Is it a bad idea to color and braid on the same day?

Avaya

I'm getting a touch up this week. Normally, I wait about 4 weeks post touch-up and get my hair braided (cornrows). I would like to color my hair with a demi-permanent dye (clairol's natural insticts) and have it braided all in the same visit. Is this a bad idea? I usually never have a problem keeping my hair moisturized in braids and I've gotten a semi-permanent color and braids at the same time in the past with no adverse consequences. What say you?

Mizani_Mrs

I can't remember exactly what is semi/demi coloring but i'm assuming it still is damaging and leaves the hair weak and fragile. Braiding it can be protecting your hair, BUT keep in mind that your hair will be extremely weak and fragile. If your stylist is braiding your hair tight, then i would say NO! wait a week so u can pamper your hair and then it will be strong enough to be braided with minimal breakage...

Sweet_Ambrosia

PrincessAvaya said:
I'm getting a touch up this week. Normally, I wait about 4 weeks post touch-up and get my hair braided (cornrows). I would like to color my hair with a demi-permanent dye (clairol's natural insticts) and have it braided all in the same visit. Is this a bad idea? I usually never have a problem keeping my hair moisturized in braids and I've gotten a semi-permanent color and braids at the same time in the past with no adverse consequences. What say you?

Wait atleast a week or two, longer if possible.
Braiding and Coloring your hair all in one day, isnt a good idea.
Any chemical treatment can leave your hair in a fragile/weakened state.
Putting braids on top of that, would only increase your chances for breakage.
If you dont wanna risk it, wait awhile.
In the meanwhile, you can prepare your hair by doing deep conditioning/hot oil treatments.

HTH