Can You Keep Long Hair While Transitioning???

NYLegalNewbie

I am seriously considering transitioning to natural over the next couple of years, but no way in HELL do I want to give up my length. LOL! :lachen:

So, I was wondering, is it REALLY possible to maintain length while transitioning?

I ask because I'm thinking about starting the transition once I reach my goal length.

Ladies, please pipe in! Need your thoughts!

You can but I would suggest you keep your hair in protective and/or low manipulation styles. You can just cut a little at a time.

Allandra did this also. She has about 2 inches or so of relaxed ends which I think she has a date for cutting those off.

Yes you can transition with long hair.

Yes! There are so many ladies who transitioned/ are transitioning for way over a year: Allandra, BlackBarbie, Eisani are still transitioning, Mook transitioned for 2 years Soleil, Finding Me transitioned for 16-18 months. There's someone on fotki who transitioned for over 2 years in twistouts (http://public.fotki.com/lifesacatwalk/) <-- There are so many more ladies.

Check out the Transitioner's Support Thread.

Last edited:
My little sister transitioned that way too. She would get her hair washed and rollerset. Then the stylist would press (or flat iron) the new growth (only) that had come in, and the relaxed ends would be straight from the rollerset. She would trim off little by little, and now all of the relaxed ends are gone. I think it took a year or two. I think you have to have a stylist who is patient and also savvy enough to do that.

Otherwise, transitioning via braids/weaves would also be good.

The only thing I'm worried about with being natural is that I LOOOVVEE wearing my hair straight. I'm worried that if I try to wear straight styles a lot, I may do more damage to my hair than if I just would've stuck with being relaxed.

However, natural hair appeals to me for a lot of reasons. I'd love to rock my natural hair because, even though I've never REALLY seen it, I am sure it's very beautiful. Plus, I'd love the ease of wash-n-go hair with beautiful ringlets.

im planning to do a long term transition as well. i want my natural hair to be a little past apl or bra strap hopefully. im relaxed apl already. i plan to chop in 2011+

I did that when I was younger before I knew what transitioning was. I was shoulder length and always in between relaxed and natural, so I just stopped relaxing for 3 years straight. I didn’t take care of my hair at that time though, so it wasn’t in the best condition. My length just stayed the same the whole time.

The only thing I'm worried about with being natural is that I LOOOVVEE wearing my hair straight. I'm worried that if I try to wear straight styles a lot, I may do more damage to my hair than if I just would've stuck with being relaxed.

However, natural hair appeals to me for a lot of reasons. I'd love to rock my natural hair because, even though I've never REALLY seen it, I am sure it's very beautiful. Plus, I'd love the ease of wash-n-go hair with beautiful ringlets.
In your siggy it says your hair type is type 4. You should look at the fotki's of some type 4 naturals before you decide to go natural. This way you can get a realistic idea of what your natural hair texture will look like because type 4's do not have ringlet curls naturally so a wash -n- go on a type 4 is not the same as a wash-n-go on a type 3 hair texture.

I have been transitioning for almost 21 months and I have consistently kept my hair at apl with small chops here and there. I refuse to have short hair so a really bc was out of the question for me. I don't straighten that often though mostly wash and go ponytails.

Many moons ago I transitioned with long hair. I would just get an inch or chopped every month or so. Then I hair cut into a chin length bob. I probably transitioned for about two years. My main method of styling wrapping my hair, sitting under a hooded dryer then smoothing it out a bit with a flat iron. I was no where near as knowledgeable about hair as am now but manged to keep it on my head.

In your siggy it says your hair type is type 4. You should look at the fotki's of some type 4 naturals before you decide to go natural. This way you can get a realistic idea of what your natural hair texture will look like because type 4's do not have ringlet curls naturally so a wash -n- go on a type 4 is not the same as a wash-n-go on a type 3 hair texture.

Thanks. Definitely something I was thinking about because, seeing as how I've never worn my hair natural, I have no idea what the texture is really going to be like. My friend recommended I stretch my next relaxer to 14 to 16 weeks and then take a look at the hair to get a better idea.

