If you've ever had a corrective relaxer.....

blackberry815

Has anyone had a corrective relaxer done more than once? If so what were ur results? Did it all fall out or was it a success?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

me-T

i did. when i first relaxed after bein natural for about 2 years, i had to do a corrective all over, but a big part on the left, after many tries, still never straightened out. no breakage problems, it was just annoying. my head looked a mess when it was wet.

SelfStyled

I have not had any luck with correctives, at all. Usually the section I am trying to correct ends up being this funny texture that never gets straightened out any way.

I would suggest you look into why relaxers are leaving you underprocessed. Are you adding oils into it, not chelating the poo before, etc...

For me, I have found that lye relaxers do not work for me. No Lye is perfect for my hair.

blackberry815

Well the original underprocessing occurred when I went to a new stylist and she applied the relaxer and almost immediately rinsed it out. No smoothing or nothin.... she also used affirm which is a different relaxer than what I regularly use....I guess she was trying to Texlax me but the rest of my hair was processed bone straight and I prefer the straighter texture. Then I went to my previous stylist to have her correct it about a month later and I must've over oiled my hair and it did not process...I was so mad at myself for using all that jbco. Then this last relaxer I self relaxed and smoothed the relaxer down to the underprocessed parts for the last minute or so and it got straighter but still not the same texture as the rest. I don't Think I smoothed it down enough or let it sit enough. I want to attempt it again for my next relaxer but I'm a little apprehensive.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@chasturner84 and :hiya: OP,

Long story short, I'm still under processed so when you figure it out, then you let me know.

Background:
The hair has been under processed since Oct. I was under processed by my then stylist. I did not go for an immediate corrective. I opted to correct upon the next TU. I gave the same stylist a second chance to "correct" the situation and was left under processed again. By this time, it was Dec. I looked for a new stylist.

The new stylist attempted to correct my hair (Feb) and somewhat succeeded but the back right quandrant is still not right. I went back to her for another TU (May) and my hair is still not right. She is unwilling to futher "correct" my hair as she feels the wavy texture is just my texture. I totally disagree because the rest of my hair is not textured.

Needless to say, I'm looking for yet another stylist. I want my hair one uniformed texture and that's pretty much is bone straight except for that one questionable area.

blackberry815

@chasturner84 and :hiya: OP,

Long story short, I'm still under processed so when you figure it out, then you let me know.

Background:
The hair has been under processed since Oct. I was under processed by my then stylist. I did not go for an immediate corrective. I opted to correct upon the next TU. I gave the same stylist a second chance to "correct" the situation and was left under processed again. By this time, it was Dec. I looked for a new stylist.

The new stylist attempted to correct my hair (Feb) and somewhat succeeded but the back right quandrant is still not right. I went back to her for another TU (May) and my hair is still not right. She is unwilling to futher "correct" my hair as she feels the wavy texture is just my texture. I totally disagree because the rest of my hair is not textured.

Needless to say, I'm looking for yet another stylist. I want my hair one uniformed texture and that's pretty much is bone straight except for that one questionable area.

Thanks divachyk....Do you think that u may be overprocessed? Or do u think its just that the corrective wasn't done properly? I've read in some threads that overprocessed hair acts like underprocessed hair except that it won't straigten.

The thing is it has straightened out a little.... Just not enough.

I also read a thread where someone posted that their 3rd corrective relaxer was a success..... So maybe the next time will be a charm.....hmm I don't know.

So basically the general consensus is that corrective relaxers don't work? :( I need hope!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
blackberry815 - I'm no expert on the matter but I definitely feel that I am not over processed. My hair became under processed from stretching to 16 weeks. The then stylist was unable to work through the ng, thus the hair never got straight.

blackberry815

thanks divachyk when you got your corrective done at the salon how did they do it. Did she pull the relaxer down to the underprocessed parts in the end? How long did she let it sit on those areas?

bklynbornNbred

@blackberry815 Not sure what you ended up doing just wanted to share my success story (finally!!) :dance7:

I do long stretches because of my workout schedule - I wear wigs or weaves so it makes no sense to relax more often.

