I'M TIRED OF HAIR HORROR STORIES=TIPS

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I don't want to hear anymore "Hair Horror" stories ..It really pisses me off how some stylist treat our hair...So, I'm composing a "TIPS" list for ladies who will continue to see stylist in 2007..Please add your "TIPS" or advice as well..
I really want LHCF Ladies to be empowered in 2007!

Here are my tips:
*Base your own head before you go for chemical services
*Watch stylist like a hawk while they're cutting "YOUR" hair
*Bring your own wide-tooth comb and INSIST they use it, DO NOT
let them use a rattail comb
*Be firm when telling them you're not ready for a relaxer
*Don't allow them to pull relaxer thru previously relaxed hair
*Possibly bring your own higher quality products
and last but not least
*Walk out if it doesn't feel right

HoneyDew

sherylin123 said:
I don't want to hear anymore "Hair Horror" stories ..It really pisses me off how some stylist treat our hair...So, I'm composing a "TIPS" list for ladies who will continue to see stylist in 2007..Please add your "TIPS" or advice as well..

Here are my tips:
and last but not least

Good idea.

Also, I think it is good to show your stylists that you take pride in your hair. I've had stylists say things in a negative way about the thickness or coarseness of my hair. Saying," I like my hair the way it is" and having pride in it takes away the Salon God complex that some of them can have.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Thanks HD..Bumping for more responses..I know you're out there with good & bad experiences..add some TIPS

FlyyGyrl

Bring a handheld mirror in your purse. That way if they try any funny stuff you can still see what they are doing.

OneInAMillion

I like this thread! I'll probably continue to see haidressers, even though I can do many of the things here on my own. I DO believe there are professionals out there who LIKE doing hair and want you to have HEALTHY hair, you just have to find them. I'm thankful to have three stylists that I love, who care about the health of my hair. Here's what I did to find them:

*Get to know your hairdressers! I was spoiled in that I had the same hairdresser for 18 yrs (yes, since I was six!). But, when I moved, I had to search for someone who had experience, understood my texture, and how to keep my hair healthy. Get recommendations, don't go to anyone last minute (usually ends in disaster), and see if you like the work these ppl do. Also, my hairdressers usually become more like family...think of it like seeing a healthcare provider ;) . I know that's a bit extreme, but you want to get personal service from friendly, trustworthy ppl.

*Let them know your hair goals: When I would meet new stylists, I would tell them that I wanted long hair--don't be ashamed. I also tell them that I stretch relaxers because I have fine hair & that my hair breaks down very easily. This was actually something I learned to do from a stylist! But you have to speak up about these things.

*If getting a chemical service: Don't go to someone the 1st time for a chemical service (color, relaxer). Go for a wash and set. Watch how they mangage other clients. Let them get to know your head, the texture, how your hair responds to different conditioners, etc.

All in all, find someone that you are comfortable enough with. I like people that make me feel comfortable, treat other customers with respect, etc. If I notice anything negative, I KNOW it can only mean the worst when it comes to my hair.

Just my two cents :D

Sky

JLove74 said:
if you don't like what's being done to your hair - SPEAK UP, right then and there.

I agree. It all starts with communication. If you communicate openly and honestly with your stylist you wont need a "game plan". I brought a picture of my hair length goal into the shop and told my stylist " This is what I want. My goal is to have healthy hair at this length by this time. I want you to help me to acheive this goal and I believe in your ability to do so." Serioulsly this is the conversation I had with her. The last time I went to the shop and I felt she kept my perm in too long -I told her right then and there to rinse it out at that moment ( she of course was trying to make sure my hair was done "right") so she did rinse it out. When I got home I noticed the nape of my neck was a little red - I called her and told her and added that I was concerned about the length of time she left my perm in; she apologized and we discussed how we would proceed at my next visit - I am just very upfront - not rude, but not timid.

I understand that everyone will make mistakes or whatever and that your stylist is not a mind reader but my stylist is very responsive to my needs and to me that is the biggest tip out there. Keep going to a reputable sytlist until you find someone who will LISTEN and help you achieve your goals.

sareca

Grease your previously relaxed hair so even if they sneak and pull the relaxer through it won't damage your hair.

Also, watch the other stylists in the room. I went in for a rollerset and I saw another stylist ask how much length they could cut, then cut a sample, and hand it to the customer asking if that was too much before proceeding. :huh: How hard is that for ALL of them to do?

