Is $150-195 Too Expensive for a Relaxer&Style?

How much do you pay for your relaxer and style?

• < $50

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • $50-100

Votes: 133 63.9%
  • $100+

Votes: 14 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Okay. The bolded puts a different spin on things, IMO. I would never pay that much money for services done by someone who said the bolded; she can't be forreal. At best, she doesn't sound as if she knows/cares about healthy hair. (How does going a few months without a relaxer equal virgin hair?) At worst, she's trying to play you.

And I could see if you were a waist-length natural, but you're neck-length coming in for a touch-up? Again I have to ask, is she forreal?

Please search the forum for tips on self-relaxing. Try YouTube as well. I can't remember her name, but she's a member here; she relaxes section at a time, instead of doing her entire head at once, because she doesn't want to mess up. You may can do that, as well. Good luck with whatever you decide!

i didn't even notice that part. how is 14 week post hair ANYTHING like virgin hair? :huh:

I could see it maybe if ou growth equaled your relaxed part...

RockCreak

OK - I'm a licensed stylist (retired for now--LOL) and I understand that they are in the business of making money. But ripping people off... That's a no! no! I don't care what kind of skills she has...What's the purpose of charging that amount....hmmmm none.

Nothing ticks me off more than a licensed pro ripping folks off. I'm still in shock! Almost $200.00 are you serious. At that rate I only need 2-3 heads a day and I'm done!

First of all your getting a touch up that's only applied near the root area and to NG only...and a trim. That goes hand in hand. The only style you wanted was a roller set? C'mon!

For that amount does it include a ride to and from your house and a complimentary steak and lobster meal?

My advice...do some shopping around...there are stylist that are truly into hair care and not into ripping folks off!

naturalmanenyc

I doubt that I'd pay $200 for a relaxer but I would absolutely not pay HER $200 for a relaxer because she is clearly a scam artist as evidenced by her statement below.

14 weeks post relaxer is not the same as virgin hair. In fact, for some people (including myself) 14 weeks of growth in the winter could be 1 inch or less. I have photo proof in my fotk of my 1/27/09 flat iron and 3/25/09 flat iron with no visibe length change in 8 weeks. Even with the average of .5 inches per month 14 weeks is absolutely not the same as virgin hair. That is just ridiculous to say out loud....even if she does believe it.

The most I have paid for a relaxer is $75. At Dominican salons a relaxer is about $35.

In her own words, 14 weeks post relaxer makes my hair the same as "virgin" hair, therefore she has to charge me as if this were my first relaxer.

I agree, I just have to find a more reasonably priced stylist and/or learn how to take care of my own hair. I hate being at someone else's mercy.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
*snip*

For that amount does it include a ride to and from your house and a complimentary steak and lobster meal?

*snip*

:funny:

Good thing you didn't post this stylist's info, otherwise I think that there would be an angry mob assembled outside of the salon. :mob:

Junebug D

What the heck??? $100 is too much! Anything over $75 is too much. :look: $75 is on the border of being too much! :perplexed I can see if you came in fully natural with ankle length hair and asked for a relaxer... maybe! But you are neck length and going in for a touch-up and she wants you to pay $150 or more?! Heck naw! :nono:

KnottyGurl

OK - I'm a licensed stylist (retired for now--LOL) and I understand that they are in the business of making money. But ripping people off... That's a no! no! I don't care what kind of skills she has...What's the purpose of charging that amount....hmmmm none.

Nothing ticks me off more than a licensed pro ripping folks off. I'm still in shock! Almost $200.00 are you serious. At that rate I only need 2-3 heads a day and I'm done!

First of all your getting a touch up that's only applied near the root area and to NG only...and a trim. That goes hand in hand. The only style you wanted was a roller set? C'mon!

My advice...do some shopping around...there are stylist that are truly into hair care and not into ripping folks off!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :look: I mean, for real tho :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Encore

this is why i relax at home...and then go to the salon the next day and then can just do a wash and set for cheap. That price is beyond ridiculous

Nice Lady

Those prices are for a weave and that is totally inexcusable. The most you should ever pay for a relaxer even if they are using Mizani is $90.00 and that is crazy. I have lived in various parts of the country and even, in places where there are hardly blacks and I never paid that much. Do it yourself or find someone else? If you have a Walmart around, they do perms for blacks, check that out.

lilsparkle825

That was my full sew-in...with a $20 tip. Aw hecky naw.

