In Need of Inspiration

Chimma

I went natural, but I am not comfortable at all with having short hair so I put in cornrows with extensions. I'm in need of some inspiration though, to continue on my progress, because I want to have length so badly that I am starting to consider things like flat ironing every week just so I can see my length-> which will eventually kill my end goal of long healthy, natural hair. And the problem is that I like the convenience of braids, but I hate having to have my hair in the same style every single day- so I am so tempted to just stop braiding and start flat ironing, which would be especially damaging since I am natural and it would probably take me a lot of heat to see length.

For some reason, I just don't feel attractive with short hair. It may come from my mother absolutely hating my natural look, but I don't know. I miss my length so much that I almost regret the cut, and I have no one to talk to about this that understands or can sympathize.

Please, if you are a type 4b natural, who grew your hair out from short lengths- please post pictures!
Is it possible to get natural hair straight with a flat iron if it is a type 4? I haven't tried once in the two and a half months that I have been natural. Alternatively, if you are a type 4 natural who flat irons frequently w/o significant damage, please tell me as well - because that might just be the better solution for me for the next year to get over this hump.

Be encouraged! Get Faith; her progress is truly amazing
smile.gif
i am unsure of her hair type though.

Chimma,

Look at some pictures of Jada Pinkett. Here hair was boy short back in 1996. It looked like she would always gel it down. Now 2004, she has almost waist length hair!
shocked.gif

I believe websites like nappturality and nappyhair have numerous inspirational hair albums showing growth starting with the twa =>.

You could get individual braid extensions instead of the cornrows, those can be styled.

I do think what would help you the most would be to stop worrying about your hair and focus on other things for a while.

All the best.

Don't stress, Chimma! Everything will be okay; it takes time and patience, that's all. I'm a 4b natural. When I was transitioning, my hair was shoulder length. Now it's a little past my earlobe. But, it is growing since I cut it at the beginning of May. It was at my earlobe. May not seem like much, but it's something!! Just give it time and take care of your hair and your hair will take care of you!!

Also, don't flat iron everyweek. Try once a month. If you do flat iron, please use a heat protectant and make sure that your hair is moisturized.

Sorry the pic is so small I can't find a bigger one. You could also check out the other naturals on the board. Most of them have pics in their albums of their inspirations.

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
I went natural, but I am not comfortable at all with having short hair so I put in cornrows with extensions. I'm in need of some inspiration though, to continue on my progress, because I want to have length so badly that I am starting to consider things like flat ironing every week just so I can see my length-> which will eventually kill my end goal of long healthy, natural hair. And the problem is that I like the convenience of braids, but I hate having to have my hair in the same style every single day- so I am so tempted to just stop braiding and start flat ironing, which would be especially damaging since I am natural and it would probably take me a lot of heat to see length.

For some reason, I just don't feel attractive with short hair. It may come from my mother absolutely hating my natural look, but I don't know. I miss my length so much that I almost regret the cut, and I have no one to talk to about this that understands or can sympathize.

Please, if you are a type 4b natural, who grew your hair out from short lengths- please post pictures!
Is it possible to get natural hair straight with a flat iron if it is a type 4? I haven't tried once in the two and a half months that I have been natural. Alternatively, if you are a type 4 natural who flat irons frequently w/o significant damage, please tell me as well - because that might just be the better solution for me for the next year to get over this hump.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the exact same position when I started my journey..I was also scared that my hair would never grow. I also did the cornrows w/ extension. I also got tired of the same style. I like to change my hair style frequently. The best tip I can give you is buy yourself headbands , cute clips and try wash n go even if your hair is short. Work with your hair. I remember I was using dominican tropical wheat germ conditionner as a leave in and it would give my hair definition and than i would put a head band sleek my front hair line with gel and a scarf and leave the rest all frizzy . You can try comb coils also . Personally it didnt fit me well i looked like a crackhead ..you can check my album and youll see. I would definetly keep the flat iron away! The more you focus on your hair lenght the less you will see a difference ..and when your hair will grow wou will not notice since your always focused on that. I was always focus on my hair lenght to one point people were like hey your hair is growing and i was like ...nah its not growing it so slow. So i stopped posting my hair pics for months and than posted after to see difference and now i dont need to compare pics to see a difference because where im at its obvious that my hairhas grown a lot.

Chimma, I understand how you feel about your hair. Maybe it would help you to remember the reason why you went natural and focus on having healthy hair - because healthy hair definitely grows and in a matter of months you'll see the progress! This is the perfect opportunity to learn what your hair likes and perfect your regimen. It's a wonderful journey and more often than not, you get creative when you see what you hair can do and how it can look different. I agree with Casarela that you may want to experiment with different hair accessories to create some cute styles. I would also recommend that you avoid heat as that can damage and weaken any new growth you attain. I hope this is helpful and good luck on your journey!

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound just like I did when I did the big chop. Please don't give up. Your hair will be medium length, then long in no time at all...
Look at it as a growing process, not only for your hair, but also for your SELF ESTEEM. Not many people have the courage to defy society's view of beauty and embrace what was given to them. But, you did it! I know my self esteem grows more with every inch of curly, nappy, fuzzy, frizzy, strand that sprouts from my scalp. I actually feel more beautiful with my natural hair. On the other hand, I did feel like giving up at times (especially while detangling my drawn up, matted, spider web tangled, coif
mad.gif
) and I have become frustrated many times. But, I think this is normal. Natural hair is special and we just can't run a rat tail comb through it like we used to do with a perm. Basically, you're not alone. Just hang in there.

I can't answer your questions about flat ironing. I've been natural for almost 2 years (BC on Sept 2002) and I haven't used heat at all on my hair. My hair is pretty much on point, growing like it should. I know that not using heat or styling products has contributed alot to the health of my hair...

Thanks for the posts...
I just need to hold on somehow. If my hair continues growing at the same pace that it is growing now, in another year I will be exhilerated with the growth.
smile.gif

I would love to seem a before & after pic of Faith, though, if she has some. I heard about her progress before.

I've found it hard to find albums on nappturality: there seems to be a bias against longer hair, and a lot of people have only started their journey very recently, so it seems that I usually either-> see longerhaired naturals who have always had longer hair or -> see people who have only recently become natural.

I just found an inspiration of mine:
http://public.fotki.com/micarae

She's a beautiful 4B. She started growing her hair natural at October 21, 2001. She chopped some time later after a transition, and her hair grew and stayed beautiful over the last 3 years. It is long now, especially for a natural, but you can see how much it increased every few months. If you email her, you can get her password.

I think that I also need to get my hair out of braids and learn more about twisting, etc. over the summer so that I can start enjoying my hair, and I can stop feeling as if I have to wait another year until I get the look I want. I love the look on twists on micarae when she has my length natural hair (i haven't measured since 3/20, but then I had 6-9 inches all around and my hair is very full and thick) - I think that I need to learn how to enjoy my hair right now, rather than living in the future. Then I can be happily surprised when I have length, but it will no longer upset me that I don't. I don't like the feeling of disliking my hair; it makes me think that I am lacking in self-esteem, because i should view my hair as beautiful when it is both short and long!

Be encouraged...I too was there on more than one occassion.
My hair had grown to my shoulder blades when it was cut to a twa by a stylist last year February - let's not go there as it is not a good memory.
Now it is to the nape of my neck (back) jawline (front).
I tried the flat ironing every week or so...ended up with mega breakage
I find that keeping it moisturized OFTEN has helped it to grow. I tend to rinse every day esp. during the summer and apply a cream moisturizer with Suave cocnout cond. Then style. When I was at your length, i would have conrows, twistouts, tie backs for a small afro puff, gel it down...i started out with a BC.
If it gets too tough, you may want to consider afro styled wigs
Check out Asha97 - create styles as well as PM Nay - she has long natural 4a/b hair - they may be able to give you some more tips and you can see their photos, mine ar enot posted as yet, sorry...hope this helps...

I know exactly where you're coming from. 2 days after I big chopped, I got some braids put in my hair. I just did not feel that the short hair was flattering for my face at all. After 2 1/2 months of individual braid extentions, I finally started wearing my hair out. It's a very different experience, but I keep thinking about then end and having long healthy natural hair. I liked my hair before, but I LOVE it now. I haven't seen any breakage, and it's just a matter of finding products that will work for you. Just be patient and hang in there. Your hair will grow - it just takes a little time. I have only been wearing my natural hair out for about 1 month and a half, but I have pics in my signature if you want to take a look. I don't know if it will be much of an inspiration since it's so short, but just wanted to give some words of encouragment!

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
I've found it hard to find albums on nappturality: there seems to be a bias against longer hair, and a lot of people have only started their journey very recently, so it seems that I usually either-> see longerhaired naturals who have always had longer hair or -> see people who have only recently become natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, people used to just take the odd pic every now and then... I've been very surprised to see so many people tracking transitions, chop, and month by month updates of styles and growth. It's all been in the last couple of years I think, so it's not going to be easy to find Before and After pics of people that went from a twa to braclasp or waist. Also, many find the process time-consuming or grow bored after a while. I know I certainly did, and even began to feel overly self-absorbed, and I never even updated regularly. As you stated, many natural heads are not particularly concerned about length, so that's also a factor.

I see from your last post you've decided to feel more positive about your hair. Great! I would also recommend being your own source of inspiration. Take a pic every few months (no need to post them publicly unless you feel like it), just to chart your hair's health and growth... it can also help you see if a particular hairstyle works for you or not once you begin experimenting with twists and such.

Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
cherish said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, people used to just take the odd pic every now and then... I've been very surprised to see so many people tracking transitions, chop, and month by month updates of styles and growth. It's all been in the last couple of years I think, so it's not going to be easy to find Before and After pics of people that went from a twa to braclasp or waist. Also, many find the process time-consuming or grow bored after a while. I know I certainly did, and even began to feel overly self-absorbed, and I never even updated regularly. As you stated, many natural heads are not particularly concerned about length, so that's also a factor.

I see from your last post you've decided to feel more positive about your hair. Great! I would also recommend being your own source of inspiration. Take a pic every few months (no need to post them publicly unless you feel like it), just to chart your hair's health and growth... it can also help you see if a particular hairstyle works for you or not once you begin experimenting with twists and such.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what i do
smile.gif

Back