I'm beginning to HATE hairstylists.......I'm so upset

jaibee

I\'m beginning to HATE hairstylists.......I\'m so upset

ok as most of you know i am dealing with alopecia areata right now (I have a bald spot in the back of my head, the hair at the nape of my neck is gone). I had been growing out my perm, my doctor told me that I could get a relaxer if I wanted, but I just wanted to grow out my perm anyway. So two weeks ago I went to a stylist and he pressed my hair. It looked so healthy and thick and i got so many compliments on it. He recommended that I need to get my relaxer again because my hair would start breaking, blah, blah, blah, you know, the usual. Me being the punk I am and the trusting person that I am, I said ok. Mind you my hair was about an inch below my shoulder. So on Saturday i went in for my relaxer. His assistant did it. When she asked what style I was getting, I asked for a roller wrap. Then she said, "oh, he doesn't do roller wraps." ???? I had never heard of a stylist not doing roller wraps. Then she said he could curl my hair with some body with the curling iron. I just said ok, cause I was about to sit under the dryer and there's really nothing that I could do about it. So when he gets ready to style my hair I tell him what I want, and he says, "Oh I'll get another stylist to style your hair." And then he puts me in someone elses chair. so you know I'm already uneasy now. Then he says "oh, you need a trim." The female stylist who is going to do my hair now says I will trim it. She was like, when was the last time you had a trim. I just said I don't know. This ***** proceeds to CUT my hair like there is no tomorrow. I had to stop her and say, "I have alopecia and a huge bald spot in the back of my head, don't cut it too short." She then looks at my head and says ok. so this ***** was just cutting without even inspecting my hair. so when she finished, I saw my hair in the mirror, i couldn't tell if she had curled it tight or if she had cut it. everyone in the salon was telling me how cute my hair was. i had a long night Saturday so I feel asleep without wrapping my hair. I wrapped it sunday morning before I got in the shower and got so upset because I discovered that I had a BOB. My hair that was below my shoulder is now about a half inch below my ear. I told my mom about it and she was like "it is just hair, it will grow back, stop whining about it" and yelling at me and everything. I understand that but due to the fact that I have alopecia and am balding, sorry if I'm not able to understand people cutting my hair. Yesterday it was windy and my hair is so short, the wind blew it in a part that exposes my bald spot. I am so sad and I feel like I don't know what to do. People say that I should go back to the salon and complain, but that won't do anything. They can't give me my hair back. Someone said they might give me a free hairdo, but why would I go back to someone who has done something so horrible to my hair? I don't think I'll ever go to a stylist again.

Sorry this is so long, but I am so depressed..........

jainygirl

Re: I\'m beginning to HATE hairstylists.......I\'m so upset

I'm sorry to hear about this jaibee /images/graemlins/kiss.gif I can just tell from your words how sad you are feeling right now. If it's at all possible, i would say that you seriously consider letting the relaxer go. I think you should stay away from heat for now as well.

In the meantime i would get my hair cornrowed weekly(your own hair no weave) and purchase some really cute wigs to wear for everyday. Then you can get your hair shampooed deep conditioned and recornrowed each week. I used to do this routine and wear wigs all the time when i was growing out my hair and i always got compliments. Dont worry about 'what will people think'. Because most everyone will think you look supercute /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

During that time you may want to consider if you just stop using the relaxer all togther and going natural. You would be surprised how many scalp ailments people have that manifest themselves as side effects from how their scalp reacts to relaxing. Anyway, i hope things get better /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. -- jainygirl

jaibee

thanks jainy for the kind words. hmmm the cornrowing thing sounds like an option. and i am going to leave the relaxer alone, I am so mad at myself for going back to it after going three month with no perm. i have to learn how to listn to myself and not to what others think. btw, i like your avatar, your fro looks cute!
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
I'm sorry to hear about this jaibee /images/graemlins/kiss.gif I can just tell from your words how sad you are feeling right now. If it's at all possible, i would say that you seriously consider letting the relaxer go. I think you should stay away from heat for now as well.

In the meantime i would get my hair cornrowed weekly(your own hair no weave) and purchase some really cute wigs to wear for everyday. Then you can get your hair shampooed deep conditioned and recornrowed each week. I used to do this routine and wear wigs all the time when i was growing out my hair and i always got compliments. Dont worry about 'what will people think'. Because most everyone will think you look supercute /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

During that time you may want to consider if you just stop using the relaxer all togther and going natural. You would be surprised how many scalp ailments people have that manifest themselves as side effects from how their scalp reacts to relaxing. Anyway, i hope things get better /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. -- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

GoingBack

I'm so sorry to hear about this Jaibee. I know what it feels like to be a victim of a scissor happy stylist and suffer a major setback. I like jainy's idea of wearing protective styles until your hair grows back out again. Please be encouraged.

ms_kenesha

It hurt me to read this so I know it must be even harder for you. I wouldn't go back to that salon, just try your best to baby your hair. I can't believe how your mom reacted, does she know about your bald spot?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Hi, I'm new to the board. My name is Natrlchallenge. I had a similar incident w/ my stylist. She overprocessed my hair in order to take care of more customers. :-( I have a receding hair line - 6" of hair that broke off after the fact. I too want to leave the stylist and relaxers alone. Stick to your gums and not go back to the salon. They don't deserve another chance to wreck your hair again.

