Im new here and to growing my hair...please HELP!!!

Fabulous1

So here is the story ladies. I am currently deployed to Kuwait and I have to use bottled water for my hair because I refuse to use the faucet water here lol. I dont understand any of the acronyms that you all use so is there any place on here that tells you what they mean? My hair type is 4a and breaking because the last time i used a relaxer was 8 weeks ago and my new growth is definitely showing. I wash it 1x week and use Carols Daughter products (shampoo, hair smoothie to condition, and leave in conditioner) then I air dry. After drying Ill press it then apply Carols Daughter healthy hair butter to the ends and all over. Thats it. I work out a lot but i tend to just let it dry and wait until friday again to wash. I think the only reason i dont rinse after working out is because I air dry and it becomes REALLY difficult to comb through. I am in desperate need of any advice on where I should start. Anything would help...Thank you!!

wyldcurlz

check out this thread, its got a lot of great info. my favorites are the newcomers guide to starting out & you'll see the very last one explains the acronyms we use here on LHCF. read back thru the posts if you have time. there is so much great information - there's also great info in people's fotki albums.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441

best of luck with your hair care.

luckiestdestiny

So here is the story ladies. I am currently deployed to Kuwait and I have to use bottled water for my hair because I refuse to use the faucet water here lol. I dont understand any of the acronyms that you all use so is there any place on here that tells you what they mean? My hair type is 4a and breaking because the last time i used a relaxer was 8 weeks ago and my new growth is definitely showing. I wash it 1x week and use Carols Daughter products (shampoo, hair smoothie to condition, and leave in conditioner) then I air dry. After drying Ill press it then apply Carols Daughter healthy hair butter to the ends and all over. Thats it. I work out a lot but i tend to just let it dry and wait until friday again to wash. I think the only reason i dont rinse after working out is because I air dry and it becomes REALLY difficult to comb through. I am in desperate need of any advice on where I should start. Anything would help...Thank you!!

My brother is in the army. He's been to Iraq 2 times, and they're actually trying to send him back again in Dec. I commend you and thank you for serving our Country (even if I'm not so happy about Bush but that's another story:rolleyes:). Second, I went to visit (not Iraq, he's back in the U.S) and one of his friend's was a female and she was asking me about my hair. She was complaining about the arid heat when she was in Iraq and how harsh everything was on her hair over there. Now I realize it's another country, but I'm assuming the terrain is the same. You need a simple hair style. the simpler the better. I'm natural. My avatar is pressed, so believe me I love pressed hair. I think you need a simple style...lots of times I put my hair in braids. What about that? Braids, and some coconut oil (which hydrates and seals) and some shea butters (which I'm assuming may be available in your area). That way, you can have low manipulation for a while. Just keep braiding it back up. Would that work? I'm trying to think of an effective low manipulation style that you can maintain while you are in that arid, heat. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Amerie123

navy, army, af, or marines? I'm navy and was also suppose to be going to Kuwait last year . But things changed.

drasgrl

Welcome. If you ware working out a lot and sweating you need to wash your hair more than once a week. That is contributing to more breakage. Have you tried co washing (washing with no shampoo just conditioner)? Don't wait until your hair is completely dry to comb it. Detangle it when it's wet and it will be much easier. Have you tried not using heat every week? I know it's a hard habit to break but it can be done. How are you wearing your hair after you press it?

msa

The ladies already pointed you in the right direction, I just wanted to say welcome!

Happy Hair Growing!

Fabulous1

Yes luckiestdestiny, i am actually going to try the Crown and Glory technique as soon as my mothers package of hair and other products get here. Girl everything takes a week or longer to arrive here. Thank you so much for the advice!

Fabulous1

My brother is in the army. He's been to Iraq 2 times, and they're actually trying to send him back again in Dec. I commend you and thank you for serving our Country (even if I'm not so happy about Bush but that's another story:rolleyes:). Second, I went to visit (not Iraq, he's back in the U.S) and one of his friend's was a female and she was asking me about my hair. She was complaining about the arid heat when she was in Iraq and how harsh everything was on her hair over there. Now I realize it's another country, but I'm assuming the terrain is the same. You need a simple hair style. the simpler the better. I'm natural. My avatar is pressed, so believe me I love pressed hair. I think you need a simple style...lots of times I put my hair in braids. What about that? Braids, and some coconut oil (which hydrates and seals) and some shea butters (which I'm assuming may be available in your area). That way, you can have low manipulation for a while. Just keep braiding it back up. Would that work? I'm trying to think of an effective low manipulation style that you can maintain while you are in that arid, heat. Hope that helps.

