I'm tired of this breakage

KitaWita

I\'m tired of this breakage

Hi all-

Last night I "washed" my hair with VO5 conditioner and then went to bed with ORS Hair Mayo. This morning when I rinsed my hair, A LOT of hair came out. It was very soft, but there was A LOT of breakage

What do you ladies suggest that I do? I received the Elasta QP Breakage Serum this week. I think I will try that tonight and see what happens.

Please help.

sweetcocoa

Re: I\'m tired of this breakage

ORS Mayo is protein....you have to be careful with too much protein. If you leave something in over night...chooose a moisturizing conditoner. I didn't realize until I came to the forums that you can overdo the protein.

Allandra

Are you experiencing breakage or shedding?

Like Sweetcocoa mentioned, you have to be careful with too much protein. Some people can use protein often, and some people can't. I used to keep Aubrey GPB in my hair overnight, but it never gave me any problems. However, it's been a while since I've done that.

KitaWita

It is definitely breakage. SOme strands are long, others short.

Since I don't need to overload on protein, should I use the Elasta QP breakage serum tonight, or should I use my LeKair Conditioner?

I just want this breakage to STOP!!

Thanks for your quick replies, ladies.

beana3

I would suggest the lekair OVER the elasta BCS (which BTW did nothing for my hair). I find lekair very moisturizing when used as a deep conditioner for 1 hour w/o heat and a plastic cap. It is also very detangling.

miss_brown

Is the Elasta QP Serum a protein based strengthener? If so, then you definitely do not need to use that now. It sounds like the ORS Mayo was too much protein for your hair. Try doing a long hot oil treatment and then a good deep conditioner (left on for at least an hour). Hope this helps.

KitaWita

Thanks, ladies.

Tonight, I plan on doing a hot oil treatment w/ EVOO and then go to sleep with LeKair cholesterol (in my hair) for a deep condition.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

P.S. I LOVE this board. Everyone is so helpful and supportive!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I've learned that I can't sleep in conditioner. Any kind. Maybe because my hair is mostly natural now... In the morning my hair is very soft, but it's tangled and matted against my head.

I agree with miss brown--give your hair a deep moisturizing treatment. I think LeKair Cholesterol has protein in it, too... What other conditioners do you have?

Allandra

KitaWita,

How are you styling your hair after you shampoo and condition? Are you using any type of heat? Hair accessories?

KitaWita

Sassy-

The only other conditioners I have are Aussie Moist and a V05 conditioner. I didn't know that LeKair had protein in it. The Aussie Moist is fairly thick, maybe I should deep condition with that. Thoughts? Any other recommendations? Maybe I could pick up some Motions Moisture Plus?

Allandra-
I simply put my hair in a bun and airdry. I haven't used heat in three months.

beana3

kitawita, have you used the lekair before??? What kind of effect does it have on your hair, Is it left soft and moisturized feeling? For some lekair mya act differently.

I have used lekair weekly with no protein overload problems because FOR ME personally lekair does not have a significant amount of proetin in it to make a difference. In fact, i use it as my sole deep moisturizing condit.

Also, I would advise that IF you use the lekair to use it for an hour, or however long you want,.. i just would not rec that you sleep in it.

KitaWita

Thanks, beana3! I've used LeKair before and my hair turns out really soft. However, this is the same way my hair turned out this morning after rinsing out the ORS Hair Mayo. Most likely it was protein-overload from sleeping with it in my hair. I think I will deep condition with my Aussie Moist tonight-Saturday night and then use the LeKair on Sunday.

I think I will wait until next Sunday (June 29) to do another protein treatment (Elasta QP Breakage Serum). I really hope this stops this darn breakage.

Thanks!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

beana is right. If LeKair is your normal moisturizing/detangling conditioner then by all means use it. I just think of cholesterol as a "treatment" type of conditioner because that's the way it feels on my hair.
I've never used LeKair. I have used the Aussie Moist on my relaxed hair, though. It was a good moisturizing conditioner. So is the 3-Minute Miracle.

kedala

Maybe it's the alcohol and Stearalkonium Chloride in some the formulations of V05 that might be damaging your hair. I'm not sure which type of V05 you use, but I was a doing a search on the ingredients when some other ladies were raving about the smell and these two were a red flag to me.

beana3

sassy, we must be hair opposites , lol!!! I tried the Diez y Uno and it made my hair soft as well. Its funny how products work differently for some .. even though we have the same texture.

