Important Facts on Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

A

AmilLion

I found this article regarding Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, besides it being harsh and drying it is a suspected gastrointestinal or liver toxicant. I've included the highlights of the article below:

Sodium lauryl sulfate a high volume SYNTHETIC CHEMICAL used in consumer products and regulated as a PESTICIDE (WTF)...can be drying and harsh for the hair, cause eye irritation, allergic reactions, and hair loss. According to the National Toxicology Program, it has shown moderate reproductive effects in experiments.

Combined with TEA (triethanolamine), DEA (diethanolamine), or MEA (monnoethanolamine), can cause the formation of the carcinogenic substances NITROSAMES.

To be on the safe side, add antioxidant vitamins A and C to any product that contains TEA, DEA, or MEA. For each 8 ounces of shampoo, add 1 teaspoon of vitamin C powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of vitamin A powder.

Soap and detergent shampoos are not the same thing. Soap is the purest choice next to using soapy herbs such as soap bark, however, soap can cause soap scum, which will dull your hair. Detergents shampoos leave the hair shiny, but are drying to the hair. Soap allows more of the natural oils to be present.

Additionally, it also mentioned Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate which is used to CLEAN CARPETS AND UPHOLSTERY(WTF again)....They're trying to kill us with shampoo alone!

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
SheaMoisture's shampoo is loaded with SLS. I used to buy it; it was KILLING my hair!!

Stoopid SheaMoisture!!

Kiynwah

Nutrine Garlic Shampoo also has lots of sulfates. The top 3 ingredients, I believe! I bought it but once I read the ingredient list, I decided it would be best to return return return. I know some ladies on the other threads had issues with it
drying
tangling
making hair fragile

I wonder if pouring garlic into your hair will work on its own?

Thanks for the note4 about the SLS!!!

Mercie

I have SLS in the shampoos I use but, I always DC afterwards and oil my scalp. That way the moisture and oils that the shampoo strips out are replaced.

AllAboutMoi

I stopped using sulfate shampoos a few months ago. I didn't think they had a negative affect on my hair until I saw the improvements after not using them. I use the sulfate shampoos I have left to clean my oily scarfs, pillow cases, etc - works well too.

imaccami

Does anyone know what article this is or which site it came from? Does anyone know if the OP is still around? The first post is from 2002.

Ivonnovi

....... which is 1 of the many reasons I switched to Castille Soaps!.................

Thank you for the reinforcement!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I dilute my clarifying shampoo with water (it has sls) and pour it on dry hair. Then rinse with plain water.
Until I find something better...