Instant Weave with natural hair- help please

Bublin

Hey ladies,

I need some advice.

I went out and bought this instant weave...........i'm trying to protect my ends with the baggy method.
http://www.lfhair.com/xcart/customer...roductid=16918

I'm excited as i'm new to wigs etc and have to say i think it really suits me. I flat twisted the front of my hair and put it on.

I have one problem - the edge of the weave is way too obvious. My own natural hair texture isn't too different when twisted but that cap sitting on my head looks awful.

For me to walk out the house i will have to disguise that line with a thin hair band. I'm not to fond of scrafs/bands as i feel the pressure of them after a while.

Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong?

How do other naturals wear them?

Pics would be great.

glamazon386

I usually wear a scarf or headband and gel my edges down. Unless my hair is straight. Most of my half wigs are straight hair. How are you wearing your hair under the wig? I know if my hair isn't shrunken it makes the wig sit up on the top so I always try and wash it and let it airdry first so I get the most shrinkage.

Bublin

Hey, bmoreflyygirl thanks for your reply hun.

Well i have not worn it out of the house yet :lol: . I'm very self conscious - i mean i have 6 inch twists on natural hair and if i go to work with the instant weave they will all have so many thoughts wizzing around their heads :perplexed . I know - i'll get over it what people think oneday!

Anyways - when i tried it on i did flat twists at the front going straight back and then had individual twists all over the back of my head. The wig laid down perfectly on top and the first inch of my twists were showing.

Unless anyone else has suggestions about blending i'll wear a scarf/headband. I just thought i was doing something wrong.

glamazon386

You could do your twists but still leave a little of your hair loose behind it to cover the top of the wig. I've done that before back when I was relaxed. Now I usually just cover all my hair bc I don't want to have to deal with it. That and sometimes my wigs are different colors or are bone straight since I had them back from when I was still relaxed. I don't want my hair to be too drastic. You should be able to do it with that wig since it's curly.

Nonie

Bublin, I know this doesn't help but it's just good to keep in mind next time you're looking for an instant weave. Try to get one that is closest to your hair texture unless you want to wear it with pressed hair so there's no obvious break in texture since both will have a similar shine. I think our resident phony pony maker Michellehall might be able to make you a partial wig that looks like a braid-out/twist-out on natural hair.

I shared how I was desperate for a partial wig/phony puff a while back but couldn't find the right texture and was sold the wrong thing. I ended up improvising with a home-made puff using the weave tracks I discovered had been my purchase. The texture of the hair used was sth like what you have but curlier - like a jheri curl. My hair texture is 4, so it was obviously different in texture but even the color was off. Like you had I worn my "invention" out, I'd have been very self-conscious not just coz of the different look but more because of length. (I also had the issue that if I tilted my head the wrong way, the hair'd part widely revealing the cap.) My solution was to wear a net over it. This not only served the purpose of making certain the cap didn't have a chance of showing no matter how I bent, but it also made the color closer to my hair color (the piece was brown with highlights; the net was jet black. My hair is an off black color) and it made the new hair appear closer in length to my own by bunching it up.

The piece I used looked like this, maybe a touch darker (#2?) with highlights of this color:

And the outcome, as I shared before, was:

Last edited:

Bublin

Nonie - i don't get your explanation of wearing a net. But thanks for the rest.
My hair is still too short at the front to wear it in a pony tail so i can't wear phony pony's.

bmoreflyygirl - thanks again. I think i will also try out a full wig and just hide all of my hair for a while...watching it grow is like watching paint dry!

glamazon386

Bublin said:
My hair is still too short at the front to wear it in a pony tail so i can't wear phony pony's.

bmoreflyygirl - thanks again. I think i will also try out a full wig and just hide all of my hair for a while...watching it grow is like watching paint dry!

It sure is! How long is your hair? My hair isn't that long and I'm wearing a phony pony. I just slick it all back with the blue fantasia gel. The shorter pieces that don't make it get gelled down.

Nonie

Bublin said:

You know those very thin hair nets that sometimes come w/ wigs or phony ponies? Well, I just bent forward and let my hair hang down and put the net over the looooong hair. This bunched it up together so it wasn't dangling down around my bra looking fake, but instead formed a round shape like a puff. In other words, imagine if you had to stuff the piece I posted into a small bag...

And I agree w/ Bmore, you can wear a phony pony even with your length.

Ms Lala

I leave about a one inch wide section of my hair out. Next I braid the rest of the hair and put on a stocking cap. AFter that I slick the front section that I left down and pull back into a ponytail. I attach the weave and use a head band like Bmoreflygirl suggested. The only other thing I can think of that you could do would be to flat iron the front of the hair.

nappi

maybe try to sew in some tracks a leave the some out at the top then braid it ( micros)

thats what i have now and it lookw pretty good

Jazzmommy

Ms Lala said:
I leave about a one inch wide section of my hair out. Next I braid the rest of the hair and put on a stocking cap. AFter that I slick the front section that I left down and pull back into a ponytail. I attach the weave and use a head band like Bmoreflygirl suggested. The only other thing I can think of that you could do would be to flat iron the front of the hair.

I do something similiar. I leave a section out in front. I protect the rest of my hair (sometimes too lazy to braid) and put on a stocking cap.

First, I add a little non-alcohol base gel in the front and tie it down with a scarf to slick it down (I do blow-dry the front first to get it straight b/c of shrinkage). After the front is straight, I add the wig and wear a headband to cover up the demarcation line between my hair and the wig.

Bublin

Thanks for the tips ladies - great stuff

Nonie - i totally understand now and will give it a go.

bmoreflyygirl - my hair is 6 inches but only about 5 around the perimeter. When i pull it into a pony tail (when my hair is wet) i have masses of hair left around the edges - is your hair like this?
I will try to slick it down with lots of gel and then tie it with a scarf to hold it in place.

glamazon386

Bublin said:
Thanks for the tips ladies - great stuff

Nonie - i totally understand now and will give it a go.

bmoreflyygirl - my hair is 6 inches but only about 5 around the perimeter. When i pull it into a pony tail (when my hair is wet) i have masses of hair left around the edges - is your hair like this?
I will try to slick it down with lots of gel and then tie it with a scarf to hold it in place.

Yeah my hair sounds like it's about the same length as yours. And I've been wearing a phony since November or so. I chopped in September. I have short pieces around the perimeter too. I just put the ponytail a little behind the crown. The very front and the very back don't quite make it so I gel them down. It holds better on wet hair though and then I won't need the scarf. I put some gel on soaking wet hair and then brush it back. It might take a few tries to get it all up there but once it's up there and the ponytail is anchored good it doesn't budge. Once it's totally dry it'll stay put at least for a few days if I don't mess with it. Sometimes I wear the scarf overnight. There's some pictures of my hair before I attach the pony and the pony itself in my fotki.