Lee

When I use the Lekair Conditioner I put some EVOO in it to overpower the protein in it. I use this as a moisturizing conditioner treatment weekly. Once I rinse the conditioner out my hair has great slip. I hope this helps.

S

Stylepink

Stop using the protein based products and that should help. I found out the hard way that my hair hates protein. I use moisturizing conditions that contain zero protein and my hair has done wonderful. Try Cream of Nature or Motions neutralizing shampoo.

cutebajangirl

Hi Kita Wita,
Ihad a similar problem ot this when I first joined the board but my advice will differ from everyone else's. My suggestion would be to get a protein treatment like Sebastian Penetrait or Aphogee Treatment (less costly). I feel Penetrait is the better of the two. I did this when I had breakage and it worked. I like these types of proteins because they coat the hair and protect it from stress as opposed to Dudley's DRC which goes in an fills the cracks fom loss of protein in the hair.(As of this is based on the way the companies describe the product)So after the penetrait which severely reduced the breakage I did lots of moisturizing conditioners(still yet to kind the best one).

mirrormirror

kitawita
You really should not sleep with conditioner in your hair. Your hair will become way to soft And thats most likely why your hair is coming out. Just wash your hair with shampoo, then do a do a deep conditioner with heat for about 15 minutes, and I would suggest using ORS again for your deep conditioning. I dont think it was the product that was breaking your hair. I think sleeping with any conditioner overnight made your hair mushy. And beside ORS really isnt a "protein". Its a "rookie" compared to real protein/reconstructor treatments that have tallow and other forreal proteins.

LondonDiva

Um....I was under the impression that ORS hair mayo is NOT a protein conditioner.

I use it usually after every hair wash which is a few times per week and sometimes sleep in it with no adverse effect. Infact it's this hair mayo that I use to follow up a protein like aphogee.

Maybe your hair needs a protein treatment anyway and no matter what conditioner you use it's not going to stop your hair from shedding or breaking. I too thought that my conditioner had stopped working, but I realised it had been nearly 6 months without a protein treatment, and things never got better until I did one.

mirrormirror

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's the alcohol and Stearalkonium Chloride in some the formulations of V05 that might be damaging your hair. I'm not sure which type of V05 you use, but I was a doing a search on the ingredients when some other ladies were raving about the smell and these two were a red flag to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed that conditioners with stearalkonium chloride does not do well on my hair.

KitaWita

Hi ladies-

Update: I deep conditioned for 1.5 hrs with Aussie Moist conditioner last night. Afterwards, I braided my hair for a braid-out (which I'm currently wearing). While putting the braids in, I experienced a lot LESS breakage than the last wash. I really think my hair got too soft (as mirrormirror said) when I kept the conditioner in overnight. I plan on continuing the condition washes until next week. After which, I will do a protein treatment with the Elasta QP Breakage Serum.

Question: For anyone who has tried it, is the Elasta QP Breakage Serum a deep protein treatment like Aphogee or would I be better off using Aphogee?

Thanks!!

joyous

I've used both the Elasta QP Breakage Serum and the Aphogee. From the way it sounds I think the Aphogee would be to severe for your hair right now. I had good results with the Elasta QP, but whatever you decide to use remember to follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards. The Elasta is protein too, and it will make your hair feel dry, so moisturize..moisturize...moisturize

KitaWita

Thanks, joyous! That's what I was thinking as well. Plus this will save me a trip to the BSS since I already have the Elasta QP.

jazzyfunknastee

[ QUOTE ]
sassy, we must be hair opposites , lol!!! I tried the Diez y Uno and it made my hair soft as well. Its funny how products work differently for some .. even though we have the same texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in love with that conditioner! My hair is so soft even after it dries (a very big thing for me). I sit under the dryer with it for 15 minutes and to offset the protein (just because I'm a chicken about things like that) in it I follow up with the HE Balm.