Is it the Phyto?? Need Texturizer advice!

Bluetopia

Hello All

I dont start threads very often but no amount of searching I've done has helped me get to the bottom of this. I am PRAYING ya'll can help. :look:

I had locs for several years (5+) and was natural for about a year or two before that.

In January I cut my locs but kept the 3 or 4 inches of hair at my roots and just combed those out so I wouldnt have to start from scratch (I had cut back on twisting my roots for this very purpose for 6 months before my BC)

When all was said and done....those 4 inches at my roots ended up being shoulder length hair once they were blow dried :blush:

My stylist was just as shocked as I was!

Turns out my hair is so super coily that my shrinkage makes my hair look 1/4 of its real length when its natural; to give you a sense of what it looks like its perfectly spiraled and wiry like a slinky or really tight straw set.

The stylist actually called other hairdressers over to look at my hair because she had never seen anyone with my texture before.

I didnt want to put any harsh chems in my hair so I took her recommendation to texturize using Phyto. And I loved it cause it didnt burn like perms usually do.

Here my dilemna tho.....when my hair was permed bone straight back in the 90's i remember it being thick and never having tangles. Mind you back then I also never used a blowdrier, only got roller sets and I was a salon girl who never actually "did" my own hair. But as far as I can remember that is the truth :lachen:

Now ....my 4b hair is super dry, sheds A LOT, is difficult to detangle, gets easily knotted up, is thin :wallbash: and doesnt feel nearly as soft as i remember it previously being.

I know some of this is due to the fact that the lower 3/4s of my hair was previously loc'd, but even my newly grown hair had issues after I texlaxed on July 1st.

From reading the boards I think the culprit could be:

1. My hair is "re-learning" how to be unloc'd and going through growing pains

2. My hair is recovering from protein overload (before i understood what protein-moisture balance was, i used tons of protein on my under moisturized hair and its left its after affects)

3. I havent found the right products/techniques yet and just need to keep fighting the good fight

or

4. Maybe it's the Phyto???? Maybe I need to texturize with another brand after my 6 month stretch is over in December???

I just called the salon and the receptionist says they also carry Affirm or Mizani there.

My only fear is that switching to either one of these will leave me with:

1. Three different textures in my hair (the Mizani at the root, phyto on my new hair in the middle, and the phyto on my previously loc'd hair on the ends :spinning:) and

2. Switching to something new will leave me with a super weak demarcation line.

My doubts about Phyto aside, my demarcation line is so seamless into my NG that stretching is much easier than it would have been back when i was bonelaxed (my hair used to *snap* at my demarc line back in the day cause the coarseness of my NG use to act like a bully next to my permed hair and break it off)

So yeah in a nutshell:

Should I try to solve my imbalanced moisture starved, thin, weak strands of hair with a better regimen OR should I just ditch Phyto all together?

Please Help!!!

I don't have a relaxer, so I don't know how helpful this is, but at the very least, I'd like to bump your post, so others can help you.

I would first try to get your moisture balance right. I would start by mixing 2-3 tbls of apple cidar vinegar to 1-1.5 gal of filtered/distilled or spring water, and set that aside. Do a deep condition with heat under a plastic shower cap. I like elasta dpr-11 mixed with Aubrey Organics honey suckle rose conditioner, and 1 large tbls of real honey. I add just a pinch of filtered water to make the mix strech since it's really thick, and just 1-1.5 tsp of almond or jojoba oil. I mix it all together with 5-10 drops of peppermint eo for tingle. I then apply to DRY hair, working from the root out. Next I will put on the shower cap, cover that with saran wrap, and cover that with either a warm,damp towel and then a plastic bag, or at times skipping the towel and just cover it all with a platic bag. Next I will put on my soft bonnet hair dryer, and sit under it for approx 40 min -1 hr. If I don't have all that kind of time, I will do housework, or workout to get some heat in there. At times, if my hair is really freakin out, after the soft bonnet heat, I will just go to bed all wrapped up. In the morning I wil rinse it out, with my final rinse being the acv (apple cidar vinegar) rinse that I made up the day before. As this will be my final rinse to help close the cuticle of the hair. Please know that if you can smell the vinegar strongly, you need more water in your mix. There should only be the faintest of smells, and I will go away as your hair dries. I then gently squeeze out the water, and start to apply my leave-in which is Taliah Waajid Protective Bodifying mist, mixed with a little stay-so-fro gold. Once that's evenly applied (especally to the ends) I will seal with my whipped shea mix, or whipped coconut oil mix, and let it air dry. I have found that doing this once a week (if necessary) or 1x per month does the trick for me. I will use my leave in spray (homemade or aussie brand) daily sometimes misting during VERY hot days. Hth! Hopefully someone that's texlaxed can give you some advice on what to do brand wise! Good luck to ya!:yep:

I don't know the answer, but my stylist who uses Phyto says either it works or is doesn't for people and that some people's hair just laughs at it. I know that isn't telling you much, but you may want to consider other relaxer brands. I previously relaxed with affirm lye and they have a range of formulae for mild, lye/no lye sensitive scalp and resistant for coarse hair. The fiberguard versions purposely don't get hair bone straight and are meant for weaker/damaged/people who use color.They also have control formula for the lye versions where the NaOH is time released, so it gives the stylist more leeway to work. HTH some

Phyto made my hair dry when I used to use it but because I love how thick it made my hair feel, I found a way to combat the dry hair. I used to henna every 4-6 weeks, DC every 3 days (with every wash), and moisturize on wet or dry hair. I never had a problem with dryness after that.