Don't even feel bad about cancelling on her. I bet when you tell her why you're cancelling she'll cut that price in half.

Avaya

You spend that kind of money for a relaxer when you don't have to ask if it is too expensive.

msa

I'm natural, and have never had a relaxer, and I just wanted to say that's crazy. I don't think you should let her do anything to your head considering her "14 wks post is just like virgin hair" comment.

Find yourself another salon ASAP. And before you pay them make sure you have a consultation and speak to the stylist about your hair concerns. You should even try to watch them do a touch up if they'll let you.

LivingDol1

of course it's expensive. i guess it really depends on where you live and what you are used to. i live in NYC. so my relaxer touch up was 140 which included a wash, DC, and style. some salons charge the relaxer separately from the other services....

i don't mind the cost because they did a good job. not a single scab on my head. and i only get it done 4 times a year.

LivingDol1

okay, that is rediculous. 14 weeks of NG is not virgin hair. that's crap. no i would not spend $200 to get my hair touched up... that's insane.

sounds like she's after your $$. i know i pay a lot for a touch up and i trust my stylist. i hear you on now wanting to just go the cheap route and not know if someone will jack up your hair. but that's silly. i would have lied about the number of weeks if i were you. lol. i've never heard of that before...

do you have any friends that you might trust with doing your relaxer? i also would not relax my own hair. i don't trust myself to be able to be precise enough with getting all of my NG without getting it on my scalp... or leaving it on too long... too much to worry about.

Basically, would you pay about $200 for a relaxer and style or start self-relaxing???

Ok, I've been stretching for 14 weeks and I scheduled a relaxer appt for this Saturday. The stylist gave me an estimate of $150-195 for a relaxer, rollerset and trim. So she basically wants $200+ and this seems way too expensive. However, she has done my hair well before and I don't want a cheaper stylist that might mess up my hair (I'm a former natural and don't want to have to BC again to a fade). lol

This stylist would normally charge me just $100 when I would get a relaxer every 10 weeks, should I have just lied to her?

But I don't think my hair, being that it is hopefully just past neck length now, warrants costing $150+ to relax. She only needs to put relaxer on the newgrowth and not treat my head like virgin hair like I think she wants to do so badly as well as trim/cut all of the growth I finally achieved.

I am almost ready to consider starting to do my own relaxers, but I am so scared of messing up. However, thanks to Megatek, I can comb through my newgrowth (which I never could before this long post a relaxer) and I might self relax this June/July if I get the nerve.

I feel so freaking stupid giving this woman all of this money just because I don't trust myself enough to use a $10 kit. $200...that's like half my tithes each month. I love my hair, but my budget can't take this constant assault even if I relax just about 4 times a year (then $50 rollersets twice a month, $120 for braids, etc).

Ok, I have vented, please give me some advice on being a self-stylist or taking your hair care into your own hands. I am so seriously considering doing my own hair from now on, but I need so much more courage or a stimulus check. :)

jaszymeen

yea i think thats a little too much. i get my hair done at a fantastic sams down here and they use a mizani and that's the best perm i've ever used. needless to say the first time i went to them i was charged around $65. the next time i went 2 make an appointment was about 3-4 months later cuz i usually stretch around 16 weeks and the lady who did my hair the first time left the salon so there was a new stylist. she did a really good job on my hair needless to say when she did it she charged me almost $90:perplexed. i was like price jump ok. then she left the shop and there's a new stylist in her place. she's done my sister's hair and my mom liked the way it turned out. come to find out the lady who did my hair the last time overcharged me when it shoulda been $55 for the perm when she charged me $70. i wonder y she left:nono: anyways sorry for the long story but no way i would pay almost $200 for a perm

