is aloe vera for relaxed hair?

blessedandlucky

i did a board search :look: and found a lot of info about aloe vera gel and aloe vera gel mixtures for natural hair. i'm relaxed.

i bought ao aloe vera and wanted to use it on my new growth as i stretch. have others used it during a stretch or regularly? i'm not sure the best way to use it. earlier today i put it on my new growth and it seems alright, but i'm not sure if this is best. i also googled it and didn't find much.

anyone willing to share their experiences? thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HauteHippie

That's a good question. I'd assume it's a good moisturizer for most people, since it actually works for my thirsty hair. I cut aloe pieces, put it in distilled water and spritz my (4b/4a fine, natural) hair. Aussie Insurance is a great aloe based wet moisturizer. I've never used aloe gel, though.

Any relaxed ladies have experiences to share?

Lissa0821

I use aloe vera juice pretty regularly since the summer. I had a friend at work who is natural suggest I try it because I was trying to stretch and was having issues with detangling. I use a large spray bottle with 3 parts aloe vera juice, 1 part distilled water and a couple of squirts of grapeseed oil. I keep the spray bottle in the refrigerator. I use in two ways, as a prepoo for twenty minutes or I spray it on then apply my deep conditioner and sit under my steamer. What I love about it, I have noticed that my hair shedding has decreased and I seem to retain my hair better. I also noticed it does not work on dry hair that will be styled, it makes my ends appear very frizzy.

I am relaxed and since I have started used the aloe vera juice I have been able to stretch my relaxer from 12 weeks to 16 weeks.

Charz

Sinister Minister
If you are wearing your hair straightened I'd imagine that it would cause unwanted reversion.

mstk

If you are wearing your hair straightened I'd imagine that it would cause unwanted reversion.

Yes, I would think so too since it's largely water. You should be able to use it if you're not wearing your hair straight. I haven't used aloe vera alone, but I use aloe vera gel in a leave-in mix I use with a lot of success (I'm relaxed/texlaxed).

amwcah

I don't apply it to my hair, but I add the Aloe Vera Juice to my green smoothies.

Solitude

Does nothing for my (relaxed) hair. I tried the gel a long time ago when I first started my HHJ - used it consistently and saw no difference - it did make my hair soft, but I tried to use it as a gel replacement and that didn't work. I use Hairveda's Whipped Gelly now. I recently revisited aloe vera juice as a leave-in, and it doesn't really do anything, it's like water on my hair.

As Charz said, it could cause reversion. My mom used aloe vera juice straight from the plant when I was a kid and it worked wonders for skin issues.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I use food grade Aloe Vera gel (from Whole Foods) in my deep conditioner mix, or my pre-poo mix. I am relaxed, and I've noticed that my hair holds moisture a lot better and is bouncier and shinier when I flat iron.

Hope this helps.

Minty

I use George's Aloe. It looks like water. I usually add it to a leave-in of some sort and apply to my new growth. On my relaxed ends I already have product so I don't use aloe for my relaxed ends.

I do not see how it could not help if it is used in conjunction with other things. Most ladies mix it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Does nothing for my (relaxed) hair. I tried the gel a long time ago when I first started my HHJ - used it consistently and saw no difference - it did make my hair soft, but I tried to use it as a gel replacement and that didn't work. I use Hairveda's Whipped Gelly now. I recently revisited aloe vera juice as a leave-in, and it doesn't really do anything, it's like water on my hair.

As Charz said, it could cause reversion. My mom used aloe vera juice straight from the plant when I was a kid and it worked wonders for skin issues.
I find that it works good as a prepoo in chicoro's prepoo on my relaxed hair; otherwise, it caused reversion (ng was all dry, coarse and hard to manage and work with) as a leave-in.