Yes I am actually about to try the Crown and Glory technique this week so im excited to see how much new growth i get. I also ordered the vitamins off of that site. Thank you sooo much for the advice!!

Fabulous1

Welcome. If you ware working out a lot and sweating you need to wash your hair more than once a week. That is contributing to more breakage. Have you tried co washing (washing with no shampoo just conditioner)? Don't wait until your hair is completely dry to comb it. Detangle it when it's wet and it will be much easier. Have you tried not using heat every week? I know it's a hard habit to break but it can be done. How are you wearing your hair after you press it?

Yea it is hard not using heat because it just looks unkept. I am going to try braiding it though. After I press it i pull it back in a couple bobby pins. Its only a little past my ears so theres not much i can do about it. Thank you for your tips though!!

danigurl18

Welcome to the board!!! My bf was in Iraq 3x and Afghanastan once so I can kinda relate... I would go with the other ladies and get braids, cornrows or twists... the C&G method really does grow your hair and keeps it protected!! HHG!!!

joib

Welcome mizchari, I think the crown and Glory Tech. is perfect. What products will your mom send to you. The best advice I can give you is don't forget to use the leave-in cond. (Infusium 23) after every wash and don't forget to moisturize those braids. Take care

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I'm an Airforce brat myself, so I say welcome to you, and happy hairgrowing! Thanks for doing what you do over there, and come home safe, k?

My

luckiestdestiny

Yes luckiestdestiny, i am actually going to try the Crown and Glory technique as soon as my mothers package of hair and other products get here. Girl everything takes a week or longer to arrive here. Thank you so much for the advice!
You're welcome. I think that's the best option so that you can minimize breakage, and keep your hair moisturized!

toniy

I did the desert Jan - May 08 and my hair grew with no breakage. These are the things I did:

1. I cowashed all of that flying sand out almost daily. Many of the other women had braids with dirt caked in. Sandstorms are no joke.

2. Alternated between protein (mnt) and moisture products (B&B).

3. After EVERY wash I sealed (castor oil).

4. Kept up with my vitamins,scalp massages and jojoba'd/mn'ed my scalp.

I kept it simple. Ponytails/bun everyday, wash very often and never used heat. It was hot enough and I sweated a lot.

I got the crazy look when people would see my hair wet every night (CW) after work. My hair is also very fine/thin - so what worked for me, may not work for others...

Good luck OP and stay safe...

The Princess

I just left from over there almost 3 weeks ago, and the water is alot better from the first 3 times I was over there. The bottle water is not go cut it, cause you will not be able to get all the residue out your hair cause of not having a steady pressure. I gain alot of growth, while being there. Also Kuwait is alot better built than where I was at. Just keep your hair moisurize and ends wrapped up. You can go to my profile and see pics I have with my hair bun.

Also to add, I never wore my hair in braids, just a bun. So you can do it. You will be good. PM if you need anything.

Fabulous1

I did the desert Jan - May 08 and my hair grew with no breakage. These are the things I did:

1. I cowashed all of that flying sand out almost daily. Many of the other women had braids with dirt caked in. Sandstorms are no joke.

2. Alternated between protein (mnt) and moisture products (B&B).

3. After EVERY wash I sealed (castor oil).

4. Kept up with my vitamins,scalp massages and jojoba'd/mn'ed my scalp.

I kept it simple. Ponytails/bun everyday, wash very often and never used heat. It was hot enough and I sweated a lot.

I got the crazy look when people would see my hair wet every night (CW) after work. My hair is also very fine/thin - so what worked for me, may not work for others...

Good luck OP and stay safe...

Thank you girl. Im trying to get a hair care regimen. Did you workout a lot?