (like one poster suggested) in a nice 40s style wavy bang.

You could even wear the longer hair down and play around with the shorter hair as it grows out.

-braid it

-wave it up

-twist it

Only you need to know about your "problem". Everyone else can just think you have creativity with your hair!!:)

good luck with your growth. It will grow back. I had the same problem but my hair is not so long so I just evened things out. I know things will be back to normal by Feb.

HoneyDew

I have the same problem and I wear my hair up a lot in the very back or wear curly styles when I wear it down. Curly styles really do hide it well.

locabouthair

Due to overprocessing back in May of this year my hair has broken off alot.. and the left front side after I trimmed it up is a little past ear length and the rest of my hair is about at brastrap length...with a few breakage layers sprinkled in.. My question is what would you do? Keep wearing buns to disguise it and or curly rollersets to grow it out a few inches or cut all of you hair off to match that side? (That would really sadden me)

Has anyone had this problem before and just worked with their hair and breakage areas so they eventually blend? I do know that straight styles are out for awhile unless I pin that side or something :perplexed please help!

Wow, the bolded decribes me to a T.

Like the other ladies said wear it in styles that hide the breakage. i usually wear my hair up and when i wear it down I make sure my hair has some curls in it.

MizAvalon

I agree with the other ladies. Wear it in styles that hide the breakage if you can. Then maybe once the shorter side gets longer you might try to even the sides up.

SouthernTease

This happened to me in the past... that's what happens when you use chemicals.
Cut my hair to the shortest it's even been in my life... neck length...
April 2007 (see my siggy pic) it was a fresh start with a new mentality...
and my hair journey began. Learned a valuable lesson...
which was chemicals are the devil :grin: and that I should avoid them
at all costs unless I wanted to be bald headed. HTH!

kgard7777

Wow thanks for all of your responses and I too learned that chemicals are the devil. I started transitioning HOWEVER and don't blast me I still use Just for me texturizer on the front 1 inch of my edges every 2 mths.. the rest of my hair has not been touched by a chemical since May mishap.

I think I will just wait it out because I remember about 4 yrs ago the front right side was so short and damaged so when I styled it I just put it behind my ear. Well I did that for like a year until one day I styled it and it was so long and healthy and it acutally was healthier than the left stronger side...