If your hair is/was overprocessed.....

Kiki82

what steps do/did you take to revive hair....Basically I want to know did you NOT relax until you got your hair under control and healthy? What regime did you use that helped?

TIA,
Kiki82

ETA: How did you know that your hair was overprocessed?

atlien11

Hi Kiki,

My hair was overprocessed when my stylist was overlapping my perms (on accident im sure :look:). On top of that i was using affirm no-lye :sad:

What I ended up doing was i had to continue my hair regimen, baby it, and as it grew i slowly cut out the overprocessed ends. I switched my relaxer to something more gentle (phyto) and i stretched a lot longer so that the NEW stylist could see where to apply the perm. It took awhile but i finally got rid of the overprocessed hair.

Im not sure you can reverse the effects of overprocessing, but you can keep your hair conditioned so that it doesnt break off. Also, dont forget the protein here and there so that it remains strong.

Kiki82

Ok so you can't reverse it can someone recommend a good routine to use. Right now, I am 7 weeks post...I thought that one side of my nape was breaking...so I was babying it and saw improvement. Yesterday I washed my hair , but instead of doing my usual rollerset I airdryed and did a braid out...only to find out that the middle and other side of nape isn't doing too hot either...it was thin I feel really horrible...so now I am going into full nurse mode. I usually wash my hair and do a protein and DC treatment twice a week and rollerset. I usually relax at 10 weeks which I will not be doing until this is under control. My question is should I continue my routine and add a cowash plus do a Queen helene cholesterol DC only once a week and instead of my rollersets just airdry?

how to wear my hair once airdryed?

Kiki82

Jadore_tay

PLEASE DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR BEFORE YOU TREAT IT

my hair was over processed and I:
1. Pre-pooed with alma oil
2. poo with aveda dr remedy
3. used 2 eggs with cheap conditioner (as protein)
4. followed up with aveda con (dc)
5. rollerset
6. oil scalp and moisturize hair nightly
7. bun everyday
NO direct heat ever, do not comb your hair too often

It took me 3 months to get rid of the damage, now im back on track

Last edited:

wheezy807

My hair was overprocessed before i came here. Deep conditioning really turn my hair around, i never cut it.

Kiki82

5. rollerset
7. bun everyday

Thank you so much...I have a few questions....

1. did you airdry with your rollerset?
2.what oil did you use on your scalp nightly?
3. when pre pooing did you apply the alma oil to you scalp as well? How long did you prepoo?
4. how often did you do this regime? once a week..or twice a week?
5. what did you use as a moisturizer?

Last edited:

prospurr4

My hair was overprocessed with see-through ends when I started my hair journey, but I never cut it either. I suggest:

- weekly protein treatments with Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner (or protein of your choice) followed by a moisturizing DC (Motions Moisture Plus is what I use)
- absolutely no direct heat for a while; airdrying or hood dryer is okay
- stretch your relaxers as long as you can
- when you do touchup, saturate your previously-relaxed hair with oil or conditioner
- moisturize your ends once or twice daily
- protect your hair at bedtime with a scarf and/or bonnet made of silk or satin; or at least sleep on a satin pillowcase

I hope your hair makes a full recovery.

Kiki82

My hair was overprocessed with see-through ends when I started my hair journey, but I never cut it either. I suggest:

- weekly protein treatments with Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner (or protein of your choice) followed by a moisturizing DC (Motions Moisture Plus is what I use)
- absolutely no direct heat for a while; airdrying or hood dryer is okay
- stretch your relaxers as long as you can
- when you do touchup, saturate your previously-relaxed hair with oil or conditioner
- moisturize your ends once or twice daily
- protect your hair at bedtime with a scarf and/or bonnet made of silk or satin; or at least sleep on a satin pillowcase

I hope your hair makes a full recovery.

Thanks...How long did you keep the motions cpr in your hair before rinsing out?

vestaluv1

5. rollerset
7. bun everyday

My hair was quite simply put... A BRITTLE, FRIZZY, STRAW-LIKE MESS! Its a lot better now.

I did a regimen similar to Tay_luv...
  • Prepooing with either Amla Oil, Brahmi Amla Oil or Bringraj Oil
  • Head massages
  • Using Ayurvedic powders twice a week to wash my hair (instead of chemically loaded shampoos)
  • Deep conditioning with Hair Mayonnaise
  • Moisturising and sealing every day (Carrot Oil / Shea Butter and Vatika Oil)
  • Hiding my hair (with wigs/buns and phony ponies)
  • Baggying every night to retain moisture
  • Satin bonnets and satin pillows
  • Minimal combing... I finger combed most of the time
I also stretched my relaxer for almost 10 months and trimmed... well the stylist hacked off between 1 to 2 inches (in some places) this month, but I'm not complaining, because my ends were a total tragedy... you can see what I mean in my siggy (March).

