I'm at my wits end with this BREAKAGE!!!

Mskraizy

I've tried everything. I'm having little crescent-shaped breakage pieces coming out on my hands, and if they're not little coily strands it's these really thin and I mean REALLY thin almost see through little straight strands coming out....I don't know where this is coming from.

Can't be the trims: I've trimmed off all of my bad ends and keep them neat and blunt and crisp. (I love juicy ends!)

Can't be the protein, I've done two egg protein treatments and an ORS Hair Mayonnaise treatment in the past two months and it has given my hair a great deal of strength and cut down half of these little broken strands.

CAN'T be the moisture. That's all I DO!

Could it be the manipulation? I feel I'm being as gentle as possible, heck I even tried FINGER DETANGLING. And I still lose a little amount of these broken strands.

The only thing I'm down to is products, but I've been using these products for sooooo long (for like a year now) and I never noticed this before...:perplexed

Granted, it's not a big ol' grandiose amount of breakage but it's enough to make me sit over here and freak out.

What I do notice is that they really start coming out when I detangle (because I detangle while I am apply my deep conditioning so pretty much wet hair), but when my hair is dry....I won't say they're inevitable but very rarely do I ever get a little crescent-shaped piece of breakage come out. Maybe like five from my whole head...if that.

Any ideas?

HanaKuroi

List your products. I am sure that most of the problem.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Mskraizy

If youre getting good results with protein, do more. Stronger and more frequent.

Well, I'll try the hair mayonnaise again, I think my hair really enjoyed that, I just don't want to overload it on so much protein.

List your products. I am sure that most of the problem.

These are all the products I use all the time:

• ORS Replenishing Deep Conditioner (deep conditioner)
  • Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave In Conditioner (leave in)
  • Suave Almond and Shea Butter Shampoo (shampoo)
  • Suave Naturals Conditioner (any of them)
  • Oil Mix (Avocado and Castor Oil)
  • Whipped Shea Butter Mix (shea butter, avocado oil, castor oil, and peppermint oil) OR
  • Avocado Butter (newly becoming favorite)
  • Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter (styler and some moisture)
Annnnd that's pretty much it. If I'm suspect of any products right now it would be garnier sleek and shine or the ors deep conditioner because my hair doesn't act this way with the other products I notice. Since this mostly happens on wash day (And wash day is mostly the only time I will use those two products) I'm very suspect of those two.

Gosh, I'm taking my products to trial. I must really love my hair.. :lachen::lachen:

Amarilles

Products don't really break hair...handling and hair tools do.

If you're only seeing this when you are handling your hair, then it's probably your handling of it. If you were seeing it randomly (on your clothes or around you in general) it could be damage of some sort but it doesn't sound like it is.

How do you handle your hair when washing it? Do you wash loose, in sections? And what are your go-to styles?

This also reminds me of: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/06/tiny-wisps-of-hair-is-kinky-hair-weak.html

HanaKuroi

Amarilles said:

If you're only seeing this when you are handling your hair, then it's probably your handling of it. If you were seeing it randomly (on your clothes or around you in general) it could be damage of some sort but it doesn't sound like it is.

How do you handle your hair when washing it? Do you wash loose, in sections? And what are your go-to styles?

This also reminds me of: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/06/tiny-wisps-of-hair-is-kinky-hair-weak.html

I don't agree with the statement that products don't break hair. Some products dry out the hair or build up on hair causing breakage. Sometimes the combination of products can cause issues too. Sometimes people use too much protein because of hidden proteins in their regimen.

OP, I am going to look at your list and mention some ladies that are excellent at zeroing in on issues caused by products.

Mskraizy

Wow thanks for the site, that was really helpful and informative and that picture is exactly what I've been experiencing.

So is eliminating breakage pretty much inevitable? 98% of it is done, it's just come wash day... I start seeing them. But I'm gonna start being more gentle with my hair and see where that gets me, because I don't see them randomly at all, never do I see them randomly and even when I touch DRY hair it never breaks (unless I'm purposely manhandling it...I've done so to test it's strength and only like one or two pieces come out like I stated before). It's very coily and springy and bouncy like really healthy hair.