I relaxed with Mizani Butterblends twice in Jan 2010 and Jun 2010. I was underwhelmed with the results - my hair did not take to it or reach the straightness that I prefer. I did a relaxer in November 2010 but I didn't write it down - it didn't take again and I was pissed and went back to braiding under my wigs.

In March 2011 I used Elasta QP (regular). While the results were straighter on my new growth it still didn't fully fix the older areas so after a few days it was back to the buns and wigs etc. I was so frustrated with washing my hair last week (tangling because of the multiple textures) I said enough of this. Yesterday I bought ORS Super - laid out all of the materials - parted my hair in four sections and in 10 minutes had my head done. Spent 5 minutes smoothing each section out and then pulled through the length & let it sit for the final 5 minutes. I immediately rinsed it out - used the Milani neutralizing shampoo (3 times until clear white - the third time letting it sit on my head for a few minutes before rinsing out), used Porosity control - 1 minute. Did a shampoo with CON Argon & rinsed. Then put in my ORS Hair mayonaise mixed with Jojaba oil which sat on my head for about 3 hours as I cleaned. After rinsing I set my hair and sat under my dryer and it was perfection!! So far I'll those spots that were puffing up as not processed are gone. Moving up to super may not be the answer for you just sharing what worked for me.

I know: :needpics:

but sorry there won't be any. All of the relaxers in the store are now pre mixed so I'm not sure about lye/no lye but for me I realized the common denominator for these poor taking relaxers was the strength. I know how to put relaxers in (my stylist taught me years ago when I went away to school) however after looking at an old daytimer I remembered she used to use super on me. I've used regular in the past so I could take my time but I guess my resiliant locks are not having it anymore especially with these super long stretches. (I do my hair myself these days to save $$).

My hair is now just shy of BSL (on my "high" bra I'm there) but I know by the time I am ready to claim it I'll probably be at MBL LOL. I'll see how hot it is this summer but between braidouts and my wigs I probably won't relax my hair again until October.

I don't get this typing thing but from looking at some of the heads on here I'd say I'm 4 a/b. When I was younger and perm free my mom broke a goody comb detangling my hair (which led to her finally giving in and allowing me to get a perm at 14/15). It would shrink to my scalp if she didn't comb it out and twist in sections to dry but I was mostly pressed until I finally got my perm. (I was a dancer so the constant "don't sweat your hair out" was pointless - I wanted to wear my bun with no drama).

I never had bad perm experiences - between my stylist and my cousin its just been a choice for me that works with my lifestyle. I was stretching before I knew what stretching was because my mother wasn't spending $$ getting hair done every 6 weeks & my stylist absolutely refused to put it in that often so I had to make it work. As far as I remember except for my Halle Berry days post college when I was paying for it I was on a roughly 12 week schedule. People always swore I was wearing a wig when I wasn't because it looked "too" thick and healthy. Only after being on LHCF did I realize how special my stylist really was.

** Sorry this is so long just wanted to add the disclaimers and details. Hope you figure out what works for you.

blackberry815

@blackberry815 Not sure what you ended up doing just wanted to share my success story (finally!!) :dance7:

I do long stretches because of my workout schedule - I wear wigs or weaves so it makes no sense to relax more often.

I relaxed with Mizani Butterblends twice in Jan 2010 and Jun 2010. I was underwhelmed with the results - my hair did not take to it or reach the straightness that I prefer. I did a relaxer in November 2010 but I didn't write it down - it didn't take again and I was pissed and went back to braiding under my wigs.