Also, I used Lye this time around after using No Lye for years, and found that Lye did not leave my hair dry and brittle as did the No Lye.

wheezy807

what kinds of DC did you use? how long should I wait to relax?

Kiki82
Some of my favorites are AtOne Reconstructor, Kenra MC, L'Oreal Nature's Therapy MEGA MOISTURE Nurturing Creme, ORS Replenishing Paks, CON, Silk Elements MEGA Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment and also SE MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment, ORS Hair Mayo. I love Cholestrol Treatment from Lustrasilk, Queen Helene and LeKair. As far as waiting to relax, just let your hair improve a little bit more. That's good you usually stretch til 10 wks.

Last edited:

sylver2

what steps do/did you take to revive hair....Basically I want to know did you NOT relax until you got your hair under control and healthy? What regime did you use that helped?

TIA,
Kiki82

this is exactly what i did...am doing.
my hair has been overprocessed a few times. first time it broke off in the crown area, i had to cut all off to pixie cut and start over. other times it broke off i went into nurture mode and stopped relaxing for awhile. last time i did a 6 month stretch and babied my hair. this time a 1 year stretch.

sowhut

my hair has been overprocessed a few times. first time it broke off in the crown area, i had to cut all off to pixie cut and start over. other times it broke off i went into nurture mode and stopped relaxing for awhile. last time i did a 6 month stretch and babied my hair. this time a 1 year stretch.

The same happened to me before i became a member here. I did a year long stretch too (from 3/05 -3/06). I wore extensions when times got rough for me though. I cut it into a chin length bob after the year and started from there. Now im doing 6 month stretches.

dm81

TIA,
Kiki82

My overprocessed hair resulted in my fronts and nape breaking, and my hair being extremely dry. To try to combat it, I used qp mango butter which did a good job as far as moisture goes and I stayed away from heat except for the couple of days when I work. In the end though I went to a stylist who cut off most of the damaged ends, and again I stayed away from heat. I also started using Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer which has really helped my hair, it gives it body and strength just like it claims.

Kiki82

Some of my favorites are AtOne Reconstructor, Kenra MC, L'Oreal Nature's Therapy MEGA MOISTURE Nurturing Creme, ORS Replenishing Paks, CON, Silk Elements MEGA Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment and also SE MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment, ORS Hair Mayo. I love Cholestrol Treatment from Lustrasilk, Queen Helene and LeKair. As far as waiting to relax, just let your hair improve a little bit more. That's good you usually stretch til 10 wks.

Thanks....

Kiki82

My hair was quite simply put... A BRITTLE, FRIZZY, STRAW-LIKE MESS! Its a lot better now.

I did a regimen similar to Tay_luv...
  • Prepooing with either Amla Oil, Brahmi Amla Oil or Bringraj Oil
  • Head massages
  • Using Ayurvedic powders twice a week to wash my hair (instead of chemically loaded shampoos)
  • Deep conditioning with Hair Mayonnaise
  • Moisturising and sealing every day (Carrot Oil / Shea Butter and Vatika Oil)
  • Hiding my hair (with wigs/buns and phony ponies)
  • Baggying every night to retain moisture
  • Satin bonnets and satin pillows
  • Minimal combing... I finger combed most of the time
I also stretched my relaxer for almost 10 months and trimmed... well the stylist hacked off between 1 to 2 inches (in some places) this month, but I'm not complaining, because my ends were a total tragedy... you can see what I mean in my siggy (March).

Also, I used Lye this time around after using No Lye for years, and found that Lye did not leave my hair dry and brittle as did the No Lye.

I also switched from no-lye to lye....btw your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kiki82

sylver,

I was actually looking at your fotki this morning...because lord knows I am not relaxing until it is better...for that to happen I need to do that scarf method and airdry...

Kiki82

My overprocessed hair resulted in my fronts and nape breaking, and my hair being extremely dry. To try to combat it, I used qp mango butter which did a good job as far as moisture goes and I stayed away from heat except for the couple of days when I work. In the end though I went to a stylist who cut off most of the damaged ends, and again I stayed away from heat. I also started using Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer which has really helped my hair, it gives it body and strength just like it claims.

how did you use the green tea restructurizer?

prospurr4

And did you do it separetly or did you mix the cpr with the moisturizing DC...

They are separate steps. First I applied the Motions CPR and covered with a plastic cap for up to 15 minutes, then I rinsed throughly. Next, I applied the Motions Moisture Plus, covered with a plastic cap and let sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour (while I do chores or something).

Jadore_tay

Thank you so much...I have a few questions....

1. did you airdry with your rollerset? no i went under the dryer on a low setting
2.what oil did you use on your scalp nightly? i used jamaican black castor oil
3. when pre pooing did you apply the alma oil to you scalp as well? How long did you prepoo?no i just put it in my hair for 2 hours
4. how often did you do this regime? once a week..or twice a week? every four days
5. what did you use as a moisturizer? shea butter or mizani rose h2o

good luck. i hope you get through this