Is clarifying necessary?

caress

I'd like to know if a clarifying shampoo is really necessary. If I usually use shampoos without detergents, would a shampoo with detergents such as SLS act as a clarifying shampoo or do I need one that is labeled as such?

Country gal

Yes, there is a thread that addresses this question. Sometimes your hair has a lot of buildup from various conditioners, oil and other factors. I try to use a clarifying shampoo first than apply a moisturizing shampoo.

AngieK

<font color="brown">If you are not actually worried about mineral build-up from swimming or hard water, you may not actually need a true "clarifier." Most true clarifiers contain a chelating agent that can remove minerals from the hair. They also remove conditioning and stying build-up.

However, if minerals are not your concern, you could definitely benefit from a "deep cleansing" shampoo that claims to remove styling build-up, etc. This type of shampoo probably won't contain the chelating agent, but it will cleanse your hair and scalp thoroughly. Look for one that says "will clean without stripping."

AngieK </font>

Nonie

Caress, here's one thread on clarifying. If you type "clarify" as a search word and search ALL POSTS in the hair discussion forum, you should find many more threads on the same topic.

I have heard of people adding baking soda to their shampoo to make a clarifying shampoo. I did it once and for the time the shampoo was in my hair, I smelled a scent reminiscent of days when I relaxed my hair. (You know, that smell after the chemicals have been applied and are doing their work.) I'm natural so that scared the pants off me and I rinsed it off in a hurry. Whether I used too much baking soda and just about stripped my hair starkers, I don't know; but I think the next time I decide to clarify, I will use a shampoo meant for that.

Someone once shared that she never clarifies because she uses ACV rinses at the end of her wash. So do I, and have been doing it since my baking soda incident. And so I guess I'll won't be reaching for a clarifying shampoo any time soon either. I won't hesitate to use one though if my hair stops responding to the products. I'll use that as a cue, since it'll say to me that I have too much build-up preventing products from reaching where they're needed. So far, I think I'm doing fine...but that might be because it's less than six weeks since I "clarified"...

caress

Well I did a search a couple of days ago on this topic but I'm not sure that anyone ever addressed whether or not a SLS/SLES based shampoo could be used as a clarifying shampoo (if it's not labeled as such). I think I will have to do some investigating. I want to see if their are any ingredients common to many clarifying shampoos that you don't find in a "regular" shampoo.

For now I'll use one when my hair stops responding to my usual products. I will be trying VO5 kiwi &amp; lime shampoo.

SouthernCoils

I'm a natural head, but I use baking soda to clarify my hair once a month. It's good to rid your hair of all the products every 4-6 weeks.

Karonica

I truly don't think so because most clarifying shampoos carry the exact same ingredients as other "harsh" shampoos.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
I truly don't think so because most clarifying shampoos carry the exact same ingredients as other "harsh" shampoos. [/quoute]

This is what I'm beginning to think from looking at the ingredients. Plus I'm thinking back in the day when my hair had buildup my mom would just shampoo my hair 2 or 3 times and that seemed to do the job. I don't know what to believe.