In March 2011 I used Elasta QP (regular). While the results were straighter on my new growth it still didn't fully fix the older areas so after a few days it was back to the buns and wigs etc. I was so frustrated with washing my hair last week (tangling because of the multiple textures) I said enough of this. Yesterday I bought ORS Super - laid out all of the materials - parted my hair in four sections and in 10 minutes had my head done. Spent 5 minutes smoothing each section out and then pulled through the length & let it sit for the final 5 minutes. I immediately rinsed it out - used the Milani neutralizing shampoo (3 times until clear white - the third time letting it sit on my head for a few minutes before rinsing out), used Porosity control - 1 minute. Did a shampoo with CON Argon & rinsed. Then put in my ORS Hair mayonaise mixed with Jojaba oil which sat on my head for about 3 hours as I cleaned. After rinsing I set my hair and sat under my dryer and it was perfection!! So far I'll those spots that were puffing up as not processed are gone. Moving up to super may not be the answer for you just sharing what worked for me.

I know: :needpics:

but sorry there won't be any. All of the relaxers in the store are now pre mixed so I'm not sure about lye/no lye but for me I realized the common denominator for these poor taking relaxers was the strength. I know how to put relaxers in (my stylist taught me years ago when I went away to school) however after looking at an old daytimer I remembered she used to use super on me. I've used regular in the past so I could take my time but I guess my resiliant locks are not having it anymore especially with these super long stretches. (I do my hair myself these days to save $$).

My hair is now just shy of BSL (on my "high" bra I'm there) but I know by the time I am ready to claim it I'll probably be at MBL LOL. I'll see how hot it is this summer but between braidouts and my wigs I probably won't relax my hair again until October.

I don't get this typing thing but from looking at some of the heads on here I'd say I'm 4 a/b. When I was younger and perm free my mom broke a goody comb detangling my hair (which led to her finally giving in and allowing me to get a perm at 14/15). It would shrink to my scalp if she didn't comb it out and twist in sections to dry but I was mostly pressed until I finally got my perm. (I was a dancer so the constant "don't sweat your hair out" was pointless - I wanted to wear my bun with no drama).

I never had bad perm experiences - between my stylist and my cousin its just been a choice for me that works with my lifestyle. I was stretching before I knew what stretching was because my mother wasn't spending $$ getting hair done every 6 weeks & my stylist absolutely refused to put it in that often so I had to make it work. As far as I remember except for my Halle Berry days post college when I was paying for it I was on a roughly 12 week schedule. People always swore I was wearing a wig when I wasn't because it looked "too" thick and healthy. Only after being on LHCF did I realize how special my stylist really was.

** Sorry this is so long just wanted to add the disclaimers and details. Hope you figure out what works for you.

Aww thanks for the tips! I actually used to use super also a few years ago but I switched to regular when I realized that although my roots are quite tight my individual strands are fine.. its just my crown that doesn't take as well. Everything else processes pretty quickly and easily. I will do another corrective next time I relax in July. I have a huge tub of relaxer to finish but maybe after its done I will consider going back to super. Thanks for the tips. BTW if you don't mind sharing any relaxer tips from what ur hairdresser taught u please share ur process!

bklynbornNbred

Sure. What she told me others have posted on here before from what others have written about their stylist mine was ahead of her time in 1991.

For prep she had me make sure I had everything I would need laid out-the big tooth comb, the towels, shampoo, conditioner etc. Plenty of times this step saved me because sometimes you swore you still had neutralizer or enough perm left etc. Back in college that was easy since all that was needed came in the box but now that I have my "professional size" items at home I make sure I check and double check supplies before you put anything in your head.

Before doing my hair I was to detangle and comb through and section into four. I pin up 3 sections with bobby pin and start with one of the back sections from the top down (leaving the very outer edges (kitchen & hairline) undone. I start from top down since my crown is usually the thickest and needs to have the perm on longer. I used to use brush to apply but now I just use my hands. Once each section has been hit I go back through each section in same order using the edge of the comb to part smaller sections and smooth through the relaxer with back of comb (& add any more if I missed a spot). With the back of my head this is mostly by touch now since I don't bother with running back and forth to hold up the mirror. As I "finish" each section I add to the kitchen/hairline and pull through what was permed (when I say pull through I don't mean through the whole length just the new section). I only added the additional pull yesterday to apply the corrective. When done it looks like I have 4 snoop dog ponytails on my head (without rubberbands of course).