On my way out I asked her name and scheduled my next appointment with her.

darkflame213

Consultations are good things.=
*Make your consultation interactive. Let her touch your hair. Touch hers.
*Look closely at the stylist’s “look book” Sometimes you do better with the style she was ‘messing around with’ than her ‘award-winning’ style.
*Be sure that you understand the extent of the maintenance on the style you want.
*Get samples (or at least the names) of the products she intends to use. Look the products up online and ask the LHCF about them. We are PJs and have tried everything.
*Be truthful about you routine and lifestyle.

ChasingBliss

JLove74 said:
if you don't like what's being done to your hair - SPEAK UP, right then and there.

Preach!

I dont go to stylists anymore but my daug
hter does from time to time. And I tell her all the time. Speak up, I cannot keep talking for you. I'm not always going to be there with you.

Great tips Sherylin!

Growinpainz

well, as far as trims are concerned, if you don't want one let them know as soon as you sit down. Don't wait for them to ask you if you want one b/c they won't ask, they'll just assume and cut.....well some do that.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Thanks for all the responses ladies....the funny thing is I don't see stylist anymore, but for ladies that do, I really don't want them to suffer.

isioma85

Great thread. :up:

Let him/her know what you DO NOT WANT done before they touch your hair at all. Once you sit in the chair, if you can make eye contact via the mirror or swivel around and do a face to face if you must :grin:. When I went to get a blowout, once I sat down I looked the lady in the eye and told her I didn't want a relaxer or any grief about getting one (I was stretching) and I didn't want any trim at all. She nodded, and once she touched my hair I could see she was ready to ask me to get a perm, but because I had told her beforehand, she didn't.

Bring up the stylist's contradictions, so they know you're not just a mute head of hair. I think it was zzirvingj that posted about her press and how her stylist said her hair wasn't getting any longer, but then at payment proceeded to increase the price because 'her hair was getting too full and long' :huh: I've had the same experience, she said my hair was breaking (it was accumulated shedding), but then 20 minutes later is fawning about how strong and resistant to breakage it is. I told her plainly (and with a smile) it was because I took good care of my hair at home.

If she's doing something you don't like, SPEAK UP WHEN YOU'RE IN THE CHAIR. Don't assume it might not be as bad as you think, because it usually is. You didn't do all that work to grow it for someone to just take away three months of work with one snip. YOU ARE PAYING, you're a customer, and the customer is always right. Say something.

LocksOfLuV

sherylin123 said:

Here are my tips:
and last but not least

Hawlaluahhhhhh!!! This thread is a goodsend. What trips me even more is that people sit there and take it.:look:

My tips:

Try and self relax, instead of paying someone 60-100 bucks to burn your scalp off, you can atleast burn your own darn scalp off FOR FREE!!

Add product to your previously relaxed hair is you know your stylist is a "overlapper" better be safe than sorry.

And last but def. not least, grow a back bone. Who gives a rat's nest if your stylists feelings will be hurt or you don't want to seem pushy. I would rather have a grown woman/man's feelings be hurt then walking around with scalp scabs and bad/breaking hair.

I am not trying to be rude, but I do not feel sorry for any stylists, but i do feel sorry for the women who come on here on the verdge of tears. I do not think it is fair and it is time to fight back and no one ever said it is pretty!

LocksOfLuV

darkflame213 said:
Consultations are good things.=
*Make your consultation interactive. Let her touch your hair. Touch hers.
*Look closely at the stylist’s “look book” Sometimes you do better with the style she was ‘messing around with’ than her ‘award-winning’ style.
*Be sure that you understand the extent of the maintenance on the style you want.
*Get samples (or at least the names) of the products she intends to use. Look the products up online and ask the LHCF about them. We are PJs and have tried everything.
*Be truthful about you routine and lifestyle.

okay, there is always someone who tried SOMETHING on lhfc, don't believe me? try us lol!

NoNapNique

sareca said:
Grease your previously relaxed hair so even if they sneak and pull the relaxer through it won't damage your hair.

Also, watch the other stylists in the room. I went in for a rollerset and I saw another stylist ask how much length they could cut, then cut a sample, and hand it to the customer asking if that was too much before proceeding. :huh: How hard is that for ALL of them to do?

On my way out I asked her name and scheduled my next appointment with her.

Even better... clip sample amount from a weave track (without blunt ends), take a wide piece of clear packing tape, put two ends together with clipped hair in it... then hand it to her saying, "This is all I want trimmed. Please use this as a guide". That way she ain't clippin' no "samples" off ya ends. What if she clipped too much at first? Then she has to clip it ALL that length, and I would hafta slap her and run when my appointment was over :mad:

chiprecious

DANG YA'LL SOME ROUGH SISTAS!!!
Ok, I'm an at home stylist, but can't self relax my 4z hair so I go to a stylist. Overall 80% SUCK!!!

