I'm not going to make it

A couple of months ago, I believed in terminal length ( the longest your hair will grow ), until recently when I realized how close I am to BSL. But you know what, my hair looks awful ( to me ). It's thin and light. I'm considering cutting my hair to an inch or two past my shoulders. I think it will look much better. what do you guys think ?

taz007

I cut my thin ends off (see siggy) and I am so happy that I did as my hair grew in thicker.

Do you have pics?

WyrdWay

not all of the hair on your head will necessarily grow at the same rate/cycle so some of the thinness at the ends could just be some of your hair that grows faster than the rest. If you really want to cut back that far GO FOR IT. But you could always trim a little off the ends every couple of months or so to see if the rest will start catching up. ^_^
Make what ever decision will make you happy! Its your hair :D

charmtreese

Yeah, I believe in cutting ends to get rid of raggedy damage. I have cut in the past to rid myself from damaged ends. But I naturally have fine hair with a medium/low density therefore my hair is never going to be thick. As my hair grows the bottom layers appear see through until the rest of the hair catches up.

Could this be the same for you? If so I would only trim lightly and wait for the rest of your hair to get to bsl.

Nonie

I believe in regular dusting if your ends are to look good. The ends are the oldest part of your hair and endure wear and tear over time so it's very unlikely that the ends will look good if you hold onto them forever. Even Wanakee who protective styled 24/7 (or should I say most of the time) did dust her ends regularly to keep her hair looking full and thick. So yes, if I were you, I'd get rid of those ends. And then I'd dust regularly so that I don't have to make such a huge trim in future again.

Dusting involves cutting off 1/4 inch every 6-8 weeks. Those of you that clutch your pearls and gasp at that suggestion probably do not realize that 1/4 inch is only this long __ . That's all you're cutting off every 6-8 weeks.

If your hair is growing 1/2 an inch every month. In 8 weeks, if you trim 1/4 inch then you still get to keep this much ______ instead of this much ________. Not much of a difference, is it? Esp if it's what it takes to stop you from chopping off a whole lot later. Prevention is better than cure IMO.

Last edited:

shunemite

I say dust a little while the rest of the hair catches up. Health of your hair will lead to the wealth of hair.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I cut my thin ends off (see siggy) and I am so happy that I did as my hair grew in thicker.

Do you have pics?

I did too. I could've been on my way to BSL by now but I had to cut those thin ends. I didn't want to be APL just in the back and SL in the front. Now when I make my hair goals I'll be full length instead of partial. See through hair doesn't look healthy no matter what length you are.

I say "snip snip"! It'll grow back much thicker and you'll be much happier. Where are the pics?

Eritreladiee

*gasp....NOOOOOO!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Nah, i'm kidding. If you wanna grow out your hair I'd say just trim a lil bit, just so it's bearable. That's whats what i think, but it's on u tho.

Taina

You will feel better when you cut it, you will wait more to reach tour goal, but you're hair will be nice and pretty

sqzbly1908

OP - I am going through the same thing and have opted to go ahead and cut my hair. I call myself going to a reputable stylist back in October and my hair has not been right since...

I have been stressing about this as well and have opted to go ahead get a blunt cut that will bring me to a little SL (based on my calculations) (sighs)

pcRN

IMHO, if you don't wear your hair out alot, and it's not damaged I wouldn't cut it yet. My ends are thin, but not damaged and split, and I plan on getting a good cut when I reach MBL.

PPGbubbles

YIKES! dont cut yet! Maybe do a 1 or 2 inch trim and then find a PS that works for you (buns, braids, weaves, etc)

You may regret a drastic cut in the long run. If your hair is healthy but thin just leave it alone for a while...I mean...if it aint broke dont fix it.