Inches or Centimetres? Is everyone measuring their growth correctly?

Are you measuring correctly?

• Yes

Votes: 87 96.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

MummysGirl

Hi Ladies...

When I read something like, "4 inches in 5 months", I wonder if there's some confusion, and maybe it's cm being measured, in some cases... do you know what I mean? :look:

Here's an image of a ruler (not to scale, just for illustration purposes):

The top measurements are inches and the bottom ones are cms. 3 inches is ~7.5 cm...

So my question is: Are we all measuring in the correct units?

TIA :)

P.S. Lol, maybe I'm just jealous that at almost 5 months post, I have only 1.5 - 2 inches of new growth :lachen::lachen:

Attachments

• ruler_0_10.jpg
    ruler_0_10.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 43

Afrobuttafly

Inches here. My hair has grown about 3 inches in the past 7-8 months last time I checked which was maybe a month ago.

p381

I measure in inches (2 months post, with 1 inch NG).

As a matter of fact, i measure most things in inches which i'm used to.
For example, i know roughly what 20 inches looks like - but if someone said something measured 40cm, i'd be like Huh?

I'm sticking with the old skool style of measuring.:grin:

Ramya

I do inches and centimeters to accurately measure. Right now my hair is exactly 4 inches long. (6 months of growth) And I don't know how much I got monthly b/c I didn't measure monthly but the estimate is a little more than 1/2 an inch a month.

kandake

:rofl::rofl: at this thread. Girl are you serious.

I would hope that people know the difference. Its possible that someone could get 4 inches in 5 months. Not everyone's hair grows at the rate of 1/2 inch a month. This is an average. There will be people below and above that rate.

MAMATO

Good question. Sometimes I see ppl claiming 3'' growth and it looks more like 3 cm to me :) I use inches in general to measure my hair, but in real life I mostly use centimeters for any other measures, so I am quite familiar with both systems.

dlewis

I would hope that people know the difference. Its possible that someone could get 4 inches in 5 months. Not everyone's hair grows at the rate of 1/2 inch a month. This is an average. There will be people below and above that rate.

Correct and sometimes people go through growth spurts. My hair growths really really fast in the fall months.

MummysGirl

Ummm... yes I am serious. I hardly ever measure my new growth but after reading about some incredible growth, I decided to measure mine (not in a competitive manner, just to compare).

I am VERY aware that people have different growth rates but after seeing a few people say what looks like 3 inches to me is 5 inches, I decided to ask this simple question.

Because as simple as it may seem to you, some people might make this mistake.

MummysGirl

My point exactly.

Thank you.

Good question. Sometimes I see ppl claiming 3'' growth and it looks more like 3 cm to me :) I use inches in general to measure my hair, but in real life I mostly use centimeters for any other measures, so I am quite familiar with both systems.

kandake

I think those people are just delusional :giggle:

Correct and sometimes people go through growth spurts. My hair growths really really fast in the fall months.

I wish I could have a growth spurt.

MummysGirl

Yes I'm stretching it out :yep:
Are you stretching it out?

Inches here. My hair has grown about 3 inches in the past 7-8 months last time I checked which was maybe a month ago.

I measure in inches (2 months post, with 1 inch NG).

As a matter of fact, i measure most things in inches which i'm used to.
For example, i know roughly what 20 inches looks like - but if someone said something measured 40cm, i'd be like Huh?

I'm sticking with the old skool style of measuring.:grin:

Ramya

I'm ready for my summer spurt :yay:. I had great progress last year and I hope to have it again this year. I hope to have 8 inches at my 1 year mark. (November) :grin:

ETA: It's hard to judge inches via photos. You have to take into consideration style, angles, distance from the camera, etc.

Last edited:

kandake

Ummm... yes I am serious. I hardly ever measure my new growth but after reading about some incredible growth, I decided to measure mine (not in a competitive manner, just to compare).

I am VERY aware that people have different growth rates but after seeing a few people say what looks like 3 inches to me is 5 inches, I decided to ask this simple question.

Because as simple as it may seem to you, some people might make this mistake.

Calm down...

Your OP did not mention the comparison between what looks like 3 inches vs. the claim of 5 inches. You were talking about the the rate of growth over a period of time.

You even mentioned the possibility of being jealous. So, I took your comments in jest...

Also, if you're aware that growth rates vary why are you confused by 4 inches in 5 months.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Thanks... and I am calm.

I wasn't clear enough in my original post and that's no one's fault but mine.

Calm down...

Your OP did not mention the comparison between what looks like 3 inches vs. the claim of 5 inches. You were talking about the the rate of growth over a period of time.

You even mentioned the possibility of being jealous. So, I took your comments in jest...

Also, if you're aware that growth rates vary why are you confused by 4 inches in 5 months.

MummysGirl

Thank you, I agree with you on this but I still wonder if some people are measuring correctly.

P.S. I'd love a growth spurt too :)
I'm ready for my summer spurt :yay:. I had great progress last year and I hope to have it again this year. I hope to have 8 inches at my 1 year mark. (November) :grin:

ETA: It's hard to judge inches via photos. You have to take into consideration style, angles, distance from the camera, etc.

*Michelle*

Generally, folks are just seeing what they want to see.

:lachen::lachen: ITA!

I measure in inches...never even consider cm. Metric is just not the standard here. Yesterday I decided to start taking pix with a tape measure in the photo...ahem...cuz I plan on getting some serious growth :rolleyes: Anyways, seems the only way to really tell is with a tape measure in the photo. I created a measuring shirt and that isn't even accurate (I know my hair hasn't shortened 1/2 in the last mo.). So tape measure it is for me! But I am open for some suggestions re accuracy.

prospurr4

Yes, I am measuring correctly; I use inches only. I keep a little 6-inch ruler in my hair drawer for quick/easy measuring.

I normally get about 1/2"-3/4" a month, depending on the season and how regularly I exercise. I am looking forward to my summertime growth spurt. :yep:

Solitude

I don't use a measuring tape. I have a shirt, but I can usually tell how much my hair has grown by my new growth.

I have growth spurts and my nape hair grows faster than a half inch (while many people have problems with their napes), but other parts of my hair seem to grow very slowly, hence my layers. It's not that big of a deal. If someone wants to claim 4 inches in 5 months, I say let them claim it. It's hard to tell by pictures, anyway.

Most of the stuff about growth rates I ignore b/c everyone's hair is a little different.

Last edited:

LaidBak

I know how to measure, but I don't lend it too much importance. I am more concerned with where my hair falls in relation to my body parts.

Denise11

I measure in inches. I use a tape measure, and I have a measuring shirt.

I'm always skeptical of people claiming 2, 3, and 4 inches in a month. Maybe they could just be measuring wrong.

Last edited:

msa

I know how to measure, but I don't lend it too much importance. I am more concerned with where my hair falls in relation to my body parts.

I agree with you. I've only measured my hair once just to see how many inches it already is. That made me kind of discouraged so now I don't do it.
I'm more worried about being full APL. The numbers don't matter to me.

And when people report growth, the numbers aren't all that important. The retention techniques they use are what I care about. I'm more interested in the retention rate, not people's growth rate.

LiberianGirl

I use inches. However, I am more concerned about how I measure MY hair, MY growth and MY progress. I'm so sick of the paranoia and suspiciousness that is sometimes exhibited when a member posts their hair progress pics on this hair board.

La Colocha

I used to measure in inches but i don't anymore. It can be really frustrating when you hair grows slow. And my hair is not the same length all around. So im trying to stick with the health of my hair and i might just measure once a year.