Introducing Myself! newbie! (please read, long)

Mestiza

Your hair looks great! :drunk: HHG!

pinayprincess

once again, thanks ladies! and feel free to drop any constructive criticism, tips, and experiences in my fotki album!! :D

Cayenne0622

pinayprincess said:
Hey ladies!

I'm a long-time lurker who recently joined the LHCF family, and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ranika. I am half asian and half black, and I have 3b-c hair. I pretty muched used conditioner, mousse, and gel until age 18, where I met my black side of the family. My aunt Bridgette owns a hair salon in L.A., right around the corner from my house. She gave me a receptionist job there and ended up flat ironing my hair biweekly. Before I left for college, she used peroxide and cellophane to color my hair. I also dieted (Atkins is a MESS!) End result: my hair fell out. IN CLUMPS! I was a freshman in college who glogged the showers with enough hair to make a phony pony EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I immediately looked to supplements to restore my growth. Horsetail, Biotin, Protein Shakes (yes!), HF37, you name it! But nothing can stop hairfall when you're consuming anywhere between 30-50g of carbs a day for a full year. The true answer to getting my hair back was to add carbs! So I did. And boy did it grow! In addition, I got on a new dietary program of lean protein (chicken, fish, egg whites, turkey, whey) , complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, millet, 100% whole wheat bread, spelt), and healthy fats (fish oil, flax oil, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc.)

I found LHCF somewhere along 2004 and kept revisiting, but never joined.
I just read, read, and read, soaking up as much knowledge as I possibly could each time. I've spent HOURS upon HOURS scowering this site and scribbling notes in my little hair book. I learned all about the importance of moisturizing, creating a balance of moisture and protein, clarifying, protecting my ends and nourishing my roots. I learned about great products and started buying them. As a virgin LHCFer, I bought the basics: CON, WGO, Sweet Almond Oil, Aphogee, ORS Olive Oil, Coconut Oil. And incorporated them into my regimen as often as possible. Recently, I was looking at old photos of mine. That's when it HIT me.
Looking at my befores and afters (see my FOTKI), I almost cried. I have definitely came a LOOOONG way. My hair is unrecognizable in my before photo. See for yourself, ladies! This was a landmark moment. I decided to officially join, and make an investment in my hair's health.

Now, I'm done fooling around. I mean business. I want to see my hair soar. Thrive. I want tailbone-length hair. This is my goal. I want my hair to be thick from root to tip, and I want my ends to be a nice, U-shape.
And I will do whatever I can to accomplish this goal by graduation. (May 2008)

Ladies of LHCF, I'm committed for the long-haul. And I ask you to check me, and keep me on my toes. Recommendation, criticism, and feedback is appreciated beyond what I can express in words. I'm glad to be here and am here to stay!

Thanks girls!

~Ranika

I'm probablly gonna get burned at the stake for saying this but I think bi-racial people of asian/black decent of some of the most beautiful people I've ever seen and you are certainly no exception. I looked at your fotki and you have done a fabulous job recovering from the hair drama. I think you'll do great going forward.
Congrats and welcome!!

pinayprincess

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm probablly gonna get burned at the stake for saying this but I think bi-racial people of asian/black decent of some of the most beautiful people I've ever seen and you are certainly no exception. I looked at your fotki and you have done a fabulous job recovering from the hair drama. I think you'll do great going forward.
Congrats and welcome!!

WOOOOOOH! Girl you scared me with that opening sentence!!! :p Thank you SO much. I really appreciate the compliment. I'm really shy about things like that because beauty is not really an important value in my family (Filipinos, man!) Cockiness is shunned upon so I was never told I was beautiful by my family, only boys and men. I have finally came to grips with the fact that my fam has reared me in a sheltered manner due to cultural reasons, so I'm getting over my shyness. THANKS girly! ;-) But true beauty is within one's character. It never fades, and can't be "covered up" with make-up. ;) I'm gonna do my best to develop into a good woman. You ladies are my inspiration!

~Ranika

Cooyah

Originally Posted by Cayenne0622
Congrats and welcome!!

have you seen the Rock???????? ok nuff said, no stake burning here :look:

welcome newbie

Incredible1ne

Pinay, I was looking at your album this weekend and you do have great progress :) Your before shots aren't the worst I've seen. You and your little brother are so cute :)

NessaNessa

pinayprincess said:
WOOOOOOH! Girl you scared me with that opening sentence!!! :p Thank you SO much. I really appreciate the compliment. I'm really shy about things like that because beauty is not really an important value in my family (Filipinos, man!) Cockiness is shunned upon so I was never told I was beautiful by my family, only boys and men. I have finally came to grips with the fact that my fam has reared me in a sheltered manner due to cultural reasons, so I'm getting over my shyness. THANKS girly! ;-) But true beauty is within one's character. It never fades, and can't be "covered up" with make-up. ;) I'm gonna do my best to develop into a good woman. You ladies are my inspiration!

~Ranika
Awww, you are a very beautiful girl...Inside and out!!! This post proves that!! Welcome aboard girly!!!!