I'm scared

jodydreams

I have streched my relaxer for 6 months now (using braids and a weave) and I am scared to death of getting a perm now because I might get breakage. I called the only women I know who seems to know what she is doing when handling someone's hair. she tells me it was dumb for me to go so long without a perm. i was like :eek: excuse me??? i know i did the right thing she just doesnt know what she is talking about. right?? :(. i have no idea how long my hair is gonna be or how short it might become from breakage. and this woman is scissor happy. i have no choice but to go to her....my hair came out nice every she did it (but once). i think im gonna have her perm it but I WILL cut my ends!! shooo :grin: . if anybodys gonna mess my growth up with a bad cut its gonna be me!

also, is it too quick for me to get a perm the same day i take the weave out? i have an interview on monday and this weave is lookin a hot mess...

after its done ill start my album and post some pics!!!! yay!!:)

MomofThreeBoys

Why do you feel like you have no choice? There are a ton of women from NY on this board who could give a recommendation for a good stylist! Don't take the easy route with your hair. Find a stylist who doesn't insult her clients!

You should wait at least 3 or 4 days before relaxing after taking out your weave. I would wash and deep condition with a conditioner with a lot of slip. You will have some major detangling to do. Either do a braidout out/twist out or bun it for the next few days.

Best wishes...

Shatani

natalied said:
Why do you feel like you have no choice? There are a ton of women from NY on this board who could give a recommendation for a good stylist! Don't take the easy route with your hair. Find a stylist who doesn't insult her clients!

You should wait at least 3 or 4 days before relaxing after taking out your weave. I would wash and deep condition with a conditioner with a lot of slip. You will have some major detangling to do. Either do a braidout out/twist out or bun it for the next few days.

Best wishes...
everything she said! :D

OneInAMillion

I agree with Natalied on this one, I wouldn't go to that woman. Check the reviews for hairdressers in the city. I only get my hair blowdried in NY, but the woman who does my relaxers is in jersey. She advocates streching and only relaxes new growth. If you can make it out there and want her info, PM me.

About stretching in general, I've always gone a minimum of three months without problem. It's when I went too soon that I experienced breakage, but then again, everyone's hair is different. Have you ever stretched this long before?

Neroli

jodydreams said:
I have streched my relaxer for 6 months now (using braids and a weave) and I am scared to death of getting a perm now because I might get breakage. I called the only women I know who seems to know what she is doing when handling someone's hair. she tells me it was dumb for me to go so long without a perm. i was like :eek: excuse me??? i know i did the right thing she just doesnt know what she is talking about. right?? :(. i have no idea how long my hair is gonna be or how short it might become from breakage. and this woman is scissor happy. i have no choice but to go to her....my hair came out nice every she did it (but once). i think im gonna have her perm it but I WILL cut my ends!! shooo :grin: . if anybodys gonna mess my growth up with a bad cut its gonna be me!

also, is it too quick for me to get a perm the same day i take the weave out? i have an interview on monday and this weave is lookin a hot mess...

after its done ill start my album and post some pics!!!! yay!!:)

I'm 4b and kept braids the entire first 2 years of law school -- never relaxed -- just wash condition and rebraid every 6-8 weeks or so. When I finally relaxed, my hair was couple of inches below bra strap (something I NEVER thought could happen to me!) Anywho, that was before LHCF and I lost all those inches in about 2 years what with excessive heat and touchups every 6 weeks and all the other abusive habits back in the day . . . So to answer your question, I don't think there's anything wrong with going that long without relaxing so long as you take care of the two textures and braids are the ultimate protective style if you take proper care of them.

Regarding relaxing the same day, I wouldn't do it (altough others might without problems). I get optimum results if I wait at least 4 days, preferably longer, between take down and perm because I can do a good hard protein like nexxus emergencee followed by deep moisturinzing conditioner and then figure out a way to wear those two textures for a week or so (usually in a bun or pony or in one large braid going back, somethin protective) and THEN touchup -- hair is simply gorgeous every time.

balisi

I totally agree that you should wait at least a few days to relax after your weave removal. At least one deep conditioning is crucial. ;)

jodydreams

thanks ladies!!!!! :)

I feel so much better now after hearing all your advice! So this is what I will do: wait until Monday evening to take the hair out, wash and deep condition using the best products that are suggested here, do a braid out for the rest of the week (oiling the ends daily) and then get it permed by SOMEBODY ELSE on Saterday ;)

thanks a bunch girls!!! :)

jodydreams

OneInAMillion: this is my first time streching this long. I started the year off with advice from LHCF. my hair story (in brief): after high school, braids and phony ponys were my thing. never had my natural hair out for longer than 2 months. the last time i had braids, (pre-LHCF) I took them out and had a perm the same day (i know, im a fool :ohwell: ) and my hair was shorter than it was pre-braids. my hair ended up being a lil' below my ear and i waited a few days (less than a week..i know, i know, another dumb move) and braided my hair. my hair has been braided twice and weaved once ever since then (January '05). i want a perm now because my hair is soooo thick and i feel like every time get a protective style put in, it almost hurts when they part it. yea, my hair is really thick.

But, maybe I should just hold off on the perm until the end of the summer? I dont know :confused: I'm so indecisive.

Last edited:

TrustMeLove

Girl 6 months..you on your way to natural. Hold off is my advice to the end of summer. But if you decide to get it done now.

I wouldn't wash after taking out my weave or braids..Thats major tangles. I would go to someone who knows what they are doing and let them relax it a day after I take out my weave/braids. I just know no matter what products I use im always going to get tangles (which lead to me ripping out my hair) and I would rather take out the braids get the gunk out and then go get it relaxed.

-Trust