1. Question them on every single thing they do.
2. Let them know you know YOUR hair and that what works for others does not work for you.
3. Do not allow them to detangle with that small comb.
4. Eye contact when being stern is a must (like with your kids):lol:
5. Don't let them do something to your hair you wouldnt do yourself or you'd be ashamed to come back and tell the LCHF ladies!
6. Never let them "trim" with your back to the mirror.
7. "fake burn" to make them wash the relaxer out ;)

shunta

LocksOfLuV said:
Hawlaluahhhhhh!!! This thread is a goodsend. What trips me even more is that people sit there and take it.:look:

My tips:

Try and self relax, instead of paying someone 60-100 bucks to burn your scalp off, you can atleast burn your own darn scalp off FOR FREE!!

Add product to your previously relaxed hair is you know your stylist is a "overlapper" better be safe than sorry.

And last but def. not least, grow a back bone. Who gives a rat's nest if your stylists feelings will be hurt or you don't want to seem pushy. I would rather have a grown woman/man's feelings be hurt then walking around with scalp scabs and bad/breaking hair.

I am not trying to be rude, but I do not feel sorry for any stylists, but i do feel sorry for the women who come on here on the verdge of tears. I do not think it is fair and it is time to fight back and no one ever said it is pretty!
Preach sista!!:lol:

Lovin the thread!! Great Idea!

I let them know that I am a hair fanatic from JUMP and explain how I detailed I am about my hair care. Then I let them know all of the horror stories that "other stylists have done" that has caused me to be such a fanatic.

This gives me an opportuinty to voice all of your ladies experiences and not make them feel so bad. I follow up with "Can you beleive that?"

It makes them think twice of making the same error that other stylists have made.

toniy

great thread. As old as I am, I have been guilty of holding tongue and burning just so I could go home looking nice. Too lazy to do my own hair. BOOO. Never again. Good advice...

LaNecia

I don't have any advice because I don't go to a stylist for ANYTHING but I think this a great thread!!

brazenxvirtue

1. Check out their clients! Before I went to Clara in L.A. (my hair goddess) I based my decision to trust her mainly on the gorgeous heads of hair I knew used her regularly. One in particular credited Clara with reaching waistlength hair. That tipped me off.

2. Find out what products they use or bring your own if you're not comfortable. Once I got an emergency rollerset from a woman I'd heard a little about. She was fine, but the wash girl decided to shampoo my hair three times! I wasn't *that* dirty. But I sure I'm glad I brought CON. Who knows what kind of sulfate damage I could have had.

3. If you get a trim/cut, make sure they show you in the mirror how much they're cutting. You may say 1 inch where they see 2. Most people worth their salt will volunteer to show you anyway.

4. Whatever it is you don't like or is making you uncomfortable, speak up. I know that's hard because I'm shy, but it's certainly better than a 6 month set back with your hair. And if their shallow enough to really take offense, you probably don't want to go to them anyway.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I love this thread.... hopefully my lil two cents will help...

1. PAY ATTENTION TO THE LITTLE VOICE IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND!!!!!! If the stylist says something like, "Ohhhhhhhh your hair is longer than mine!", or "I can't wait to get my hands in this that mess'', or "Girrrrrrrrrl you need a TRIM"......... Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Get up and walk out. When you're uncomfortable (and that little voice speaks to you) listen to yourself. It's time to go.

2. Don't just grease your hair and scalp. Put a little on your forehead, behind, and around the tops of your ears. Especially if you've scratched or have sensitive skin. Yeah you might look a lil greasy but your scab-free skin will thank you.

3. If you don't trust the stylist, take a mini-timer or stop watch so you can keep up with how long the relaxer's been on. Don't wait for it to burn to get his/her attention.

4. Don't be afraid to take your oils up in the salon to be mixed with the conditioners (hell bring your own as one of the ladies stated in a previous post!) Don't be ashamed to take your own products. Nobody knows your hair like you do. If it needs oil.... use oil!

5. Pay attention to everything! From attitudes to hygiene practices to health of the client's hair. Observation is the key to learning the truth.

6. Speak your peace. You don't have to be rude to get your point across but you DO have to say SOMETHING! If you don't want a haircut, SAY IT! If they get a 'tude, get up and get out.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Ladies,
Thanks so much for the awesome responses. I know this thread wil be a GOD-send to many.