Daughter

UK Blak

Now stylists like that need a beatdown, verbal or otherwise! Whatever happened to CONSULTATION? Cutting your hair against your wishes is unnacceptable, substandard customer service.

You're right, complaining may achieve little but it may prevent someone else being treated as you were. I'd make sure others knew about their lack of care.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get much sympathy, try not to stress too much about this setback. (((jaibee)))

Valerie

Jaibee, can you use Surge on your bald spot? that may help. I am very sorry to hear about your hairstylist.

Carlie

I'm so sorry Jaibee! Hang in there. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts

many of us understand your pain thats why so many here have resorted to self help.
/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Camille

At least you are in the right place girl. I agree with the rest, give your hair a rest and let is heal.

jaibee

yes my mom knows about my bald spot. so you know how horrified i was when I talked to her and she gave me her reaction. my self esteem really did not need that :-(

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
It hurt me to read this so I know it must be even harder for you. I wouldn't go back to that salon, just try your best to baby your hair. I can't believe how your mom reacted, does she know about your bald spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

melodee

I know ow you feel. I too suffer from scalp issues and wish I could do away with having to go to the salons because they aren't gentle with my scalp.
Also, I had a styist give an overzealous trim and was so depressed that I've gotten further away from my goals. But my hair is growing back and I know yours will too.

jaibee

i've tried but i have never stuck with it. I have surge and i have the nioxin treatment. I think i am going to used the nioxin and see how that works.

thanks ladies for all your support, I knew people here would be understanding because no one else seems to be
[ QUOTE ]
Valerie said:
Jaibee, can you use Surge on your bald spot? that may help. I am very sorry to hear about your hairstylist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith

could an admin delete these double posts please? LHCF is acting up..thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dreemssold

/images/graemlins/mad.gif How I loathe a wack stylist! I'm sorry this happened to you, jaibee. ITA with jainy...I think the cornrows are a great idea...they will give you some much-needed away time from stressing about your hair. I hope you feel better /images/graemlins/kiss.gif.

gogo

Jaibee, hang in there...you'll reach your goals eventually. I'm having good success with Nioxin follicle booster (my temple area has always been thin). DH is now calling me "Fuzzy" due to the little halo of short new hairs sticking up around my hairline. Don't beat yourself up too much either. You're not the only one who's made regrettable hair decisions (I was a RIO victim, yikes! ) Fortunately, hair almost always grows back, and often more beautifully & healthy than we ever imagined it could. Consider going 100% natural. That's where I am right now & I'm loving it! Also, the wig idea is a great one. I wore awig (with cornrows underneath) for nearly a year after losing all of my bangs (to RIO!)and was shocked at how quickly my hair "recovered". You'll probably have trouble choosing from all the cute styles that are out now...Cyber hugs to you & peace!

lovelymissyoli

I'm sorry to hear that. Cheer up...the same thing happened to me (I got my hair cut too short) but I've been wearing styles lately that cover up my cut. Your hair will grow back just focus on overall health and the length will come along too!

Isis

Sorry to hear that happened to you. The good thing is that you are here at LHCF and we will all give you all the support and help you need. You'll have the hair results you want in no time.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

Sorry to hear about that Jaibee.....I swore off hair stylists and became determined to do my own hair after having so many bad experiences with them. Maybe you should leave the relaxers alone for a good while. I don't know everything much about the different types of alopecia but my mother did have a similar experience. She'd been in the hospital for about three weeks one year and because her nutrition was poor, her hair started breaking off and balding. Well she didn't relax her hair for about a year when she thought she finally had enough hair to put a relaxer in for my cousin's wedding. Sorry to say she didn't and her bald spots started coming on again. Well that was the last time she permed and that was 4 years ago. Now she has a head full of natural,thick hair that she will press when she wants the straight look. She started eating protein, taking biotin and other Bvitamins and eating a TON of veggies. Now looking at her head you can't tell she had bald spots. I hope you are able to find something that works for you. You know we got yo back!

BTW, I use Nioxin and it is great. I used it steady for about a month and now I use it once a month. My sides are finally starting to fill in after some bad breakage that left some tiny bald spots before I decided to transition.

Nenah

Cheer up your in the right place now /images/graemlins/kissing4.gif these ladies will have you back on the road to healthy natural hair or healthy hair period.