Is a rollerset considered a Protective style?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair has grown on the HYHC, but when i went for a touch up this friday, my ends and my edges were tore up.:( i think this challenge helped me alot, but my ends have suffered. I posted this q on the HYHC, but got no answer. I am going to trim my ends little by litlle. I think my hair needs a break from my ponytail buns and phony ponies.:ohwell:

shunta

I consider it a pro style if you have it pinned up off your collar and your ends tucked away. IMO, a true pro style is only when you have the ends tucked away, but like I said, thats just my opinion.:)

dlewis

Rollersetting is the main thing I plan to do (wash and gos/ bunning/ phonytails every once and a while). I realize today after my touchup and having to cut .5" because of bunning that it wasn't for me. My hair does better when I rollerset and wear it out everyday. My ends look like someone had put them in a food mill. But never again. And I look better with my hair out. I would consider it a protective style because you don't have to roll it everyday and little combing is needed.

Miss*Tress

For me roller setting is just a technique for curling/smoothing wet or dry hair. Once you remove the rollers, you have to style hair in an updo of some sort to protect it.

Last edited:

CAPlush

I think it is protective if you have short hair and/or the curls are very tight and the curls "sit" on top of your head. But the ends are still exposed to the air and can get dried out if the ends are prone to that, so I don't know if it is fully "protective." I think for the purposes of the HYHC, it is protective, especially since you have found that your hair needs a break. I am on the challenge, and I am wearing my flatironed hair pinned under (sort of like a faux bob, except I really do have bob length hair). My hair needed a break and it feels good to wear it out. It will be back in a bun next week though:)

MrsHouston

I think it's more than just bunning and roller setting...you have to actually protect your ends by putting special oils/products that aid them. Something that's designed to keep them healthy. I make sure to moisturize mine, then seal with jojoba oil. I also use the Mizani nighttime H2O treatment. Another product especially for you ends is S.O.S Split ends. I've been using it for about a month now. I've heard grapeseed oil is good for the ends also.

deontaer

I just decided yesterday to stop wearing my phoney poney. CVS and Claires had a sale on hair ass. so I bought a few clips and bought the microwave cap that I plan to use to do the quick roller sets with. I'll just pin my hair up in a semi french roll with the ends pinned to the middle of my head, but have them out and curled.

MrsHouston

dlewis said:
Rollersetting is the main thing I plan to do (wash and gos/ bunning/ phonytails every once and a while). I realize today after my touchup and having to cut .5" because of bunning that it wasn't for me. My hair does better when I rollerset and wear it out everyday. My ends look like someone had put them in a food mill. But never again. And I look better with my hair out. I would consider it a protective style because you don't have to roll it everyday and little combing is needed.

Your updo is so pretty dlewis!

seeminglysweet

I consider a protective style any style that prevents your ends from rubbing on clothing. So if you rollerset and your hair is above shoulder length or you pin up the curls then I think it's a protective stlye.

Cleve_gryl

I've been rollersetting my hair for about 4 years constantly to dry it, which I guess is a protective non-direct heat dry method. But, if I leave it down (which I usually do) it's not so protective to my ends.

adf23

I totally agree with whoever said its protective, ,unless you comb it out. Personally, when I try to doobie my roller set, I see more hair flying then if I blew my hair dry with a comb attachment.

I rollerset for years and did not see growth accumulation- I do like the texture of my hair when I rollerset, but my hair likes being airdried in a ponytail+ steam rollers to achieve curls. I think when my hair was shorter, roller setting worked better for me.

Isis

I've been rollersetting all of this time to smooth out and straighten my hair, even if I was wearing a ponytail or an updo. I considered it protective because I used rollersetting instead of using heat.

Only in recent times have I actually worn my airdried rollersets as a style. I consider it protective because of not having to comb it or use heat.:)

ETA: I love your updo too Dlewis!! Beautiful!

Cleve_gryl

deontaer said:
I just decided yesterday to stop wearing my phoney poney. CVS and Claires had a sale on hair ass. so I bought a few clips and bought the microwave cap that I plan to use to do the quick roller sets with. I'll just pin my hair up in a semi french roll with the ends pinned to the middle of my head, but have them out and curled.

Which store did you get the microwave cap from? CVS or Claires...I want one but don't want to wait on it to get shipped :ohwell:

Cleve_gryl

asubeauty said:
OT: Cleve girl, your hair is :eek: beautiful!!

:Blush2: Thank you girl! And thanks to all you wonderful ladies for ALLL the great hair care tips that have helped me so much! :kiss:

prettypuff1

It is as protected as I am going to get. I dont care much for buns( i have a large head), ponytails none of that .. I think my hair is up off my shoulders and that is the best i can do.

Isis

Cleve_gryl said:
:Blush2: Thank you girl! And thanks to all you wonderful ladies for ALLL the great hair care tips that have helped me so much! :kiss:
Yes, your hair is beautiful! Love your hair's color too!:)

Gisselle

It's also as protective as I'm going to get. I roller set every week and my hair loves it. At the end of the week I might do a bun, but other than that I wear my hair out everyday.