There are some naturals here that wear their hair straightened more often than... well... natural. :look: Pinkskates comes to mind right off the bat. Also, have you looked into the BKT threads? I've seen a lot of positive reviews in there, and I'd be willing to bet it would make life easier when doing a long transition. :yep:

Definitely, I never cut my hair during my transition....just let the relaxed ends fall away in their own time and by the time I was fully natural....my hair was past apl on its way to mid-back:yep:

I plan to.. I love my texlaxed hair just as much as I love the natural hair.. I am not a believer in the BC... I have never known anyone personally who BC'ed.. everybody just grew out the relaxer.. only on LHCF do I see people cutting off their relaxed hair like that..
I plan to keep mine all the way to MBL.

Well the other ladies have already mentioned the members that I was going to list as examples, but yeah, it's very possible to transition without losing length.
I'm BSL w/ about 6 inches of relaxed hair that I have NO intention of cutting until my natural hair is MBL.

Good luck in your transition OP!

I am currently on month 12 of my transition. Initially for me growing my hair out was one of my main goals. I plan on transitioning for one more year, and then I am going to BC. I do think it is possible! I am in a protective style most days, and I co-wash everyday or every other day. If I do straighten it is less than once a month. HHG!

Yes. It took me 3 years with lots of trims and 2 mini hair cuts of about 3 inches in between. I wore my hair up most of the time and co washed daily.

If you like to wear your hair straight most of the time, it may not be a good idea to go natural, because too much heat is bad for the hair and natural hair tends to revert/fizz easily when straightened with heat.

Last edited:
I have been transitioning since 12/2007 and I never did a big chop. However, going from relaxed to 4a is difficult. The tight curls against the relaxed straight hair can become a challenge. Nonetheless, I never chopped above my shoulders.

My fotki is here - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/

This is the shortest I have been:
IMG_0042-vi.jpg

How long did your transition take? How'd you manage your hair?
I didn't really keep track, remember I just found out about the boards like this summer lol I just washed and conditioned in 8 braids then pressed and flat ironed my hair each week or so to make the two textures match but I'd say it took me about 2 1/2-3 years before I noticed my hair was kinky from root to tip. I maintained my length the whole time.

But I really do think its healthy to start from scratch because that way, you get to know your own unique hair needs better and by the time its long you'll have a routine going. But yea, long term transitioning without a BC can definitely be successfully done....I'm living proof. I'd give my hair more breaks from heat if I had it to do all over again though. Everything in moderation:)

My hair isn't long, it's a bit below SL, and I'm in week 5 of transitioning out of a texlax. I don't plan on BCing, just growing it until the texlaxed ends break off, or till they are gradually trimmed off. I honestly don't care if this hair sticks around for a few more years.

I'm a 4a/b texture and what works for me (I've done long stretches in the past-6 mons-in efforts to transition before I texlaxed for the last time) is to always wear my hair in stretched styles through braidouts or banding. It'ts doable to keep your hair long during a transition, just try to keep the two textures similar. I don't know if ur relaxed straight or not though...

Yes you can manage to keep long hair while transitioning. I have been transitioning for 2 years and 7 months and this pic is the longest my hair has been during the transition:

August107.jpg

This is 6 months into my last transition - my last relaxer was in January 2007 and this pic was taken in August 2007.

This is a pic of my hair at the shortest point during my transition:
DSCF0582-1.jpg

It was taken in March of this year.

I trimmed a couple of inches every few months and I think when this pic was taken, it was probably the "largest" trim I had ever had, like maybe 4-5 inches. For the most part, my hair has stayed the length of the first pic (during my transition) until a few months ago.

The key for me has been letting a couple of inches go as inches grow!

BB

Last edited:
Definitely, I never cut my hair during my transition....just let the relaxed ends fall away in their own time and by the time I was fully natural....my hair was past apl on its way to mid-back:yep:

I am in the process of doing this as well - i just let the relaxed ends shed as they normally would and have only trimmed once since i started my transition - i have been transitioning for 2 years and 9 months. See left siggy pic - the red line is where the two textures meet.

My hair is FINALLY gaining some length so i do not want to part with it now. If my V gets really scraggly, i will strart trimming slowly once i get to WSL.