But then I go to wash it, not even wash it just detangle it or moisturize it after I wash and I start seeing a bit of those breakage pieces. It's not alot so maybe I shouldn't be that worried about it?.....

myronnie

Mskraizy
What kind of comb do you use? Is it seamless?
Have you ever tried to comb your hair while it was dry/almost dry?

Sometimes manipulating hair while it is wet can cause damage because hair is at a weak state when it is wet.

Mskraizy

I don't agree with the statement that products don't break hair. Some products dry out the hair or build up on hair causing breakage. Sometimes the combination of products can cause issues too. Sometimes people use too much protein because of hidden proteins in their regimen.

OP, I am going to look at your list and mention some ladies that are excellent at zeroing in on issues caused by products.

That's kinda what I think because garnier and ors are really the only products I use that have alot of cones or cones in general or you know...some kind of artificial ingredient. Even my conditioners i rarely ever use because I don't co-wash...like at all. I use my conditioners like once a week (on wash day lol). The main products I use daily are pretty much water and oil and my leave in if need be. I use Camille Rose alot and I pretty much never see these random pieces falling out. Which was starting to make me suspicious.

Right out of the gate OP I agree with you about the ors and the garnier.

Yeah, I thought so too..... :nono: But I really can't afford to go back to buying online products or expensive products again. I'm thinking about just going back to moisturizing with water and sealing with oils and butters again and see how my hair fares. I gotta budget something serious when it comes to haircare right now. :ohwell:

Mskraizy

@Mskraizy
What kind of comb do you use? Is it seamless?
Have you ever tried to comb your hair while it was dry/almost dry?

Sometimes manipulating hair while it is wet can cause damage because hair is at a weak state when it is wet.

I always use my conair shower comb, I'm not really sure if it's seamless.....*checking*...no it's not.

I've been trying out finger detangling lately and I still get them. And I really don't like finger detangling because my roots matt together alot easier so I end up using my comb anyway.

And if it's not that, sometimes I'll use my denman. But I really only use my denman to detangle if I'm planning on trimming.

Bolded, that was exactly what I was thinking too. But then I tried to detangle on fairly damp hair, not soaking and i still got these little bits breaking off.

:fistshake:

HanaKuroi

Cones were the devil for me and not using the right protein. I had little c's too. I thought henna could replace protein. I was wrong.

How do you feel about Shea Moisture products?

Mskraizy

Cones were the devil for me and not using the right protein. I had little c's too. I thought henna could replace protein. I was wrong.

How do you feel about Shea Moisture products?

Shea Moisture is actually really good. I love using their shea butter treatment for a leave in.....you just gave me a great idea. Maybe I SHOULD go back to shea moisture...I don't remember having much breakage with them. And honestly, Camille Rose and Shea Moisture act alot alike in my hair.

Man, I almost forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder! lol I'll have to try them out again, it's been awhile.

And thank you for the thread, I'll be reading all week. lol

SmilingElephant

I always told you you was heavy handed :nono: :peek:

Lol!!!:grin:

You need to find a new DC, sis. That ORS has a streak of protein in it. And doesn't avocado oil have a protein in it as well? I may be wrong tho.:look:

Amarilles

I agree that some products are better at providing moisture than others depending on the head, but how would you know if hers aren't good enough? No one asked her for her hair properties so how could one even begin to judge? In the end, dry hair causes breakage when we handle the hair in that state...handling is always involved.

ETA:
Wow thanks for the site, that was really helpful and informative and that picture is exactly what I've been experiencing.

So is eliminating breakage pretty much inevitable? 98% of it is done, it's just come wash day... I start seeing them. But I'm gonna start being more gentle with my hair and see where that gets me, because I don't see them randomly at all, never do I see them randomly and even when I touch DRY hair it never breaks (unless I'm purposely manhandling it...I've done so to test it's strength and only like one or two pieces come out like I stated before). It's very coily and springy and bouncy like really healthy hair.