I know how you feel though because my hair used to be really really dry! As a natural, my hair gets really dry sometimes, and I have noticed that when I incorporate cellophane for shine (the natural no color one), it helps tremendously to minimise dryness. Hope this info helps.

P.S. I had no mishaps when I did an elucence lye relaxer over my phyto hair so I am sure you won't have a problem, if you decide to switch. I think I documented everything in my fotki.

BTW, if you decide to continue with phyto, use Index 1 instead of Index 2. Index 1 NEVER made my hair thin - my hair was the THICKEST it has ever been with any relaxer. Also, be observant of how long the stylist leaves any relaxer on your hair. Washing it out quicker than the time stated on the container will help to maximise thickness of your strands. When I used Index 1, that wasn't a problem for me though because the relaxer is mild.

Thanks to everyone who bumped this for me and gave ideas.

Since I am stretching that gives me a couple months to work on combating this "hay hair" before deciding on switching or not :rolleyes:

Mystic I was considering henna but since I had that setback from too much protein and henna has protein wont that make my problem worse???

I want to avoid another protein mishap because if my shedding gets any worse i will break into tears. :nono:

Phyto made my hair dry when I used to use it but because I love how thick it made my hair feel, I found a way to combat the dry hair. I used to henna every 4-6 weeks, DC every 3 days (with every wash), and moisturize on wet or dry hair. I never had a problem with dryness after that.

I know how you feel though because my hair used to be really really dry! As a natural, my hair gets really dry sometimes, and I have noticed that when I incorporate cellophane for shine (the natural no color one), it helps tremendously to minimise dryness. Hope this info helps.

P.S. I had no mishaps when I did an elucence lye relaxer over my phyto hair so I am sure you won't have a problem, if you decide to switch. I think I documented everything in my fotki.

Hi, Bluetopia.

I'm a phyto user, and I think that the problems you are having now, may be a result of the phyto. Since you got your service done at the salon I'm wondering if you were neutralized correctly. No matter what relaxer you get, if you are not neutralized properly and have all of the relaxer washed and stripped out of your hair, your hair will not turn out right. How many times did they wash your hair? Also, have you attempted to chelate to deep clean your hair? Make sure you get a shampoo that says chelate, because it's totally different than just clarifying. A chelating poo will clean deposits within your strands, not just on your strands. Follow up with your favorite moisturizing DC for atleast 20 minutes.

Good luck!

Well, try to UP moisture by DC 2X per week. Also, use porosity control on your hair to get it back to its normal health. It will turn around sooner than you think - at least you know what the problem is so you can remedy it.

Thanks to everyone who bumped this for me and gave ideas.

Since I am stretching that gives me a couple months to work on combating this "hay hair" before deciding on switching or not :rolleyes:

Mystic I was considering henna but since I had that setback from too much protein and henna has protein wont that make my problem worse???

I want to avoid another protein mishap because if my shedding gets any worse i will break into tears. :nono:

Hi, Bluetopia.

I'm a phyto user, and I think that the problems you are having now, may be a result of the phyto. Since you got your service done at the salon I'm wondering if you were neutralized correctly. No matter what relaxer you get, if you are not neutralized properly and have all of the relaxer washed and stripped out of your hair, your hair will not turn out right. How many times did they wash your hair? Also, have you attempted to chelate to deep clean your hair? Make sure you get a shampoo that says chelate, because it's totally different than just clarifying. A chelating poo will clean deposits within your strands, not just on your strands. Follow up with your favorite moisturizing DC for atleast 20 minutes.

Good luck!

I'm also having dryness issues, and I was wondering if it was because I was not neutralized properly. In fact after my last relaxer in June, there was a slight chemical smell left on my hair...

Since I get my hair done at the salon, is there a product I can recommend to my stylist to ensure that my hair gets neutralized properly?

*I use Phyto

This was my problem with phyto's neutralizing process; I had to do way too many neutralizing washes..., it took forever for the color to run clear so I would end up neutralizing over and over. I always get a color residue - which is an indication that the hair is not neutralized enough. Because I had to neutralize for so long, I believe this contributed to the dryness of the hair after the washing process. Sometimes, I leave the neutralizer on the hair for 5mins or so to see if this would minimize the number of times I had to wash.

It is hard to miss if you do not neutralize long enough because the residue when you rinse will rinse clear or show a slight color. I don't think your problem is from not neutralizing enough but then again, that's my opinion. I used to neutralize very well and still end up with dry hair.

I'm also having dryness issues, and I was wondering if it was because I was not neutralized properly. In fact after my last relaxer in June, there was a slight chemical smell left on my hair...

Since I get my hair done at the salon, is there a product I can recommend to my stylist to ensure that my hair gets neutralized properly?

*I use Phyto

i know im hella late but thank u for this! i dont know if and when I will texturize again...but if i ever do...rather than switch to another texturizer....i will just focus on deep moisturizing only (since phyto is the equivalent of soaking ur hair in protein) :look:

Bluetopia, take a look at this thread about Phyto: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196727&highlight=phyto+dryness

The poster mentions that the dryness may be attributed to Phyto being a protein based relaxer, and that we should up or moisturizing routine.

Back