Is it normal to have 'short' edges?

lilyofthenile

Hi ladies, after years of using micro braids my edges have been damaged really badly. Last September when I started my healthy hair journey, my edges came back very nicely, I have a full line of baby hairs at the edges and I contribute this to scalp massages with castor oil.

But one thing that has really got to me is how my hair grows normally and long everywhere else on my head, except on my edges. Is this normal at all? I don't get breakage on my edges, I only get shed hairs like everywhere else, but how can I get longer edges and is this normal? My side edges like behind my ears etc are long and normal except the sides in front of my ear T_T

This pic below I took about a month ago, my edges are much fuller and thicker now.

Thanks all, be blessed :yep:

Attachments

• Edges.jpg
    Edges.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 129

CurlsBazillion

I think every individual has a certain length their baby hairs can grow to mine are an inch or so long and I figure they shed and grow back that same length. I only have 7 inches of hair so maybe when I reach MBL I could have a different story but I doubt it.

leiah

Yes it is normal. I have never worn my hair in braids - I have very fine 3A/B hair and little wispy flyaways all around my hairline. You will notice this on people of all races and hair textures
That's what can make wigs obvious and unrealistic looking - when the hair along the hairline is perfect and long

faithVA

Yes in certain areas of my edges it is like that. With care they get fuller but they tend to be the same length and they curl up in little wisp of hair.

Ms Lala

The hair around my edges definitely seems to have a shorter terminal length. In some sections it only seems to grow a couple inches long.

SavannahNatural

My hair is exactly the same. I contributed my short edges to a one time micro-braid install/take down about 9 years ago! My front edges and nape are still quite short, however I haven't helped them along!

Being a novice transitioner I was straightening my hair to maintain a relaxed look. I used way too much heat around my edges and probably stunted their growth even more. I just recently started using sulfur on my edges and picked up my vitamin usage and am hopeful to restore my edges to a decent length!

Good luck to you and your HHJ! Be sure to post what else you come up with to help your edges catch up!

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
For a while, my edges were about an inch long, and nothing I did kept them from breaking. I realized that the black protein gel I was using on them was making them thin and brittle. I stopped using gel about 3 years ago, and now my edges are about 2.5 inches long, but won't grow any longer then that.

I'm glad that they grew out, and I truly believe that this hair has a shorter terminal length, and tends to be thinner and more fragile thus making it harder to retain length.

SavannahNatural

Something I've always thought about in relation to edges is the soap/face wash/cloth we use to wash our faces. Clearly most of us on this forum care for our skin as well as our hair. Could the use of a constant soap on our face and bodies (around our nape) what causes those areas to be so short or stunted?

MrsHdrLe

I'm glad you asked this. I was beginning to wonder if this was damage or breakage. My hair in the nape is really fine and only grows to about 2-3 inches. Sometimes I think I have breakage there, but I do notice nearly everyone has shorter hair around their perimeters.

CurlsBazillion

MrsHdrLe my nape grows exactly like my edges. 1/4 in of my nape is 2in long. As far a breakage only time I've seen breakage there was because of tension and at the salon when they lay your head in the bowl to rinse and neutralize after a touch up but never think to clean off the relaxer that was left on the bowl where you neck/nape lies. Leaving relaxer in your hair basically.