Many people work from the bottom up but that way usually ends up with your kitchen area overprocessed & prone to breakage while your front hairline is undone because you started to burn. For me top down has worked best - the back sections first then the front sections.

Once my time was up I do one last rub through with my hands (this usually makes the four into two) while doing my 60 second dance (just one more minute) then rinse my head out in the kitchen sink. I did the run back and forth to the bathroom so I could see that the relaxer was all out but the suds in the sink from the second rinse were all white (I did the 3rd one just because I'm a little OCD).

I had cleaning to do yesterday so I didn't sit under dryer with conditioner but if I'm in straight hair mode I would have done it for at least 10 minutes.

I had washed my hair on Tues but normally I don't wash that soon before relaxing. Even with my ridiculous amount of new growth I usually wait at least a week after a shampoo before applying relaxer. Since I knew I was going to do a corrective I made sure to put extra oil/moisturizing lotion on my ends the rest of the week & just kept it in a bun. No scratching and I was good. If I think of anything else I'll edit and add.

Outside of my Halle days I was a wrap or rollerset girl & she instilled in me the need to use heat protectors and low heat (smaller sections on medium vs. big sections with the curler on HADES). While everyone else had curling irons with the nasty black gunk on them that smelled when turned on mine looked brand new and unused. I cringe when I think of how often I used to curl my hair in college (before I finally started braiding it) but I had no damage because of her techniques.

blackberry815

Sure. What she told me others have posted on here before from what others have written about their stylist mine was ahead of her time in 1991.

For prep she had me make sure I had everything I would need laid out-the big tooth comb, the towels, shampoo, conditioner etc. Plenty of times this step saved me because sometimes you swore you still had neutralizer or enough perm left etc. Back in college that was easy since all that was needed came in the box but now that I have my "professional size" items at home I make sure I check and double check supplies before you put anything in your head.

Before doing my hair I was to detangle and comb through and section into four. I pin up 3 sections with bobby pin and start with one of the back sections from the top down (leaving the very outer edges (kitchen & hairline) undone. I start from top down since my crown is usually the thickest and needs to have the perm on longer. I used to use brush to apply but now I just use my hands. Once each section has been hit I go back through each section in same order using the edge of the comb to part smaller sections and smooth through the relaxer with back of comb (& add any more if I missed a spot). With the back of my head this is mostly by touch now since I don't bother with running back and forth to hold up the mirror. As I "finish" each section I add to the kitchen/hairline and pull through what was permed (when I say pull through I don't mean through the whole length just the new section). I only added the additional pull yesterday to apply the corrective. When done it looks like I have 4 snoop dog ponytails on my head (without rubberbands of course).

Many people work from the bottom up but that way usually ends up with your kitchen area overprocessed & prone to breakage while your front hairline is undone because you started to burn. For me top down has worked best - the back sections first then the front sections.

Once my time was up I do one last rub through with my hands (this usually makes the four into two) while doing my 60 second dance (just one more minute) then rinse my head out in the kitchen sink. I did the run back and forth to the bathroom so I could see that the relaxer was all out but the suds in the sink from the second rinse were all white (I did the 3rd one just because I'm a little OCD).

I had cleaning to do yesterday so I didn't sit under dryer with conditioner but if I'm in straight hair mode I would have done it for at least 10 minutes.

I had washed my hair on Tues but normally I don't wash that soon before relaxing. Even with my ridiculous amount of new growth I usually wait at least a week after a shampoo before applying relaxer. Since I knew I was going to do a corrective I made sure to put extra oil/moisturizing lotion on my ends the rest of the week & just kept it in a bun. No scratching and I was good. If I think of anything else I'll edit and add.

Outside of my Halle days I was a wrap or rollerset girl & she instilled in me the need to use heat protectors and low heat (smaller sections on medium vs. big sections with the curler on HADES). While everyone else had curling irons with the nasty black gunk on them that smelled when turned on mine looked brand new and unused. I cringe when I think of how often I used to curl my hair in college (before I finally started braiding it) but I had no damage because of her techniques.