But then I go to wash it, not even wash it just detangle it or moisturize it after I wash and I start seeing a bit of those breakage pieces. It's not alot so maybe I shouldn't be that worried about it?.....
I personally think that breakage can only be minimized, not 100% avoidable. Are you retaining length?

Last edited:

myronnie

Oh no Mskraizy I'm so sorry :(
Have you tried switching up your products? Maybe getting a more moisturizing leave in?

Maybe your protein-moisture balance is off? The ORS replenishing contains collagen if I remember correctly and maybe you are actually moisture-deficient. How does your hair feel if you tug at it (overly elastic/not elastic at all)?

mshoneyfly

MzKraizy

How often do you clarify?

I do agree that the silicone products are the likely culprit. They build up over time and block the moisture from infusing into the hair strands. I didn't start to retain length until I cut out the cones and started to chelate/clarify.

Three Garnier products that don't appear to have silicones are:
-3 minute undo dryness reversal treatment
-hydra recharge conditioner
-pure clean conditioner

HanaKuroi

http://www.marieclaire.com/_mobile/hair-beauty/beauty/silicone-detox-for-hair

http://www.greenchicafe.com/free-your-hair-from-silicon

It has been my experience that mechanical damage isn't just at the ends. It is breakage throughout the hair. Hair starts sticking out of braids like Christmas tree branches. This is how the damage showed after months of using the tangle teaser and the modified denman on my hair.

When I had little c's it was from lack of protein.

When others had silicone build up issues the ends were breaking in c's because ends are the driest and oldest part of the hair shaft. The silicone was preventing moisture from penetrating the strands. If you use cones you have to clarify.

OP I don't know your porosity issues but if you had success with other products go back to your staples. Clarify first. Find a decent medium protein and a good dc. Try and find a good moisturizer and sealer.

Monitor your hair closely after making the changes. You can fix this! :)

Eta: I will look up your ingredients in the morning.

Last edited:

Mskraizy

I always told you you was heavy handed :nono: :peek:

Lol!!!:grin:

You need to find a new DC, sis. That ORS has a streak of protein in it. And doesn't avocado oil have a protein in it as well? I may be wrong tho.:look:

Sis....:hardslap:
No but seriously...:hugxplode:

NOOOOOOOOO! Not my ORS!!!:cry: It's too soon! It's too soon!!! lol

Yeah, it probably is. But I'm just too lazy to mix up my own concoction. I know that's where my hair really benefits but....ahh well.

And do NOT touch my avocado oil! That is my SAVIOR OIL!!! :yep:

Mskraizy

I agree that some products are better at providing moisture than others depending on the head, but how would you know if hers aren't good enough? No one asked her for her hair properties so how could one even begin to judge? In the end, dry hair causes breakage when we handle the hair in that state...handling is always involved.

ETA:
I personally think that breakage can only be minimized, not 100% avoidable. Are you retaining length?[/QUOTE]

I think breakage isn't 100% avoidable either, so maybe I shouldn't worry cause I do retain a LOT of length and I mean just looking at it, and even just touching it (when it's dry and sometimes wet) my hair looks really healthy, it maintains great sheen/shine, it's got incredible bounce I mean aside from these small amounts of breakage bits my hair is in a really healthy state.

Mskraizy

Oh no @Mskraizy I'm so sorry :(
Have you tried switching up your products? Maybe getting a more moisturizing leave in?

Maybe your protein-moisture balance is off? The ORS replenishing contains collagen if I remember correctly and maybe you are actually moisture-deficient. How does your hair feel if you tug at it (overly elastic/not elastic at all)?

I haven't tried yet but I'm about to. I think I'm gonna go back to Shea Moisture again, maybe my hair is just sick of the same ol' same ol'...is that even possible? :lol:

I thought I brought my protein levels up a LOT in the past two months, I didn't want to overload it but I guess it could still be a little off because my hair really did suffer some moisture overload last year, and I....I've been fixing my hair alot over the past 8 or so months and I've finally got it back to 98% health, it's just these little bits.

