Is it possible to transition while GAINING length?

crazydaze911

Hey ladies:
i was just wondering... i hear alot of pple transitioning without the BC and trimming slowly to maintain their length. Has anyone been able to actually GAIN length while transitioning rather than just maintain? i'm asking b/c i'm really concerned with reaching my goals WHILE i transition and i was speaking to someone about how i keep getting splits every 2 months regardless of how careful i am with my hair, and this person told me i will continue to get them and have to cut until i'm COMPLETELY natural. any thoughts? I've been the same length FOREVER with trims (even b/f transitioning) :ohwell:

Last edited:

loulou82

Yes! It is definitely possible. I was NL last May and now I'm very close to APL. I've been transitioning for 10+ months. Also, SouthernTease is transitioning while gaining length.

You just have to tweak your regimen to accommodate the NG coming in. I pay very close attention to the demarcation like and moisturize often.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Yes it's definitely possible. I'm transitioning while gaining length too. I got my hair cut last September back to just past shoulder length and I'm past APL now.

crazydaze911

Yes! It is definitely possible. I was NL last May and now I'm very close to APL. I've been transitioning for 10+ months. Also, SouthernTease is transitioning while gaining length.

You just have to tweak your regimen to accommodate the NG coming in. I pay very close attention to the demarcation like and moisturize often.

Thanks for giving me hope! Is your relaxed hair splitting at all? how often do you trim?

loulou82

Thanks for giving me hope! Is your relaxed hair splitting at all? how often do you trim?

No I don't have split ends. My last trim was March 2007 at the salon. I dusted my ends February 2008. If I DO see a split then I snip it but I don't cut more hair than I need to. I don't plan to trim until I'm full APL to even things up. My hair is always up and protected so it doesn't get a chance to get worn out by the elements (clothes, wind, sun) and split. I make sure to strengthen with protein and moisturize. I have Aphogee and good deep conditioners in my arsenal. :yep:

ETA: I'm not sure why you're getting splits like clockwork. How do you wear your hair daily? Do you have protein and moisture incorporated into your regimen? Do you seal your hair shafts with an oil or butter to smooth the cuticles?

Last edited:

crazydaze911

No I don't have split ends. My last trim was March 2007 at the salon. I dusted my ends February 2008. If I DO see a split then I snip it but I don't cut more hair than I need to. I don't plan to trim until I'm full APL to even things up. My hair is always up and protected so it doesn't get a chance to get worn out by the elements (clothes, wind, sun) and split. I make sure to strengthen with protein and moisturize. I have Aphogee and good deep conditioners in my arsenal. :yep:

ETA: I'm not sure why you're getting splits like clockwork. How do you wear your hair daily? Do you have protein and moisture incorporated into your regimen? Do you seal your hair shafts with an oil or butter to smooth the cuticles?

My hair is in a bun EVERYDAY - ICK :perplexed. I alternate one week protein condish, one week moisture condish - i think my hair is pretty balanced thats why i keep to this schedule rather than evaluating it each week. I use oil after my leave in. i used to moisturize every couple days, but since i had the BKT done, i only need it once a week, maybe twice. someone on another thread said too much sugar in your diet can cause splits - if thats true (havent researched yet), then that might be the culprit cuz i LOVE chocolate :lachen:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
actually while i was transitioning i gained the longest hair i ever had. if i had not ruined my hair with color i would probally still be transitioning from then

SouthernTease

Yep... this pic is a couple of months old but
I'm 1 year & 2 months into my transition...
I think I got about 6" of new growth...
By April 15th... I will have gone from
SL to APL... I hope.
I stopped getting trims and using heat on my ends over
a year ago... I also baggy my ends at night and
moisturize twice a day... oh and deep condition
twice a day... and now I do daily herbal tea rinses
and co-washes.

Last edited:

crazydaze911

Yep... this pic is a couple of months old but
I'm 1 year & 2 months into my transition...
I think I got about 6" of new growth...
By April 15th... I will have gone from
SL to APL... I hope.
I stopped getting trims and using heat on my ends over
a year ago... I also baggy my ends at night and
moisturize twice a day... oh and deep condition
twice a day
... and now I do daily herbal tea rinses
and co-washes.

hey southern!
did you mean deep condition twice a day or twice a week? You have some excellent new growth. and its so pretty - why did any of us ever relax in the first place! lol.
how many inches of relaxed hair do you have? Since you arent trimming, u didnt lose any relaxed length or have you seen some of it break?

crazydaze911

yup! id did that last transition and im doing the same with this one as well :)

Im confused! i thought your hair was still curly like in the pic with the glasses. what happened? when did you use chemicals and when did you start transitioning again? i LOVE YOUR CURLS - no frizz, smooth and healthy!

silvergirl

Im confused! i thought your hair was still curly like in the pic with the glasses. what happened? when did you use chemicals and when did you start transitioning again? i LOVE YOUR CURLS - no frizz, smooth and healthy!

i had a big color disaster in march.. my hair was dry and full of frizz, and i lost quite a bit of curl definition in the process. it was literally just dry frizz. so i decided to relax it , which will allow me to style my hair
(cause i couldnt even do a ponytail, wash an go without it looking horrible) and transition again

crazydaze911

i had a big color disaster in march.. my hair was dry and full of frizz, and i lost quite a bit of curl definition in the process. it was literally just dry frizz. so i decided to relax it , which will allow me to style my hair
(cause i couldnt even do a ponytail, wash an go without it looking horrible) and transition again

wow - well good luck. color is the devil but i still love it. havent colored since 2000 or 2001. it was VERY bad for my relaxed hair, scared to find out how it would effect my transitioning hair

crazydaze911

just to clarify - i know everyones hair grows out of their head, but wanted to know if the relaxed ends were hard to maintain leading to a stump in growth -like whatever grows in, breaks off. i know ya'll know what i meant, but just wanted to repeat :spinning: