Is it absolutely mandatory to trim split ends?

Is it mandatory to trim split ends?

• Total voters

jupitermoon

I can because I did and my hair was constantly in protective styles, but when ever I would not wear a ps than I would get breakage. I don't think it is work it not to trim. Now That I started trimming I don't think I will stop.
I do agree that healthy ends don't need to be trimmed. So if you know how to keep your hair 100% healthy 24/7 then no you don't need to trim. I have yet to learn how to do that. Plus I relax so I think it is essential to trim at least every now and then.

I strongly agree with this. When I relaxed my hair was in constant need of a trim. Trimming once or twice a year was not possible for me while relaxed. Even though I did get my trims every 4-6 weeks back then, I still somehow always needed a trim by week four. I eventually had my waist length hair cut to shoulder length. My hair just can't remain healthy while relaxed.

I like that dancing gif in your siggy.

Spring

i was really hoping that after having trimmed my bangs in november of 2009, they would grow back in much healthier and thicker.

instead, they grew back just as thin as they were when i had first trimmed.
and i also had stopped using all heat at that time.

when will my bangs ever be full....other areas filled right in after the trim.

can someone please explain why this happened like this to me, yet again?

Grow, I experienced the same thing over the years and what I've come to believe for myself is that whatever I was doing (tight braids, too tight buns, heat appliances etc.,) damaged my hair throughout the entire length, even though I couldn't see the damage....

Each time I've tweaked something in my regimen, I usually see a positive difference in 6 months and a significant difference after 1 1/2 yrs....

So it may take a few years of gentle care before you see a slow in your taper

grow

Grow, I experienced the same thing over the years and what I've come to believe for myself is that whatever I was doing (tight braids, too tight buns, heat appliances etc.,) damaged my hair throughout the entire length, even though I couldn't see the damage....

Each time I've tweaked something in my regimen, I usually see a positive difference in 6 months and a significant difference after 1 1/2 yrs....

So it may take a few years of gentle care before you see a slow in your taper

thank you so very much Spring!

heartbreaking news (that's gonna take alot of patience!), but i needed to know the truth.

when you say damage, i immediately identify because only now am i really looking after my hair....guess it's gonna take a while, but "it's the journey, not the destination", so i suppose i better pull up a seat and get comfortable....i've got some tweaking to do!

KittyMeowMeow

Interesting discussion! I'm starting to think trimming is helpful, but not mandatory.

When you shed a hair, it then takes years growing to the length of the rest of the hair. All of the hairs on your head aren't the same length. Unless you are going in and finding the various short hairs all over the head, they will go years without a trim. If they were to automatically break and split from lack of trimming, no one would be able to maintain long hair for any period of time.

IMO trimming is mandatory for damaged ends and for making ends look full, but I don't think it's necessary to cut healthy hair.

Last edited:

Nonie

Interesting discussion! I'm starting to think trimming is helpful, but not mandatory.

When you shed a hair, it then takes years growing to the length of the rest of the hair. All of the hairs on your head aren't the same length. Unless you are going in and finding the various short hairs all over the head, they will go years without a trim. If they were to automatically break and split from lack of trimming, no one would be able to maintain long hair for any period of time.

IMO trimming is mandatory for damaged ends and for making ends look full, but I don't think it's necessary to cut healthy hair.

You guys keep referring to new hairs that just started growing being hidden and so their ends not being trimmed. You forget that it's older hair that is susceptible to split ends due to normal wear and tear and just having been around long. You also forget that the longer hairs are more vulnerable because they are exposed to the drying air while shorter hairs are hidden the same way protective styling hides longer strands; so they are less vulnerable to the elements. Very rarely do the shorter strands get splits, unless you're abusing your hair. Usually it's the longer ends that endure this. If this splitting were happening even to shorter strands, then see-through hair wouldn't be concentrated just on ends but you'd see hair that looks like a net. That is rarely the case. So trimming split ends, which usually happens on the oldest hairs, is mandatory IMO IF it is important for you to have beautiful hair. If you don't care how your hair looks, then of course it doesn't matter.