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
yea i think thats a little too much. i get my hair done at a fantastic sams down here and they use a mizani and that's the best perm i've ever used. needless to say the first time i went to them i was charged around $65. the next time i went 2 make an appointment was about 3-4 months later cuz i usually stretch around 16 weeks and the lady who did my hair the first time left the salon so there was a new stylist. she did a really good job on my hair needless to say when she did it she charged me almost $90:perplexed. i was like price jump ok. then she left the shop and there's a new stylist in her place. she's done my sister's hair and my mom liked the way it turned out. come to find out the lady who did my hair the last time overcharged me when it shoulda been $55 for the perm when she charged me $70. i wonder y she left:nono: anyways sorry for the long story but no way i would pay almost $200 for a perm

Why don't they just post the prices? I can understand charging a little more for especially thick hair and if it takes an especially long time, but shoot, have a set price and stick with it.

jaszymeen

Why don't they just post the prices? I can understand charging a little more for especially thick hair and if it takes an especially long time, but shoot, have a set price and stick with it.

they DO have a price list posted now. they had just opened up at this location and everything was kind of thrown off because of hurricane ike so they had some issues still getting everything together. she was ripping people off and the managers didnt find out until people were complaining why the price jumped so high:angry2:

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
they DO have a price list posted now. they had just opened up at this location and everything was kind of thrown off because of hurricane ike so they had some issues still getting everything together. she was ripping people off and the managers didnt find out until people were complaining why the price jumped so high:angry2:

She needed to be let go if she was going to do that, AND the salon shold have treated you to some free products or treatments or SOMETHING...shoot.

BostonMaria

I have natural hair, but when I did relax I never paid more than $60 for a relaxer

The only way I'd pay $195 is if Brad Pitt himself was putting a relaxer on my hair (oh and he has to be naked)

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
I think that the consensus is that:

1) Your stylist is on crack.
2) $200 is WAY too much money to pay. Most people are getting quality service for about $50-$75. Some more, some less. Some for over $100, but they're getting a lot out of it.
3) There is no reason for a price jump for supposedly 'virgin' hair. (see #1)
4) Even if you pay over $100, its because of the quality of service, not the length or amount of growth you have.
5) You should look for a new stylist or consider doing your own hair.

1babydimple

This is one of the reasons I learned how to do my own hair - rip off stylist. I've lived in NY & LA and this is a shame, she saw you coming. That price would be for braids, weave, bonding, Keratin or curl but I can't see a relaxer etc.

Check out local salons, the top ones have "books" because they are proud of their work. If nothing else see what steps you can do at home and eliminate paying a stylist. Before I started relaxing myself, I would get a relaxer & DCon and go with a wet bun home, because I can do my own roller set or blow dry - why pay?

janeemat

Ridiculous! I fired my stylist of 3yrs in August when he charged me $125. Tried another one and he charged $95. Went the cheap route of $35 and she jacked my hair up by seriously underprocessing me. So now I have decided to do my own relaxer. I'm planning to do a corrective in the next week or so, maybe tomorrow if I have time.

LaidBak

The most anyone ever attempted to charge me was $130. And that was for Phyto with a trim and round brush blowout and flat iron included. This was my regular stylist whose skills were on point. But I didn't pay it. I went home and researched Phyto, yeah the stuff is expensive. But I just can't see paying that much.

$200 is waaay to much.

BrownEyez22

That is way too much. I could see if you were up north somewhere in a posh salon, but I am in Houston and that is just wayyy too much. And the fact that you are 14 weeks post makes it the same price as a virgin relaxer is a bunch of BS.

If she was a really good stylist I could see the 100, but I've heard of most stylists charging around 70-80 for a relaxer.

I could also see if your hair was near BSL or something and she charges more for longer lengths.....don't let this lady do your hair.

HERMOM

I CHANGED MY HAIRDRESSER THAT I LOVED BECAUSE SHE CHARGED MY DD AND I $140 EACH. WE FOUND ANOTHER STYLIST THAT DOES A BETTER JOB FOR $60. PRAY THAT GOD LEADS TO THE RIGHT PERSON FOR YOUR HAIR AS YOU BEGAN THE PROCESS OF LEARNING HOW TO RELAX YOURSELF IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN.