In the wars of Lye vs No Lye...

Foxycus02

Which one is damaging to put over the next. Ok heres my dilemma, after waiting 6 mo. relaxer free I started using Lye which had no damaging effects over the no lye due to the extensive amount of new growth and I must say I was pretty pleased with the results. I wanted to try affirm relaxer and the beauty supplies around my area only carrie the NO LYE version so Ive applied that twice. But I want to go back to Lye it just seemed my hair was thicker and a bit more resistant. I mean the difference is not significantly noted but Im afraid that over the time it will be. Now, My question is will it be ok for the next time I apply a relaxer to be the LYE version of affirm or will I experience breakage
?

MissMarie23

I don't think you should put EITHER over the other.

I would suggest trying not to overlap as much as possible, and it should be okay.

Some people, however, recommend doing a 'corrective' relaxer, pulling lye relaxer though hair that has been straightened with no-lye. So, if you were to put one over the other, I'd put lye over no-lye before doing it the other way around.

HTH