Also - dont know if it was mentioned but there is a long term transitioner support thread on the forum somewhere that may be of help

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing this as well - i just let the relaxed ends shed as they normally would and have only trimmed once since i started my transition - i have been transitioning for 2 years and 9 months. See left siggy pic - the red line is where the two textures meet.

My hair is FINALLY gaining some length so i do not want to part with it now. If my V gets really scraggly, i will strart trimming slowly once i get to WSL.

Also - dont know if it was mentioned but there is a long term transitioner support thread on the forum somewhere that may be of help

Wow, in the pic on the left, ALL your hair looks natural! If you didn't have the red line, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Your hair is really pretty.

Although all your hair blends in pretty well and looks uniform, do you ever get the urge to cut it so you can see what it all looks like natural? (I'm asking because I do! LOL)

BB

What if you don't braid your hair or don't apply heat much? Is the key straightening the hair during the transition? I tried to forego relaxers but the line of demarcation...and my hair is tangly and sheds a lot unless I relax. I've tried. I'd love to transition. My daughter did it and her hair was waistlength. It's now bsl... took her 1 year and she cut all the ends off. Seems her hair has grown a good 6 inches from just 4 months ago, too.

I deep condition...but I'm wash and wear and that's probably my problem. I tried low manipulation but my roots snake up and tangle. I just don't quite have the wash 'n wear technique for transitioning down. Maybe an oil rinse/pre-poo or something...dunno. I tried various mild shampoos...don't like conditioner washes all the time because you don't get as clean. Tried ayurvedic shampoo bars...and they leave the hair full of soapy filmy gunk.:nono:

Well, I'll keep reading and trying to finetune, finding other successful transitioners...so far, none of their regimens have helped me much in my case. But I think your transitioned hair is so full of body, it's incredible!

I am seriously considering transitioning to natural over the next couple of years, but no way in HELL do I want to give up my length. LOL! :lachen:

So, I was wondering, is it REALLY possible to maintain length while transitioning?

I ask because I'm thinking about starting the transition once I reach my goal length.

Ladies, please pipe in! Need your thoughts!
I know how you feel. I have started my transition to natural and I haven't had a relaxer in almost 22 weeks. I have been wearing my hair in a neat but and once in awhile I blow dry it. My girlfriend who has been natural for four years is my inspiration. She refused to do a big chop. During the hotter months she would wears braids, twists and other protective styles. During the cooler months, she gets her hair blow dried by a woman who specializes in natural hair and gives her treatments, all the while, she just got her relaxer cut out little by litte.

Me, I'm getting ready to get braids for a few months. Yesterday I was in a beauty supply store and saw some incredible wigs. I never, ever considered wearing one, but I am seriously considering getting one. I would like to wear protective styles for the first year. What's good is my hair looks really good pull back into a bun. I totally forgot about the texture of my hair having been relaxed for many, many years. You have lots of company on this board. Hang in there -- we can do this together!!!
:yep:

Wow, in the pic on the left, ALL your hair looks natural! If you didn't have the red line, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Your hair is really pretty.

Although all your hair blends in pretty well and looks uniform, do you ever get the urge to cut it so you can see what it all looks like natural? (I'm asking because I do! LOL)

BB

Thanks blackbarbie. i was thinking the exact OPPOSITE of your pics. i was like 'her hair still looks just as silky and easy to manage as when it was relaxed' - lol.

i definitely get the urge to cut. In the pic on the left in my siggy, it is brushed out, air-dryed. in the pic on the right it was flatironed with a BKT treatment. But when my hair is airdryed in a bun or i TRY to do a wash and go and basically EVERY TIME i wash it, the difference in textures looks HIDEOUS - lol. And everytime i go on tightlycurly.com and look at teris hair im tempted to HACK, but i really cant let go of the length. Its the longest my hair has been since like age 12 and im one of the slow growers - since it blends in ok when straightened, im trying to hold on. lol

i've attached a wet pic of my hair (one month or so after the BKT, when it was wearing off) and you can see the demarcation line much better.....

Attachments

• DSC01241.JPG
    DSC01241.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back