If you're a PJ - like I'm becoming, how do you know what is working?

It~Can~Grow

How in the world do we tell what works if we're PJs? I mentioned in another post that I found some organic products at the health food store today, and I am excited to use, especially the Giovanni leave in, 50:50 balanced hair remoisturizer and hair reconstructor, but how?

My how statement is how do you successfully rotate through your product inventory - and how do you know 'yeah, it was that Giovanni reconstructor and not the Joico reconstructor that turned my hair around?"

:ohwell: :perplexed :nono:

I use things for a set period of time - usually a full 'cycle' of my regimen, which used to be 4 weeks, and is now 6 weeks.
So - that helps me really be able to see changes in my hair for the better. Usually, stuff that messes my hair up shows itself it the first application or two, so the BAD stuff gets dropped quickly, the AVERAGE stuff will usually go through a whole cycle and then I'll use it up til/unless I find something better and the GOOD stuff will join the regular rotation. The REALLY GOOD stuff might make me rearrange my regimen/drop old products to fit it in.....

ETA: Damn. I just confessed I'mma PJ. :lachen: I don't wanna be!!! I'm just.... curious! Yeah, that's it, I'm CURIOUS about products. I ain't no junkie! :lachen:

I agree with nappywomyn. I was going to say that you have to use stuff for a nice period of time to see how it's working. Unfortunately it's a hard thing to do if you are a pj.

I'm a pj but I'm better than I use to be. I don't want to be one anymore.

Giovanni leave in, 50:50 balanced hair remoisturizer and hair reconstructor

Great product choices!! Those are some of my staples.

I think that not being able to tell what works is one of the pitfalls of being a PJ. I agree you just have to try products for a set period of time. Also, dont mix products when you are first using them...see what they do individually before you doctor them up and remix them.

Oh and once you find the products that produce good results....STICK TO THEM!! Most women you see with great hair have solid regi's that they stick to and dont cheat on. There is always room for small tweaks...but in my opinion being a PJ can be counterproductive to reaching your goal.

Since we're on this subject, do ya'll clarify or deep condition first with a product you know that works, that way you'll be able to tell if the new product is good for your hair?

If it's a conditioner/wet hair treatment, yes, I'll clarify with baking soda first.
If it's a leave-in, moisturizer, etc, it depends. I assume I'll be using it on my non-clarified hair if it does pass muster, so I won't make an EFFORT to clarify beforehand.

Back