Thanks for sharing that with me! One question tho...When u say pull through do u mean with a comb ?

blackberry815

bklynbornNbred do you think you'll keep using super from bow on? Or was that just the way to correct it? Do u think that overtime the super will thin ur strands out? My problem area is just in my crown really. I'm thinking a super might be too much for my edges and sides since they usually turn out fine with regular. What do u think?

bklynbornNbred

blackberry815

1- I guess I should have just said spread as I'm smoothing product from the scalp to the line of demarcation. I do this just in case I missed a spot.

2. For me I think I will use the super again. I didn't like how my hair was coming out with different brands so I believe it that strength was the issue. I don't think thinning will be an issue as I don't relax every 8 weeks so as long as I keep up with everything else (conditioning/vitamins etc) I should be fine. If I notice any trouble though I'll rethink it. This time of year is when I get my growth spurt so by the time I go to do this again in October I will have more than enough new growth to work with.

If you've never had a super I don't feel comfortable suggesting that. Do you think your problem be resolved by changing the application technique? If you did your hair in sections and worked from the top down then the crown would have the relaxer on the longest and your edges which you have not had any issues with would have the relaxer for a shorter amount of time. If not then perhaps the super for one time to correct would work. What was the timeline for your last few perms?

blackberry815

@blackberry815

1- I guess I should have just said spread as I'm smoothing product from the scalp to the line of demarcation. I do this just in case I missed a spot.

2. For me I think I will use the super again. I didn't like how my hair was coming out with different brands so I believe it that strength was the issue. I don't think thinning will be an issue as I don't relax every 8 weeks so as long as I keep up with everything else (conditioning/vitamins etc) I should be fine. If I notice any trouble though I'll rethink it. This time of year is when I get my growth spurt so by the time I go to do this again in October I will have more than enough new growth to work with.

If you've never had a super I don't feel comfortable suggesting that. Do you think your problem be resolved by changing the application technique? If you did your hair in sections and worked from the top down then the crown would have the relaxer on the longest and your edges which you have not had any issues with would have the relaxer for a shorter amount of time. If not then perhaps the super for one time to correct would work. What was the timeline for your last few perms?

Well I've used super in the past when I was relaxed but then I had locs for six years, combed them out, and relaxed again. This time around I've only used regular but I've only been relaxed again since September 2010. I relax every 8 weeks.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Super relaxers are highly misunderstood. It has nothing to do with the strength of the relaxer. It processes faster when you use it and that was told to me by a pro. Super relaxers are only meant to be used by professionals or those who really know what they are doing.:lol: You are more likely to get over processed or get scalp burns if you process your hair too long with it.:ohwell:

JJamiah

I have had corrective done twice and she did a fantastic job. She was correcting work that wasn't her own. She did a fab Job. At that point, I blow dried it straight so she couldn't see which was wavy and which wasn't the following session I didn't blow straight she corrected and was great ever since. I got no extra breakage and my hair is didn't fall out. :)

I think it all depends on who is doing it and their level of experience doing it.

blackberry815

I have had corrective done twice and she did a fantastic job. She was correcting work that wasn't her own. She did a fab Job. At that point, I blow dried it straight so she couldn't see which was wavy and which wasn't the following session I didn't blow straight she corrected and was great ever since. I got no extra breakage and my hair is didn't fall out. :)

I think it all depends on who is doing it and their level of experience doing it.

Thanks!

Did she apply it to the ends at the last minute or did she allow it to process the full time?

JJamiah

Thanks!

Did she apply it to the ends at the last minute or did she allow it to process the full time?

It was actually the Middle, LOL it was so mish mosh, that she was like :nono:.

She applied it to my roots and then to the troubled spots towards the mid of the session.

blackberry815

Thanks.. On second thought..I really want to attempt this again myself. I have had too many bad experiences with hair dressers. I just know they will just try to re relax my whole head for the same processing time, or leave it in too long. or try to correct areas that are already bone straight... I have hadtoo many bad experiences with salons..lol

dlove

OP, a corrective relaxer caused me to BC 3 months later...I never looked back. Good Luck with that