Does thin ends = potential split ends?

growingbrown

My hair dresser told me that my ends are thin and that she needs to cut 1 inch off. :ohwell: What does thin ends mean? Can they become split ends? Should I let her cut? It took me 2 months to get 1 inch and now to cut. I just cut a total of 5 inches with 3 moths cause she said they were split???:cry3:
:scratchch This dont sound right!!!

Nayna

Unbothered
Inspect your strands. If they aren't split at the ends then no you don't need to cut them; some of your just grows faster or slower. If they are split then yes you need to cut them.

How do you care for your ends normally? Is your hair breaking?

Sianna

You should actually be able to look at the hair and see whether or not the ends are split.

I'm still a newbie so I don't have a wealth of advice, but I think that having five inches of hair chopped off within three months might be a bit much. And now she's talking about taking off another inch?! IDK... sounds a little iffy to me. :look:

I'd say visually inspect your ends and see how the strands are looking. If they're actually split you might want to go ahead and get them cut, but if not, I think it'd be okay to leave them be for now.

Good luck! I hope more experienced and knowledgeable women will chime in on this one to help you out!

Nonie

My hair dresser told me that my ends are thin and that she needs to cut 1 inch off. :ohwell: What does thin ends mean? Can they become split ends? Should I let her cut? It took me 2 months to get 1 inch and now to cut. I just cut a total of 5 inches with 3 moths cause she said they were split???:cry3:
:scratchch This dont sound right!!!

Thin ends is what happens when split ends have come and gone.

A strand splits and as the split rides up the strands one side of it tapers off and breaks off leaving part of a strand. Since your hair strands go through the same trauma together (They get brushed, exposed to harsh products, to heat...all at the same time), it's reasonable to assume that splits happen to them all at the same time, not that some somehow escape while some vulnerable little helpless fools just stand out and let damage happen to them. So while you're busy babying your hair (or thinking you are), nature takes place and the old wither away and fall away and you only become aware of it when your ends are thin.

Holding onto them isn't going to help anything, because partial strands are not as strong as full strands so in time they'll break off on their own and your retention will suck or you'll be like those women with long hair that tapers into something gross that reminds you of a rat's tail.

The way to prevent that is to dust regularly, so you cut off the start of splits (which are inevitable BTW) and therefore leave a nice full strand end; moisturize and then seal the ends with something heavy and that prevent moisture loss; style your hair in ways that keeps your ends hidden from the drying air and away from clothes that would rub the ends to death.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to look at your ends coz you can't possibly look at all strands and if you can see the splits, they're probably too far gone...and if you're trimming one at a time, by the time you get to the last ones the split will be long gone and you'll swear it's not a split. Well then good luck while you hold onto skinny post-split ends.

ETA: I'll try to find a few splits in my hair today (I'll redo a few braids, and also strands that have thinned so you can see what I mean about it being a waste of time. You'll also notice that you need a magnifying glass to see some splits, so it's better to just dust all regularly (while they are still in that "unseen stage unless using a magnifying glass")) so that you never have to deal with thin ends.

Last edited:

growingbrown

Inspect your strands. If they aren't split at the ends then no you don't need to cut them; some of your just grows faster or slower. If they are split then yes you need to cut them.

How do you care for your ends normally? Is your hair breaking?[/QUOTE

I am transitioning so I wash my hair with ayervidia teas and air dry. I wear buns or ponytails. I usually do s&d's often. I dont think its breaking. She didnt say split, she just said thin....

frizzy

My first thought is, she's making that up, SHS know people are on to them. :lol:

I wouldn't let her trim 1 whole inch, maybe 1/4 inch.

frizzy

How do you care for your ends normally? Is your hair breaking?[/QUOTE

I am transitioning so I wash my hair with ayervidia teas and air dry. I wear buns or ponytails. I usually do s&d's often. I dont think its breaking. She didnt say split, she just said thin....

That's prolly why your ends look thin. Your roots are crinkly making the ends different lengths. You can only make that call of uneven ends (not splits) if your hair is straightened from root to tip.

Last edited:

growingbrown

A strand splits and as the split rides up the strands one side of it tapers off and breaks off leaving part of a strand. Since your hair strands go through the same trauma together (They get brushed, exposed to harsh products, to heat...all at the same time), it's reasonable to assume that splits happen to them all at the same time, not that some somehow escape while some vulnerable little helpless fools just stand out and let damage happen to them. So while you're busy babying your hair (or thinking you are), nature takes place and the old wither away and fall away and you only become aware of it when your ends are thin.

Holding onto them isn't going to help anything, because partial strands are not as strong as full strands so in time they'll break off on their own and your retention will suck or you'll be like those women with long hair that tapers into something gross that reminds you of a rat's tail.

The way to prevent that is to dust regularly, so you cut off the start of splits (which are inevitable BTW) and therefore leave a nice full strand end; moisturize and then seal the ends with something heavy and that prevent moisture loss; style your hair in ways that keeps your ends hidden from the drying air and away from clothes that would rub the ends to death.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to look at your ends coz you can't possibly look at all strands and if you can see the splits, they're probably too far gone...and if you're trimming one at a time, by the time you get to the last ones the split will be long gone and you'll swear it's not a split. Well then good luck while you hold onto skinny post-split ends.

ETA: I'll try to find a few splits in my hair today (I'll redo a few braids, and also strands that have thinned so you can see what I mean about it being a waste of time. You'll also notice that you need a magnifying glass to see some splits, so it's better to just dust all regularly (while they are still in that "unseen stage unless using a magnifying glass")) so that you never have to deal with thin ends.

Thanks Nonie. I understand what you are saying. Im trying to transition without BC but it seems thqts where im headed if this keeps happening. I guess I have to cut my 2 months worth of progress....:wallbash:

Nonie

Thanks Nonie. I understand what you are saying. Im trying to transition without BC but it seems thqts where im headed if this keeps happening. I guess I have to cut my 2 months worth of progress....:wallbash:

After you get rid of the thin ends, just get into the habit of dusting...that means cutting 1/4 inch at least ever 2 months. A 1/4 inch is only this much: __

And then just seal your ends and PS. I think you'll be happier with them.

Since you're transitioning, don't look at it as losing progress but rather getting closer to your goal while saving the healthy new hair you are growing. Coz splits act like a fray in material. You leave them there and they continue to wreck havoc on the rest of your hair...and your progress is thwarted even more. You cut them off and that sacrifice goes a long way in saving your hair.

I transitioned this way and I show how well regular dusting worked for me in this post.

Nonie

OP, I decided to echo myself here coz the links to the ladies albums below might give you ideas on how to prevent this problem:

* Dusting regularly for me is the most important. It alone worked for me as seen in the pics I posted above.

Please note, I wasn't moisturizing, moisturizing, moisturizing at all, nor was I doing the next important step (second bullet below).

* Sealing ends after moisturizing well and protective styling once your hair gets to shoulder length is the next most important thing to keep ends thick. Ask Wanakee and Micarae and Chicoro and Irresistible/Irresistible's sis ...if you don't believe me:

Irresistible's Sis: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=418494
Chicoro: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=418590
Wanakee: http://supermodelicons.com/wanakee-pugh/2009/09/12/
Micarae: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXWFprdhns&feature=channel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TPkukmO1s&feature=channel;

ETA: Perhaps if you did the second suggestion well and often, you might be able to reduce the frequency with which you need to do the first suggestion. I believe that's what Adrienne0914 did.

Solitude

Well, 5 inches sounds like a whole lot. That would mean your hair was straight-up breaking, not just splitting. Are you saying that your ends are still thin, even after the recent trims?

Nonie really did break it down. I bought the creaclip recently so I can start trimming my hair regularly. It's pretty thick, but my ends are looking a little thin (I'm also still growing out layers...I'm going for full, blunt ends).

growingbrown

Well, 5 inches sounds like a whole lot. That would mean your hair was straight-up breaking, not just splitting. Are you saying that your ends are still thin, even after the recent trims?

Nonie really did break it down. I bought the creaclip recently so I can start trimming my hair regularly. It's pretty thick, but my ends are looking a little thin (I'm also still growing out layers...I'm going for full, blunt ends).

Well I cant tell right now. I wonder if my braids not being braided all the way to the end of my hair could be the problem :sad:. I will follow what Nonie said and do a regular dusting myself. It seems like every time I go get my hair done she takes inches off. I do go regular but these 3 times is just :ohwell:.

FebeeSigns

A strand splits and as the split rides up the strands one side of it tapers off and breaks off leaving part of a strand.

Agreed. I always had a head full of splits for the longest time. And thin ends are caused by them.