I'm afraid to wash my hair

H

HoneyRockette

I\'m afraid to wash my hair

I washed my braids a week after I got them. My hair underneath frizzed up and it took me a week and a half to get them to look nice again. I haven't washed my hair since. It has been a month. I have been using the Herbal Cleanse from ORS two or three times a week. I plan to remove my braids soon but my braid appointment isn't for another two weeks. Should I attempt to wash my hair or should I continue using the Herbal Cleanse until I remove them?

Ebony

Re: I\'m afraid to wash my hair

Well, if it took you a week and a half to get them looking good again, and you wash now, you'll go thru the same process. By the time you get them looking good again, it will be time for your appt. anywayz. I say hold off from washing if you can. Save yourself the headache.

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
Ebony said:
Well, if it took you a week and a half to get them looking good again, and you wash now, you'll go thru the same process. By the time you get them looking good again, it will be time for your appt. anywayz. I say hold off from washing if you can. Save yourself the headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. If anything, just keep using the ORS stuff for the next two weeks.

Chanteuse

I think that washing your hair while you are in braids (or not in braids) is a big part of the growth process. I guess it won't make much of a difference for the braids that you have now since you're about to get them redone. What kind of braids do you have that frizzed up so bad?
I guess I agree with Ebony and Miss Brown about not worrying about washing your hair with this set of braids but I DO think it's important that you wash your hair consistently while you are in braids. You may be hindering your hair growth if you don't.

DDHair

Good that you bring up washing hair in braids. One of my friends has washed her hair several times while in braids, while another one has washed them once (after not having them long, maybe a day or two) and they pretty much fell out of her head. When I have braids, I hardly ever wash my hair, I have used some ORS that was given to me, and it was okay, but it seem to dry the hair out really bad. Anyway, I was told by the friend who washes her braids, that washing and soaking my braids in a conditioner last time, will help for my braids to come out easier, I tried that crap and after doing that about 2 or 3 times and only 2 or 3 braids coming out, but she didn't tell me that her braids that came out this way did not have knots at the end like mine did. Well anyway, my hair ended up getting knotted from lent from all of the buildup, so it broke off on the left side.

Now I have some braids and I have had them for almost a month (on the 21st), and I think I must have either have an excessive amount of growth or my hair is not as tough now that I am growing natural, because my braids are looking a mess and I am so scared to wash, because I know a lot of them will fall out or loosen up more.

I think I have about 3/4 to 1 inch of growth and I have had these braids since October 21st, what should I do guys? Have you all ever been in this situation? I wanted tokeep them until January, but if I keep getting redone every month, seems to kind of defeat the purpose. I don't know, help? (Not to take away from Honey's post).

debyjay

OK, I know this will sound nasty, however -- I got about 5 inches of new growth in 6 months wearing briads 2 months at a time and not washing. I washed only when I took them out. I cleaned them and my scalp with ORS herbal cleanse, sprayed with ORS olive oil and that was pretty much my regimen. I did that coz I remembered my mom's hair growing like crazy during a hospital stay. I did this from January to June of this year.
Now, since joining this site and knowing all that I do now know, it's going to be pretty difficult for me. I am torn between doing what I did that worked in the past and what I have learned here. My hair has never looked better and according to my mom, never been longer since joining this forum. I plan to braid up the first week in January and have until then to make up my mind. I could sure use those 5 more inches though -- hmmm.

sbg4evr

Debyjay, I used to do the same thing. I don't think it is nasty. My hair grow 4-5 inches doing the samething with braids that lasted 3.5 months. I had more growth when I did not wash my braids.

H

HoneyRockette

I broke down and washed my braids only because my daughter told me my head stinks. I left a stocking cap on my braids all night long and even though they still look frizzy, it doesn't look as bad as they did before. I am going to try to see if I can push my appointment up to next week and just a scarf or something on my head until then. I would wear them up but these braids are too short. After hearing Debyjay's story, I kind of wished I had held out but then again it felt good to wash my scalp again. I don't have a fingernail full of white crusty grime when I scratch anymore.