But I did try moisturizing with water only and then sealing it in with my oil mix and I only got 5 shedded strands. No little broken strands! I think you guys are onto something!

Mskraizy

@MzKraizy

How often do you clarify?

I do agree that the silicone products are the likely culprit. They build up over time and block the moisture from infusing into the hair strands. I didn't start to retain length until I cut out the cones and started to chelate/clarify.

Three Garnier products that don't appear to have silicones are:
-3 minute undo dryness reversal treatment
-hydra recharge conditioner
-pure clean conditioner

Ummm, I haven't clarified since.....I went natural. :look:

And if I did, I didn't pay any attention to it. I don't know, Suave gets my hair squeaky clean enough. Would I really have to clarify it?

I think the sleek and shine leave in is a big culprit in my hair. Like I told Myronnie, I did moisturize with only water last night and sealed with my oil mix and didn't get any breakage bits, and I constantly did that "prayer for hair" method on my twists to see if anything would come out and nothing did but a few shedded strands. I think I'm getting pretty close.

Mskraizy

http://www.marieclaire.com/_mobile/hair-beauty/beauty/silicone-detox-for-hair

http://www.greenchicafe.com/free-your-hair-from-silicon

It has been my experience that mechanical damage isn't just at the ends. It is breakage throughout the hair. Hair starts sticking out of braids like Christmas tree branches. This is how the damage showed after months of using the tangle teaser and the modified denman on my hair.

When I had little c's it was from lack of protein.

When others had silicone build up issues the ends were breaking in c's because ends are the driest and oldest part of the hair shaft. The silicone was preventing moisture from penetrating the strands. If you use cones you have to clarify.

OP I don't know your porosity issues but if you had success with other products go back to your staples. Clarify first. Find a decent medium protein and a good dc. Try and find a good moisturizer and sealer.

Monitor your hair closely after making the changes. You can fix this! :)

Eta: I will look up your ingredients in the morning.

Thank you for your help!

My hair is as normal as I can get, I tested it all the time throughout my journey. I have normal strands, normal porosity, normal thickness, etc.

I think what I'm gonna end up having to do is go back to water moisture only (for now) and just test each product one by one. I'm also probably going to end up making my own deep conditioning mixes cause the only other moisturizing conditioners that I know of will cost me (like Giovanni's, Aubrey Organics, even Bee Mine). Sooo yeah. I'll give the avocado thing a shot again. :ohwell:

Maybe my hair doesn't NEED a leave in right now...I will give shea moisture's another try though and keep camille rose naturals in sight as well. :grin:

HanaKuroi

almond eyes said:
Your hair may not like leave in products with glycerin. Check.

Best,
Almond Eyes

You are right. I always forget about glycerin. I can't use it if it is high up. Or if I do it is after I have m/s. I put it on top.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hey! I got a mention! lol thanks Hana! :)

Well, I agree with backing up and trying each product again. My hair is so sensitive, even aloe breaks it. Yes, aloe. Ugh! And surely it must be the tresemme or the ors as stated, but you never know... folks can be sensitive to even the most innocent seeming and natural ingredients.

Not everyone can do leave ins either. Depending on the brand, that is a LOT of chemicals to just leave on the hair for an indefinate amount of time. My hair breaks like crazy with ANY LI. So basically I use water or tea. Water is a fine all natural moisturizer too! Can't go wrong with that.

Hopefully, you can quickly figure it out and minimize damage.

Thank you for your help!

My hair is as normal as I can get, I tested it all the time throughout my journey. I have normal strands, normal porosity, normal thickness, etc.

I think what I'm gonna end up having to do is go back to water moisture only (for now) and just test each product one by one. I'm also probably going to end up making my own deep conditioning mixes cause the only other moisturizing conditioners that I know of will cost me (like Giovanni's, Aubrey Organics, even Bee Mine). Sooo yeah. I'll give the avocado thing a shot again. :ohwell:

Maybe my hair doesn't NEED a leave in right now...I will give shea moisture's another try though and keep camille rose naturals in sight as well. :grin: