I'm itching to BC. HELP!!!!

tking21

So I've been transitioning for about 13 months now and I'm absolutely itching to BC... I'm actually thinking about doing with in the next 24 ours :rolleyes:.
My question for those who have done a BC is did you do it at home or have it done professionally. If you did do it at home do you regret not getting it done professionally?? What did you think when you first saw your natural hair???? Was length an issue? Just fill me in on absolutely everything. Thanx!:yep:

redecouvert

Congratulations on such a long transition and for committing to it!
I transition a month and a half because i didn't want to fight with the textures..so instead of getting a touch up, i got a cut:lachen:
I started alone, just cutting a tiny bit because for me it was symbolic. All my life, I've been obsessed about long hair so I wanted to do a little bit(about 2%). Then I got it done at the barber.

Many told me that they just did it themselves or ask a friend/family/hubby to do it
When I first saw my natural hair, i almost cried of happiness! As she cut my hair, i felt so FREE!! no more relaxers, treatments, hair breaking constantly...i also felt beautiful. I have a picture in my fotki, the very same day i big chopped..

I did it on friday, of course i had to wash it and man, the feeling of water running through my hair and scalp was p-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s!
I also touched my hair constantly...

anyways, after 13 months of transitioning, you must have a long length!!
don't worry...just go, take a deep breath and discover your natural texture:grin:

rsmith

I bc on 10-10-08. I did it myself. I transitioned just like you for 13 months. I just could not take the the two textures anymore. So, I divided my hair into 4 sections and cut the perm ends off. I did it on damp hair. I have no regrets. I just have to get use to being neck length now. I am not use to having short hair. I have been wearing a afro puff pony. I do feel liberated. Still learning natural hair.

Auburn

I got it done professionally and wished I did it myself. When I saw my hair I was like :smirk: Its FINALLY done! I can wash and go and see my curls! etc. I never had short hair so I felt a little weird but it was all for a good cause so I was like whatever. Gone head and do it! :poke:

ETA: I wore a head wrap ever since. Now I have good reason! Its getting cold.

tking21

So i was already to go... I was in the car with my SO ready to go to Whole Foods pick up some benoite clay for after the chop. All the while my friends are calling me telling me not to do it my SO is telling me to sleep on it. I get to CVS to purchase hair scissors and decide to sleep on just to put everyone's mind to rest. Now I'm starting to regret the fact that I stopped at the door to put everyone else's mind to rest when the whole BD thing is ALL ABOUT ME. No one else has to walk around with my hair so why does it matter. Please believe that I will sleep on it just because my sweety pleaded with me to, but tomorrow it's on... or should i say off lol.

rsmith

only do it for you. You have to be prepared mentality. You have to ask yourself, are you able to handle people's comments about your hair. They kept asking me all the time. Why did you cut all your hair off. I was like it will grow back. I think sleeping on it will be a good thing. Only do it if you are ready to do it.

Auburn

Other people's comments? People will talk regardless. Your friends will still be your friends if they ARE your friends.

When I hit a dilemma, I weigh out the pro's and cons. Goodluck with whatever you decide! :smirk:

drjo91

I am thinking of doing the BC as well. THe only thing that is holding me back is that because i got a weave on july, i relaxed my edges and the front part so it doesn't have as much new growth. I have new growth all over my hair, like 3 to 4 inches long but how would i look if i BC and then have the edges and the front with a little bit of NG?...i seriously can't take dealing with relax and natural hair. Also, my relax ends are breaking off.

Last edited:

hopeful

My question for those who have done a BC is did you do it at home or have it done professionally.
I did mine at home.

If you did do it at home do you regret not getting it done professionally??
Nope, I liked being in control.

What did you think when you first saw your natural hair????
I bc'd twice, the first time was January 2005, the second time was March 2006. The first time I felt beautiful, the second time I was in shock and did not feel pretty at all, idk why.

Was length an issue?
Yes. In a way it's nice because it's so simple and easy to deal with but on the other hand you want length. After 13 months though you should have a nice bit of hair.

Just fill me in on absolutely everything.
Don't do it until you are ready because once it's done, it's done. Good luck!

Thanx!:yep:

BrownEyez22

Congrats for transitioning so long!!!

My question for those who have done a BC is did you do it at home or have it done professionally. I did mine at home

If you did do it at home do you regret not getting it done professionally??
No, I didn't regret it. I wanted to do it myself. I knew I would be pissed if a professional messed me up. Plus I only transitioned for 5 months, so if someone cut some of my progress by accident I was gonna be soo hot!

What did you think when you first saw your natural hair?
Wow is this is me? Did I just do this, I look cute...lol

Was length an issue?
I wished I could've transitioned longer, but my hair was short to begin with. You won't have that problem. You should have quite a few styling options for the length you probably have.

Whatever you decide good luck and post pics:grin:

C.Nicole

Yea, I'm getting mine done on Friday ( My b-day) and noone sees to understand... I just wish I could talk to somebody who understands. I have seriously been hurt over the last 2 weeks with my ending breaking excessively and the condition of y permed hair.. I' just over it. I've been a 'Barbie Doll' all my life and I feel like a part of that will leave when I shed the tresses... I just hope I dont cry in the chair.. but I know its the best thing

tking21

Girl yes... I've been the barbie doll with the long hair for my most of my teenage years (16-19* present). Tonight I just realized that my relaxed has been my crutch and it's just time to let it go. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BC :grin:

SouthernTease

I did it myself and I don't regret not going to a professional...
I don't trust them... but I do wish I would have just cut the
back and waited for the front to catch up a bit before I BC'D
because now the front is so short compared to the back...
and the back keeps getting longer and longer... the front is
taking for ever and it's kind of hard to wear buns when the top
is so short... but its getting there

lilsparkle825

i did it after transitioning for 12 months, and it was on a whim...got my mama and some scissors and went for it. all those length goals kinda went out the window when i realized how much i wanted to wear WNGs (mind you this was june). DO IT DO IT DO IT...you're overthinking it!

cottoncoily

My question for those who have done a BC is did you do it at home or have it done professionally?
I transitioned for 6 months & I got my done professionally. It came out really good. Before she cut it she asked if I wanted it shaped up so it could be more even, but I told her no because I wanted to keep my progress and she did just that. No bad experience here

What did you think when you first saw your natural hair????
I looovvveeeddd it! I didn't think my texture would look like this because as new growth it looked very deceiving

Was length an issue?
Even though I never had short hair in my life length wasn't an issue. The short cut fit my face very well and the big earrings I wear helped with the look. I got more compliments on it being short than I did when it was long

kriolagirl

I BC'd in Sept of this year after transitioning for 16 months. I did the initial cut myself with damp hair and then had a friend do a clean up trim. A few days after I lightly straightened out my hair w/ my chi and had another friend trim a little more. I'm glad I waited as long as I did because even though it is shorter than when I started I still have a head full of hair.

I've been where you are...just cut it! lol :) seriously though, wait til you're ready.